PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 3-27-15
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
3/20 - 4/3: Spring Break, No School
4/1: ANGP Ticket price goes up
4/6: Teacher Workday/No School
4/11: Mulch Day
4/16: End of Quarter - 2 hour early release
4/17: Teacher Workday/No School
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Mulch Weekend Is Quickly Approaching: Hundreds of student AND adult volunteers are needed to make mulch weekend successful. Please mark your calendars for April 11th and plan to help. It’s an awesome community spirited event and there will be awesom prizes like tv's and tablets! Parents Sign up: Adult mulch day volunteers sign up here and Students Sign up at: Student mulch day volunteers sign up here
- Food Donations for Mulch Day: Please consider donating to the food tent for mulch day. To see what is needed, please click here: Mulch Day Food Donations . Any donation you are able to make is appreciated. It takes a lot of food to feed our dedicated volunteers!
- Seniors—Mulch Day Special Drawing: Every senior who volunteers at mulch day will be entered into a special drawing for a free ticket to the ANGP!
- Seniors and Senior Parents: ANGP Update – Tickets for the Class of 2015 All Night Grad Celebration (ANGP) are on sale and prices go up March 31st. This year’s event will be held at the Alto Plaza. Tickets are currently $65 per person. For more information and to purchase a ticket, visit PTSA Website Questions? Contact Aimee Lowry or Ellen Ryder (co-chairs) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- PTSA Openings: Candidates are being sought for 2015-2016 school year positions. Current known openings are: 1st Vice President, Secretary, Bulldog BBQ Co-Coordinator, Bulldog BBQ Silent Auction Chair or Co-Chair, and SAT practice test chair. Please consider donating some of your time and talent to the academic boosters, the PTSA. Contact Cathy Pisarcik email@example.com with questions or to add your name.
- Seniors and Parents - WeStep Program: Last year, WHS instituted the Westfield Senior Transition Enrichment Program, known as WeStep which successfully helped place 44 seniors in local internships. If your senior has a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher and good attendance, then he or she has the opportunity to participate in a two week internship from May 27th through June 10th, in lieu of attending classes. The goal is to give students the opportunity to become immersed in a field they are considering. Students are responsible for obtaining their approved internships, and they must provide their own transportation. A copy of the WeStep internship application is posted under the Students link on the PTSA Website or your senior can stop by room A112 or email Ms. Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Westfield Student Earns National Scholastic Arts Award: FCPS Students earned 19 awards in the 2015 National Scholastic Art and Writing Awards program. Congratulations to Eu Hyun Yoon, Gold Medal in Drawing and Illustration for "Shatter", and Silver Medal for Painting, "Self-portrait
- PTA is proud to support the GENYOUth Foundation and its flagship program, Fuel Up to Play 60, the largest health and wellness program in schools across the country.
We are excited to share this special offer with you courtesy of the GENYOUth Foundation, which dedicated to inspiring and educating youth to improve their nutrition and increase physical activity, and Modell's Sporting Goods, one of America's oldest, family-owned and operated retailers of sporting goods, athletic footwear, active apparel and fan gear. If you live near a Modell's store, download, print and bring this PDF and use it every time you shop between March 22 and April 19. You can also shop online at Modells.com and use the discount code NFLPYM6 to receive 15% off one full-priced item.
- WeStep Sponsors Needed: The WeStep program is looking for internship sponsors! There are several students who are looking for internships in the following areas: Accounting, Business, Sales, Marketing, Aerospace Technology, Engineering, Information Technology, Medicine, Physical Therapy, Computer Science, Graphic Design, Law Offices, Law Enforcement, the Fire Department and other related fields. If you or a friend, neighbor, spouse, etc. would be willing to part of our program, please email Patty Lee at email@example.com or call at 703-288-6464. The internships placements are for our brightest students with high GPAs; nevertheless, the extent of their responsibilities could vary depending upon the career field legalities and/or sponsor’s comfort level. The internship dates are May 27th through June 10th and the hours are flexible. A sponsor letter will posted on the PTSA Website under “Students-WeStep” soon. Thank you for your consideration and help!
- Turbo-Tutoring: The next Turbo-Tutoring session at Westfield is on April 25.turbo-tutoring.com
- WHS PTSA Scholarship Applications are available on the PTSA website. The deadline is April 27th at 2:30 pm.
- WHS PTSA Membership; It’s not too late to be a member of the WHS PTSA this school year! PTSA Website
- Upcoming Sully Station Seminars: April 8th at 7:30 pm: Narcotics information seminar for adults/parents only. May 13th at 7:30 pm: Internet Safety and Sexting information seminar. Community members are invited to attend.
- AP Exams: The AP Exam dates for 2015 have been released by the College Board at the following website: AP Testing website Late testing: FCPS and Westfield High School have no control over the exam dates and times. They are set annually by the College Board and cannot be changed. Late testing is not permitted unless approved by College Board or if the student is scheduled to take more than one exam on the same day and time. Please do not schedule family vacations, events, or appointments during AP testing. Your student must take the exam on the date set by the College Board. Westfield High School orders exams based on enrollment in our AP courses. If a student drops an AP after March 20, 2015 or if the student is absent on the day of his/her AP exam, the student will be charged $15 per exam, for the unused exam fee. Westfield’s AP Exam Coordinators are Laura Gulgert and Laura Cudahy.
- Rally in Richmond: The Va PTA and Virginia Education Association have partnered to lead, Put Kids First, a movement to change the future of education in Virginia: how its funded, how its prioritized and the mandates surrounding testing. Parents, teachers and students are invited to be part of the rally in Richmond on April 18, 2015 (Rally Flier) and/or share personal stories about the effect continued reductions in funding have had on your students. Share stories at GoodforVirginia.org/PutKidsFirst Statements from teachers and parents make the message strong.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.