PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 4-8-15
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
4/10 – Mulch Delivery
4/11 – MULCH DAY!!! Please volunteer
4/11 – BITS Tutoring
4/16 – End of Quarter – 2 hour early release
4/17 – Student Holiday – no school
4/25 - Turbo Tutoring
4/28 – Partners for Safe Teen Driving
5/9 - Newly redesigned practice SAT at Westfield
5/16 - Prom
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Mulch Weekend Volunteers: Mulch day is this Saturday and hundreds of student AND adult volunteers are needed to make mulch weekend successful. It’s an awesome community spirited event and there will be prizes for students. Drivers are desperately needed!!! Parents Sign up: Adult mulch day volunteers sign up here and Students Sign up at: Student mulch day volunteers sign up here
- Seniors—Mulch Day Special Drawing: Every senior who volunteers at mulch day will be entered into a special drawing for a free ticket to the ANGP!
- The WHS PTSA will be hosting a New Redesigned SAT Practice Test on Saturday, May 9th from 8AM to 11:15AM. The test aligns with the new format of the SAT & PSAT being introduced next school year. The test changes will affect all 2017 graduates and younger. Please register using the following link http://kaplan.formstack.com/forms/new_sat.
- Painkillers & Heroin Our Community Problem: You are invited to attend a forum on painkiller and heroin abuse in Fairfax County on Monday, April 13 at 7pm at FCPS Gatehouse Administration Center in Falls Church, VA. Virginia's Secretary of Health and Human Services William A. Hazel Jr., M.D., who co-chairs the Governor's Task Force on Prescription Drug and Heroin Abuse, will be the event's keynote speaker. He will join community leaders, local experts and parents as they highlight Fairfax County's current fight against the public health epidemic of painkiller abuse and heroin use. The program is presented by the Unified Prevention Coalition of Fairfax County and Fairfax County Neighborhood and Community Services. This event is free, but due to limited space, registration is requested by April 9. Click on the link to register or RSVP.
5. Educate Yourself on College Drinking: Make plans to attend a "Perils of the College Drinking Culture" regional forum put on by the Unified Prevention Coalition of Fairfax County. The first event kicks off Tuesday, April 14 at Madison High School, hosted by the JMHS PTSA. The award-winning film HAZE will be shown. HAZE will educate parents and students about the dangers of alcohol and binge drinking. The film contains graphic imagery but is a must-see for all parents and their college-bound teens. Make plans to attend. Help us spread the word by forwarding this information to others. Click on the event flier to print out and post.
- PTSA Openings for 2015-2016 School Year: Candidates are being sought for 2015-2016 school year positions. Current openings are: President, 1st Vice President, Secretary, Bulldog BBQ Co-Coordinator, and Bulldog BBQ Silent Auction Chair or Co-Chair. Please consider donating some of your time and talent to the academic boosters, the PTSA. Contact Cathy Pisarcik firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to add your name.
- WeStep Sponsors Needed: The WeStep program is looking for internship sponsors! There are several students who are looking for internships in the following areas: Accounting, Business, Sales, Marketing, Aerospace Technology, Engineering, Information Technology, Medicine, Physical Therapy, Computer Science, Graphic Design, Law Offices, Law Enforcement, the Fire Department and other related fields. If you or a friend, neighbor, spouse, etc. would be willing to part of our program, please email Patty Lee at email@example.com or call at 703-288-6464. The internships placements are for our brightest students with high GPAs; nevertheless, the extent of their responsibilities could vary depending upon the career field legalities and/or sponsor’s comfort level. The internship dates are May 27th through June 10th and the hours are flexible. A sponsor letter will posted on the PTSA Website under “Students-WeStep” soon. Thank you for your consideration and help!
- Turbo-Tutoring: The next Turbo-Tutoring session at Westfield is on April 25.turbo-tutoring.com
- WHS PTSA Scholarship Applications are available on the PTSA website. The deadline is April 27th at 2:30 pm.
- AP Exams: The AP Exam dates for 2015 have been released by the College Board at the following website: AP Testing website Late testing: FCPS and Westfield High School have no control over the exam dates and times. They are set annually by the College Board and cannot be changed. Late testing is not permitted unless approved by College Board or if the student is scheduled to take more than one exam on the same day and time. Please do not schedule family vacations, events, or appointments during AP testing. Your student must take the exam on the date set by the College Board. Westfield High School orders exams based on enrollment in our AP courses. If a student drops an AP after March 20, 2015 or if the student is absent on the day of his/her AP exam, the student will be charged $15 per exam, for the unused exam fee. Westfield’s AP Exam Coordinators are Laura Gulgert and Laura Cudahy.
- Rally in Richmond: The Va PTA and Virginia Education Association have partnered to lead, Put Kids First, a movement to change the future of education in Virginia: how its funded, how its prioritized and the mandates surrounding testing. Parents, teachers and students are invited to be part of the rally in Richmond on April 18, 2015 (Rally Flier) and/or share personal stories about the effect continued reductions in funding have had on your students. Share stories at GoodforVirginia.org/PutKidsFirst Statements from teachers and parents make the message strong.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.