PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 4-22-15
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
4/23 – PTSA Meeting, 7 pm
4/25 – Turbo Tutoring (SAT Prep)
4/25 – BITS free tutoring, 9:30 am
4/28 – Partners for Safe Teen Driving
5/1, 2, 3, 8 & 9 – Theatre’s Pajama Game production
5/9 – Newly redesigned practice SAT at Westfield
5/16 – Senior Prom
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Seniors—Mulch Day Special Drawing: Every senior who volunteered at mulch day was entered into a special drawing for a free ticket to the ANGP! And the winner is: Alexa Millman! Congratulations! Thank you to everyone who volunteered.
- Seniors– Congratulations to Dania Tchagbeleh! Dania’s name was drawn from among those seniors whose ANGP tickets were purchased by March 31st! Dania wins an Amazon gift card.
- Partners for Safe Teen Driving – The final 90-minute program of this school year (at Westfield) will be held Tuesday, April 28th. Doors close at 7 pm and late arrivals will not be admitted. For more information, visit PSTD Information
- WHS PTSA Scholarship Applications are available on the PTSA website. The deadline is April 27th at 2:30 pm.
- Practice SAT: The PTSA and Kaplan are hosting a new redesigned SAT practice test on Saturday, May 9th from 8 am – 11:15 am. The test aligns with the new format of the SAT and PSAT that is being introduced next year. The test changes affect all 2017 graduates and younger. The cost of the test is $20. To register, please visit: Practice Test Registration
- Seniors and Senior Parents: ANGP Update – Tickets for the Class of 2015 All Night Grad Celebration (ANGP) are on sale for $70, with the price going up May 31st. For more information and to purchase a ticket, visit PTSA Website Questions and to sign up to volunteer: Contact Aimee Lowry or Ellen Ryder (co-chairs) at firstname.lastname@example.org
- PTSA Elections: Candidates are being sought for 2015-2016 school year positions. Current known openings are: 1st Vice President, Secretary, and Bulldog BBQ Co-Coordinator, Bulldog BBQ Silent Auction Chair or Co-Chair. Please consider donating some of your time and talent to the academic boosters, the PTSA. Contact Cathy Pisarcik email@example.com with questions or to add your name.
- Turbo-Tutoring: The next Turbo-Tutoring session at Westfield is on April 25. turbo-tutoring.com
- The Pajama Game: The WHS Theatre Department production will be on May 1, 2, 8 & 9 at 7:30 pm and May 3 at 2 pm. Tickets are $10 online in advance or with a valid student ID and $12 at the door. To purchase tickets, please go to www.whspjgame.weebly.com
- Families in Crisis Collection: The Families in Crisis program has been busy this year. Unfortunately, there have been many Westfield families facing unexpected crisis situations this year. The PTSA is not permitted to channel its funds to this type of support, but is honored to act as a support network. If you, someone you know or perhaps your company would be willing to donate gift cards in any $5 increment, it will allow this program to continue supporting our families. Stores such as Giant Food, Shoppers, Wal-Mart and Target seem to be best for our families but any retail location will be gratefully accepted. If you are able to donate, please either drop off your donation to the front office in an envelope marked “Families in Crisis program” or contact Meg Crossett at firstname.lastname@example.org Thank you.
- AP Exams: The AP Exam dates for 2015 have been released by the College Board at the following website: AP Testing website Late testing: FCPS and Westfield High School have no control over the exam dates and times. They are set annually by the College Board and cannot be changed. Late testing is not permitted unless approved by College Board or if the student is scheduled to take more than one exam on the same day and time. Please do not schedule family vacations, events, or appointments during AP testing. Your student must take the exam on the date set by the College Board. Westfield High School orders exams based on enrollment in our AP courses. If a student drops an AP after March 20, 2015 or if the student is absent on the day of his/her AP exam, the student will be charged $15 per exam, for the unused exam fee. Westfield’s AP Exam Coordinators are Laura Gulgert and Laura Cudahy.
- AP Exams Excused Absence Form: If you would like your student to be excused from class on the day(s) of his/her AP exams, an excused absence form must be completed and turned in by Friday, April 24th. AP Exam Absence Form All missed work is the responsibility of the student.
- Prom Dress Collection: A WHS DECA student officer is organizing a prom dress shop that will give FCPS students access to free prom dresses. Her work site, Annandale Sports of Chantily, has donated their store for the exclusive use of a prom dress shop from 1-4 pm both days. If you have a gently worn dress that you would be willing to donate (less than 5 years old), please drop it off in WHS Room F227 before school or in the main office. Thank you!
- WHS PTSA Membership: It’s not too late to be a member of the WHS PTSA this school year! PTSA Website
- Upcoming Sully Station Seminars: May 13th at 7:30 – 9 pm: Internet Safety and Sexting information seminar. Community members are invited to attend. What is sexting? What are trendy social media apps? Find out what kids are doing online, the most used apps and the far reaching effects of sexting. The Citizens’ Advisory Committee and Sully District Police Station are sponsoring this event. 4900 Stonecroft Blvd
- Perils of the College Drinking Culture Presentation: The Unified Prevention Coalition will host this presentation on Wednesday, May 20th from 7 pm to 9 pm at the Northern Virginia Community College Ernst Community Cultural Center, 8333 Little River Tnpk, Annandale. Free parking is in Lot B. The award winning film HAZE will be shown and will educate parents and students about the dangers of alcohol and binge drinking. For more information, please call 703-938-8723 or visit www.unifiedpreventioncoalition.org
- Children’s Science Center: Student lab volunteers are needed for the Children’s Science Center Lab at Fair Oaks mall. Must be 16 years of age or older and willing to serve at least 6 hours per month. For information, please visit http://childsci.org/ and to apply, email email@example.com and in the subject line, type-Lab Volunteer.
- We continue to be grateful to the local businesses whose donations to this year’s mulch day helped make the event a success! Please remember the following businesses that supported WHS:
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.