PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 5-2-15
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
5/1, 2, 3, 8 & 9 – Theatre’s Pajama Game production
5/4-5/8 - Teacher Appreciation Week
5/4-5/15 - AP Testing
5/9 – Newly redesigned practice SAT at Westfield
5/16 – Senior Prom
5/20-5/27 - SOL Testing
5/25 – Student Holiday/No School
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Teacher Appreciation Week: Teacher appreciation week begins May 4th. Please take a few minutes to thank your student’s teachers! There will be a PTSA sponsored luncheon in June but we hope that you will take a few minutes this week to show your appreciation for all that the teachers do for Westfield and your student(s)! Thank you.
- SOL Testing Window: As the window for SOL testing approaches, please be aware of the dates of your student’s tests. Please do not schedule appointments during these testing windows. Make-up SOL’s present challenges such as your student missing class time to take the make-up. To find out which tests are scheduled for which days, go to the PTSA Website and look on the calendar.
- Westfield HS Art Dept. plant sale: This ever popular sale is Friday, May 8th from 2-7pm at the outdoor basketball courts. They will have their lush flats and pots of annuals, stellar hanging baskets, perennials that you only have to plant once and return year after year (talk about reducing your work load!) and of course the ever popular tomatoes and herbs.
- Congratulations to the following Westfield Students: Abigail Martin who was selected for All-Virginia Chorus and to Cecelia Ly, Ashlly Chacon Carrion, and Bonny Allu, who each won a gold medal at the April 25th Virginia Skills USA Conference. They will compete in Louisville, K”Y in June at the National Skills USA Conference. Congratulations to all 4 of these ladies!
- Practice SAT: The PTSA and Kaplan are hosting a new redesigned SAT practice test on Saturday, May 9th from 8 am – 11:15 am. The test aligns with the new format of the SAT and PSAT that is being introduced next year. The test changes affect all 2017 graduates and younger. The cost of the test is $20. To register, please visit: Practice Test Registration
- Seniors and Senior Parents: ANGP Update – Tickets for the Class of 2015 All Night Grad Celebration (ANGP) are on sale for $70, with the price going up May 31st. For more information and to purchase a ticket, visit PTSA Website Questions and to sign up to volunteer: Contact Aimee Lowry or Ellen Ryder (co-chairs) at email@example.com
- PTSA Elections: Candidates are being sought for 2015-2016 school year positions. Current known openings are: 1st Vice President, Secretary, and Bulldog BBQ Co-Coordinator, Bulldog BBQ Silent Auction Chair or Co-Chair. Please consider donating some of your time and talent to the academic boosters, the PTSA. Contact Cathy Pisarcik firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to add your name.
- The Pajama Game: The WHS Theatre Department production will be on May 1, 2, 8 & 9 at 7:30 pm and May 3 at 2 pm. Tickets are $10 online in advance or with a valid student ID and $12 at the door. To purchase tickets, please go to www.whspjgame.weebly.com
- Families in Crisis Collection: The Families in Crisis program has been busy this year. Unfortunately, there have been many Westfield families facing unexpected crisis situations this year. The PTSA is not permitted to channel its funds to this type of support, but is honored to act as a support network. If you, someone you know or perhaps your company would be willing to donate gift cards in any $5 increment, it will allow this program to continue supporting our families. Stores such as Giant Food, Shoppers, Wal-Mart and Target seem to be best for our families but any retail location will be gratefully accepted. If you are able to donate, please either drop off your donation to the front office in an envelope marked “Families in Crisis program” or contact Meg Crossett at email@example.com Thank you.
- AP Exams: The AP Exam dates for 2015 have been released by the College Board at the following website: AP Testing website. Late testing: FCPS and Westfield High School have no control over the exam dates and times. They are set annually by the College Board and cannot be changed. Late testing is not permitted unless approved by College Board or if the student is scheduled to take more than one exam on the same day and time. Please do not schedule family vacations, events, or appointments during AP testing. Your student must take the exam on the date set by the College Board. Westfield High School orders exams based on enrollment in our AP courses. If a student drops an AP after March 20, 2015 or if the student is absent on the day of his/her AP exam, the student will be charged $15 per exam, for the unused exam fee. Westfield’s AP Exam Coordinators are Laura Gulgert and Laura Cudahy.
- WHS PTSA Membership: It’s not too late to be a member of the WHS PTSA this school year! PTSA Website
- Upcoming Sully Station Seminars: May 13th at 7:30 – 9 pm: Internet Safety and Sexting information seminar. Community members are invited to attend. What is sexting? What are trendy social media apps? Find out what kids are doing online, the most used apps and the far reaching effects of sexting. The Citizens’ Advisory Committee and Sully District Police Station are sponsoring this event. 4900 Stonecroft Blvd.
- Perils of the College Drinking Culture Presentation: The Unified Prevention Coalition will host this presentation on Wednesday, May 20th from 7 pm to 9 pm at the Northern Virginia Community College Ernst Community Cultural Center, 8333 Little River Tnpk, Annandale. Free parking is in Lot B. The award winning film HAZE will be shown and will educate parents and students about the dangers of alcohol and binge drinking. For more information, please call 703-938-8723 or visit www.unifiedpreventioncoalition.org
- Children’s Science Center: Student lab volunteers are needed for the Children’s Science Center Lab at Fair Oaks mall. Must be 16 years of age or older and willing to serve at least 6 hours per month. For information, please visit http://childsci.org/ and to apply, email firstname.lastname@example.org and in the subject line, type-Lab Volunteer.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.