PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 6-30-15
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
7/17 – Summer Stage show begins (see #12)
8/3 – Falls Sports tryouts begin
8/10 – Algebra Refresher Camp begins (See #8)
8/24 – Bulldog Bootcamp begins (See #9)
9/1 – Bulldog BBQ and silent auction (See #10)
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Update your E-blast Preference: If you no longer have a student at Westfield and do not want to receive future WHS PTSA eblasts, please unsubscribe using the link at the end of this message.
- PTSA Scholarship Winners: Congratulations to the Class of 2015 PTSA Scholarship Winners - Courtney Brown, Sydney Bush, Elizabeth Coo, Ryan Harpe, Matthew Lazor, Johnny Pace, and Nicholas Render. Thank you to all students who applied and thank you to the six members of the 2015 Scholarship Committee.
- ANGP Thank You: A huge thank you to everyone involved in the planning and the Grad Celebration! It was a great success, as judged by the smiling faces, pictures, social media posts and actual face-to-face “thank you” comments by the graduates. A special thanks to the committee chairs for the event: Aimee Lowry (chair), Jenny Murray, Lee Tyskowski and Nancy Render (tickets/paperwork), Karen Fiala (check-in), Takako Rodriguez (prizes), Kim Nguyen (casino), Veronica Delaney (publicity/photography), Kelly Roberts, Robin Lott, and Mike Mallon (security) and thanks also to WHS staff members Barb Donohue, Ella Kaulback and Patty Marvin who helped with many ANGP related things and to Patty Kirschner for helping with advertising and moral support.
- ANGP Prize Donation Thank Yous!: Please see the complete list of donors and sponsors and the links to their respective businesses (if available) at the end of this eblast and on the PTSA website (soon). We cannot thank them enough for their generosity!
- ANGP Volunteer Thank Yous!: As with most PTSA events, the ANGP is a volunteer driven event. We are very grateful to the many dedicated volunteers who braved the night and helped make this a successful event, even after being up early for graduation and celebrating with their families throughout the day! Your sacrifice was much appreciated and without you, this event could not have happened! Thanks also for your flexibility throughout the evening. Thank you to: Phyllis Anderson, Jane and Joe Angiletta, Richard Ayala, Ann and Steve Baynes, Zina Bleck, Mr. Bour (Security), Austin Branch, Mike Brown, Jennie Bush, Joseff Cockrill, Dennis and Lorena Coo, Meg Crossett, Nobuko Doran, Jim and Mary Jane Dougherty, Kelly Dunigan, Diana and Don Early, Karen Fiala, Cindy Goffredo, Alex Guevara, Sue Harpe, Wema Howard, Deanna McRae King, Stacy King, Joel Kirkham, Officer Lawson (SRO Stone Middle School), Robin Lott, John and Aimee Lowry, Jana Luther, Mike Mallon, Richard and Amy Marks, Denise Miller, Nancy Monaghan, Jenny Murray, Kim Nguyen, Elaine North, Diane O’Brien, Nancy Render, Cathy Roberson, Kelly Roberts, Matthew Robl, Cary Rodriguez, Melina Rodriguez, Takako Rodriguez, Ellen Ryder, Theresia Scoville, Mr. Thomas (Principal), Lee Tyskowski, Lumy Velea, Donna Wattelet and Officer Woloszyn (SRO Westfield High School). If we left anyone off, we sincerely apologize! Please know your help was much appreciated!
- ANGP Photos: We are very grateful to Veronica and Kevin Delaney for taking and posting the ANGP photos! To see the ANGP photos, click here: 2015 ANGP Photos
- ANGP Vendors: A thank you goes out to the ANGP vendors who helped make the event successful! They were: Alto Plaza, NYX Events, Ultimate Amusements, FrozenYo, Brick's Pizza in Centreville, and Marie Cheeks’s Caricature Artists. Our fantastic security communication devices were donated by Mike Mallon of Radio One (Chantilly).
- Parking Applications: Student parking applications are now being accepted for the 2015-2016 school year. Forms and other information can be found on the Westfield web page . Students may bring back signed forms to K102 – the security office near the cafeteria. There are very specific guidelines that students need to follow.
- Algebra Refresher Camp: The Algebra refresher camp is a summer program tailored specifically to the math class the student is taking in the fall. Sign up for the course right for the student - Algebra refresher is for students taking Algebra 1, Geometry or Algebra 2 in the fall. Algebra 1 refresher is for students retaking the Algebra 1 SOL in the fall. The class is FREE and will run August 10 – 14 from 9 am until 11:30 am. Registration required. Contact Ms. Sweitzer at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Rising 9th grade families: Please help spread the word about the PTSA to all incoming families! Please invite anyone incoming families you know to check out the PTSA webpage (ptsa.westfieldhs.org). We encourage all incoming freshmen to attend the Bulldog Bootcamp.
- Upcoming Silent Auction: The 2015 Silent Auction will be held during the Bulldog BBQ on September and possibly online ahead of time. Donations are needed please. If you have an item or service or anything that you would be willing to donate, please contact Mary Shirley at Silent Auction Donation Link Donations in the past included tickets to events, games and shows, time share or vacation homes, jewelry, services such as massages, tanning, and fitness, make up services, and so much more! Your donation will be recognized in eblasts, local newspapers and on the PTSA website. If desired, you will be provided with a tax donation letter for any donation that you make.
- Summer Parent Clinic: The FCPS Office of Intervention and Prevention Services is offering its Summer Parent Clinic. Parents can schedule a 45 minute consultation with a School Psychologist of School Social Worker. Supportive consultation is available for parents when children are experiencing social-emotional, behavioral, or academic challenges such as anxiety, attention, poor school performance, bullying, and poor peer or family interactions. School Psychologists and School Social Workers are available for parents for assistance in identifying community resources, guidance on how to manage challenging behaviors, as well as how to work collaboratively with school teams around issues of academic or behavioral concern. To schedule an appointment, please call the FCPS Parent Clinic at 703-503-2506, 703-503-2507 or email at http://www.fcps.edu/dss/parentclinic/mailform.html
- Summer Stage Presents “Mary Poppins”: Don’t miss the Westfield Summer Stage production of “Mary Poppins”! Show dates: July 17, 18, 24 and 25 at 7:30 pm and July 19 and 25 at 2:00 pm. The show will be held at Westfield. Tickets are $12 in advance and $15 at the door. Tickets link
- Summer Assignments: Summer assignments are listed on the Westfield webpage.
- ANGP Donors: Thank you to the following who donated prizes or services for the 2015 All Night Grad Celebration at Alto Plaza in Centreville. We encourage your patronage of those who support Westfield!
Fit as Ice
Wema Howard, Pay It Forward
Congratulations Class of 2015 Students AND Families!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.