PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 8-17-15
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
8/20 – PTSA Meeting, 7 pm in the Library
8/24-8/29 – Online Silent Auction
8/24 – Bulldog Bootcamp begins
8/26 – Freshman and New Student Parent Meeting
9/1 – Bulldog BBQ and Silent Auction
9/4 – Freshman and New Student Orientation
9/8 – First day of school
9/16 and 9/29 - Back To School Nights
9/19 – Practice PSAT/SAT test
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Thank You to Matthew Harris and his father, Kathleen and Ron Lazor and Beth Tweddle for their amazing clean-up work on the mulched areas in front of the school! Thanks also to Cox Farms for donating several bags of mulch! Many hours of donated time went into cleaning it up. Please help keep the area clean. Students – please don’t litter, please pick up trash if you see any and please leave the large rocks where they are. Let’s work together to keep it looking nice!
- PTSA Meeting: The first PTSA meeting of the year will be Thursday, August 20th at 7 pm in the Library. We hope to see you there!
- Upcoming Silent Auction: The 2015 Silent Auction will be held during the Bulldog BBQ on September, with items being available through an online ahead of time. To make this a success, donations are still being accepted! If you have an item or service or anything that you would be willing to donate, please contact Mary Shirley at Silent Auction Donation Link Donations in the past included tickets to events, games and shows, time share or vacation homes, jewelry, services such as massages, tanning, and fitness, make up services, gift cards, and so much more! If desired, you will be provided with a tax donation letter for any donation that you make.
- ONLINE Silent Auction: For the first time, the Silent Auction will run online prior to the auction at the Bulldog BBQ! This gives anyone who cannot make the BBQ a chance to see the fantastic items that were donated and to bid on any that interest them! The link to the online auction will be sent out in an eblast on 8/24. The online portion of the silent auction will run 8/24-8/29 and the auction will continue live on 9/1 at the Bulldog BBQ. Please help us spread the word! Sneak Peak: local restaurant donations such as Otani Japanese Steakhouse, Picante, Ciao, Great American Restaurants and Glory Days, Disney World passes, Reston Ice Rink, Westfields Golf Club and much more……
- Parking Applications: Student parking applications are now being accepted for the 2015-2016 school year. Forms and other information can be found on the Westfield web page . Students may bring back signed forms to K102 – the security office near the cafeteria. There are very specific guidelines that students must follow.
- 2 Parking Spots will be raffled: Thanks to Mr. Bour in Security, we have two of the best student parking spots that will be raffled off! At each of the parking meetings and at the Bulldog BBQ, tickets will be available. Tickets are $5 each or 5 tickets for $20. The winning students will exchange their parking pass for the close spot pass!
- Practice PSAT/SAT: The WHS PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a practice SAT/PSAT on Saturday, September 19th. The test is $20. This practice test aligns with the PSAT and the new SAT that will be given starting in 2016. To register, please visit: Practice Test Registration
- PTSA Membership: As you start filling out the essential forms for your student(s), please also fill out the downloadable PTSA membership form! If you prefer, you can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters. Thank you!
- Volunteers Needed!: Throughout the year, you will receive notice of the need for volunteers. Usually the needs are represented on our Sign Up Genius page (http://www.signupgenius.com/go/whsbulldog) and sent out through an e-blast, posted on our Facebook page, and occasionally, sent out through a Keep In Touch message. The first need will be volunteers for the Bulldog BBQ on September 1st. The beginning of the year Sign Up Genius information should be ready by Tuesday, August 18th.
- Rising 9th grade and New Student Parents: There will be a meeting on Wednesday, August 26th at 7 pm in the auditorium. At this meeting, you will be introduced to Westfield and have a chance to learn more about your student’s new school. There may be an opportunity to purchase PE uniforms.
- Rising Freshman and New Student Orientation: There will be an orientation on Friday, September 4th from 8 am until noon for all freshmen and new students. Bus transportation is available from the following elementary schools: Cub Run, Deer Park, Floris, McNair, London Towne and Virginia Run. Buses will leave each school at 7:30 am and should return at approximately 12:30 pm.
- Summer Parent Clinic: The FCPS Office of Intervention and Prevention Services is offering its Summer Parent Clinic. Parents can schedule a 45 minute consultation with a School Psychologist of School Social Worker. Supportive consultation is available for parents when children are experiencing social-emotional, behavioral, or academic challenges such as anxiety, attention, poor school performance, bullying, and poor peer or family interactions. School Psychologists and School Social Workers are available for parents for assistance in identifying community resources, guidance on how to manage challenging behaviors, as well as how to work collaboratively with school teams around issues of academic or behavioral concern. To schedule an appointment, please call the FCPS Parent Clinic at 703-503-2506, 703-503-2507 or email at http://www.fcps.edu/dss/parentclinic/mailform.html
- Summer Assignments: Summer assignments are listed on the Westfield webpage.
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.