PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 8-31-15
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
9/1 – Bulldog BBQ and Silent Auction – Volunteers Needed Volunteer Link
9/4 – Freshman and New Student Orientation
9/8 – First day of school – 8:10 am – 2:55 pm
9/16 – Back-To-School Night (11th/12th grade)
9/19 – Practice PSAT/SAT test
9/29 – Back-To-School Night (9th/10th grade)
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Bulldog BBQ: The annual Bulldog BBQ is Tuesday, September 1st from 5-8 pm – both new and seasoned students and families are encouraged to attend! This is a great time to see friends, bid in the silent auction (library), join the PTSA, check out club tables, eat dinner or a snack (most items $5), buy PE uniforms, Juniors-pay for the PSAT results, visit class tables, drop off meds in the clinic, hear the marching band, watch theatre performances, pick up schedules (as long as 3 essential forms are turned in), add money to your lunch account, and more! There will be maps available at the PTSA table and the Welcome Table. Thank you to Jeanette Schutte for the fantastic job organizing and to all committee members! Volunteers still needed please – see the link above!
- Silent Auction: The 2015 Silent Auction began online last week and is now ready to reopen at the Bulldog BBQ on Tuesday, September 1st. Bidding runs from 5 pm – 7:30 pm. You can check out the fantastic donated items and see where bids stand here: Silent Auction Link Please check out the fantastic items for sale! Items include golf outings, restaurant cards, Disney World passes, sports items from the Nats, Orioles, Caps and Redskins, tickets to great activities around the area, handmade stadium blankets, a week at a beautiful Virginia Beach condo, and more…..Please share the link with your friends and family and help make the 2015 silent auction a success! Thank you to Mary Shirley, Julie Lovejoy and Margaret Benson-McCarthy for their work on this year’s event and to the companies and individuals who donated!
- 2 Parking Spots will be raffled: Thanks to Mr. Bour in Security, we have two of the best student parking spots to raffled off! At each of the parking meetings and at the Bulldog BBQ, tickets will be available. Tickets are $5 each or 5 tickets for $20. The winning students will exchange their parking pass for the close spot pass!
- PTSA Membership: As are filling out the essential forms for your student(s), please also fill out the downloadable PTSA membership form! If you prefer, you can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters. Thank you!
- Kindle Fire HD Drawing: Everyone who joins the PTSA by October 9th will be entered into a drawing for a new Kindle Fire HD!
- Volunteers Needed!: Throughout the year, you will receive notice of the need for volunteers. Usually the needs are represented on our Sign Up Genius page (http://www.signupgenius.com/go/whsbulldog) and sent out through an e-blast, posted on our Facebook page, and occasionally, sent out through a Keep In Touch message. The first needs will be volunteers for the Bulldog BBQ on September 1st .
- Library Volunteers Needed: The library has requested parent volunteers for this year. If you are interested, please contact Mrs. Lesser at JTLesser@fcps.edu
- Health Clinic Volunteers Needed: The health clinic has requested parent volunteers this year. The Fairfax County Health Department provides free, required training for anyone who volunteers in the clinic. Two training sessions are scheduled: 10/21 from 9:30-11:30 am and again on 11/12 from 12:30-2:30 pm. Training takes place in Reston. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Frost at JEFrost@fcps.edu
- Practice PSAT/SAT: The WHS PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a practice SAT/PSAT on Saturday, September 19th. The test is $20. This practice test aligns with the PSAT and the new SAT that will be given starting in 2016. To register, please visit: Practice Test Registration
- Rising Freshman and New Student Orientation: There will be an orientation on Friday, September 4th from 8 am until noon for all freshmen and new students. Bus transportation is available from the following elementary schools: Cub Run, Deer Park, Floris, McNair, London Towne and Virginia Run. Buses will leave each school at 7:30 am and should return at approximately 12:30 pm.
- FCPS Budget Issues are Real: Please consider sending letters to the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors to let them know your feelings on the budget for the school system. State legislators are also important to contact, as the state allocates a certain percentage of funding to each county’s schools through the Local Composite Index. We are facing tough cuts this year if they do not increase the amount of money that we are allocated. Good Schools bring in good Business to the county.
- Summer Assignments: Summer assignments are listed on the Westfield webpage. Everyone has at least one assignment…..
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- PTSA Calendar: We try to keep the PTSA calendar updated with useful information about goings on around school. If you are the representative of a club or group at Westfield and would like an event you have scheduled added to the PTSA’s calendar, please email email@example.com. To check out the calendar, visit the PTSA’s webpage and click on “calendar” or see events at the bottom of the main page. PTSA calendar
- Bell Schedule: Link
- A/B Block Schedule: 2015-16 block schedule
- After School Concessions: The WABC (athletic boosters) after school concessions stand will open on the first day of school. Federal regulations require the sale of “Smart Snacks in Schools” items for the first 30 minutes and then all items are available after that until closing. Cash only.
LET’S GO BULLDOGS!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.