PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 9-28-15 - LOTS of information this week
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
9/29 – Back-To-School Night (9th/10th grade); Dog Dish Café 5-9 pm
9/29-10/2 – Underclass Picture Days during English Classes
9/30 – Deadline for ordering a student directory
10/3 – Naming and dedication of Francis L. Dall Sports Complex – 9 am
10/3 – Cornhole Tournament Fundraiser– 3 pm
10/5-10/10 – Homecoming Week, “Summer Nights”
10/6-7 – Vision and Hearing Screening (Volunteers needed)
10/9 – Student Holiday
10/9 – Staff Luncheon (Donations requested)
10/9 - Homecoming Parade (3 pm)
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Childhood Cancer Month: September is Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. The National Honor Society is collecting small toiletries, funny socks, soft hats, small games and crafts for teens in the Northern Virginia area with cancer. Please drop off any donations to the main office by Thursday, 10/1. Thank you.
- Dog Dish Café 9/29: Everyone is invited to the Café – don’t fight the traffic to go home before BTSN…..relax and enjoy dinner in the cafeteria before heading to your student’s classes. Available for purchase will be sandwiches and snacks. Thank you Karen Lowe for organizing both of these events!
- Staff Luncheon: The PTSA is sponsoring a staff appreciation luncheon on Friday, October 9th. Donations of different salads have been requested, as well as a few volunteers. If you can help, please click here
- Reflections Chair Needed!: “Let Your Imagination Fly” is this year’s theme for the Reflections contest. However, WHS PTSA has no chair for the contest. Can you volunteer some time to promote this program to our students? Information is available here Please contact Meg Crossett at firstname.lastname@example.org Thanks!
- PTSA Membership: Please join the PTSA this year! You can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage or download the membership form and send it, along with payment, to the main office. It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters.
- Kindle Fire HD Drawing: Everyone who joins the PTSA by October 9th will be entered into a drawing for a new Kindle Fire HD!
- Directory: As long as enough orders are received, there will be a student directory again this year! Directories are $10 and orders must be received by September 30th. Orders are placed using the PTSA membership form. Membership/Directory form To opt out of having your student address and phone number in the directory, you must complete the opt out portion of the membership form or the FCPS opt out form by September 30, 2015.
- Volunteers Needed!: Throughout the year, you will receive notice of the need for volunteers. Usually the needs are represented on our Sign Up Genius page (http://www.signupgenius.com/go/whsbulldog) and sent out through an e-blast, posted on our Facebook page, and occasionally, sent out through a Keep In Touch message. The next need: Vision and Hearing Screenings 10/6 and 10/7!
- FCPS Language Textbooks: New textbooks are being considered for Spanish, German and French classes, for use beginning in the 2016-17 school year. Community input has been requested. Community review of textbooks
- Homecoming Week Spirit Days: Mon (10/5)- America day; Tues (10/6) – ABC day (dress as something that your name starts with – ex: Doctor Diana); Wed (10/7) – Jersey day; Thurs (10/8) – Black Out day. Other events: Powder Puff Game – Tuesday, 10/6 at 7 pm. Tickets $5. Bonfire – Thursday, 10/8 at 7:30 pm in parking lot. S’mores will be sold.
- Homecoming Parade: Friday, 10/9 – Come see the class and other floats, marching band, dance team, elementary schools, the police and fire department representatives, and more! Starts at Cub Run Elementary School at 3 pm. (Please note the time change from previous years.)
- Homecoming Dance Tickets: Tickets will be sold during lunches – 9/28-29 ($15/ticket) and 9/30-10/8 ($20/ticket) Permission slips are needed for any non-WHS guest that a WHS student would like to bring. The dance is Saturday, 10/10 from 8:30-11:30 at school.
- Class of 2017: Homecoming float help needed. See Ms. Sweitzer (R115) or Mr. Wultors (R122) asap.
- Yearbook Pictures: All underclass student pictures will be taken during English classes between 9/29-10/2. Prepayment options are available at: prepay link or students will receive a payment envelope in their English class.
- Senior Pictures: The final days for senior pictures are 11/2 and 11/3 by appointment. Seniors who cannot make these times should contact Victor O’Neill Studios at 1-800-320-2894 extensions 100 and 500. Seniors who miss these make up days run the risk of not being pictured in the yearbook.
- Senior Yearbook Ads: The deadline for early bird pricing for yearbook ads for seniors is this Friday, October 2nd at 2 pm. After 2 pm, the prices increase and space will be limited. Order forms: senior ad order form
- Yearbook Orders: Online ordering for yearbooks, code 5577. The price is now $60 and goes up on November 1st.
- Newspaper Subscription: Due to budget constraints, The Watchdog (school newspaper) will be mailed only one time, at the end of the year. If you’d like to subscribe to receive each quarterly issue by mail or would like to support the program, click here
- Emperor Science Award Essay Contest: Essay contest for sophomores and juniors interested in science and cancer research. Deadline 11/1/15. click here
- Junior Achievement Essay Competition: For information, click here
- Meet and Greet Candidates: There are several opportunities to “meet and greet” candidates for the various offices that are up for election in November. For dates and times for areas of interest to you, visit here
- Student Volunteers Needed (Seniors – Government Hours Possibility-check with your teacher): Student volunteers are needed at the upcoming “Meet and Greet” sessions throughout the county. For information, visit here Click on the tab of the meeting day, time, and/or location in which you are interested to see available volunteer spots.
- Upcoming Election Information: To learn about what will be on the ballot in the November election, visit here
- FCPS Budget Issues are Real: For information on the budget process and to provide your input on the matters, please visit here
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- PTSA Calendar: We try to keep the PTSA calendar updated with useful information about goings on around school. If you are the representative of a club or group at Westfield and would like an event you have scheduled added to the PTSA’s calendar, please email email@example.com. To check out the calendar, visit the PTSA’s webpage and click on “calendar” or see events at the bottom of the main page. PTSA calendar
- Library Volunteers Needed: The library has requested parent volunteers for this year. If you are interested, please contact Mrs. Lesser at JTLesser@fcps.edu
- Health Clinic Volunteers Needed: The health clinic has requested parent volunteers this year. The Fairfax County Health Department provides free, required training for anyone who volunteers in the clinic. Two training sessions are scheduled: 10/21 from 9:30-11:30 am and again on 11/12 from 12:30-2:30 pm. Training takes place in Reston. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Frost at JEFrost@fcps.edu
- THANK YOU to the generous Silent Auction donors! Please support those who support WHS:
LET’S GO BULLDOGS!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.