PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 10-12-15
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
10/14 – PSAT for 9th-11th graders. Dismissal at 12:10
10/14 – Senior Class Meeting and Panoramic Picture
10/14 – “Hostage Negotiations” presentation at Sully Police Station
10/15 – PTSA Meeting, 7 pm – Mrs. Lesser’s Library Presentation
10/16 & 10/17 – Theatre’s Haunted House, 6-9 pm
10/17 – BITS tutoring begins, 9:30 am
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Reflections Contest “Let Your Imagination Fly”: The WHS Reflections contest is underway, thanks to Joe Sutliff who has volunteered to chair the contest. Entries are being accepted in the following categories: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, Visual Art and Special Artist. The submission deadline is November 5. For information, click here
- Congratulations to Jessica Suh who won a drawing that was held during the staff luncheon! She wins a one month membership to The Women’s Club!
- Kindle Fire HD Drawing: Congratulations to Melanie Paris, the winner of the 2015 PTSA Membership drawing for the new Kindle Fire HD!
- Staff Luncheon Thank Yous: Thank you to Karen Fiala for organizing last Friday’s staff lunch! Thanks also to all who donated salads and to Sini Fernandez, Tiffany Jenrette, Tracie Poston, and Adriana Rossi for volunteering during the lunch.
- Directory Advertising: Final call for directory ads! If your company or business would like to advertise in this year’s student directory, please contact April Milner at firstname.lastname@example.org Prices are very reasonable.
- Theatre’s Haunted House and Carnival, 10/16 and10/17: From 6-9 pm, the Theatre Department will host its annual Haunted House and Carnival! $6 entrance fee for all events and $3 for the carnival only (haunted house may be too scary for some). Enter at Door #13 at WHS.
- Theatre’s 2nd Annual Tag Sale: on 10/24, the Theatre Department will host it’s 2nd annual Tag Sale from 11 am - 2 pm. Items for sale include costumes, toys, clothes, decorations, and more. To donate to the sale, drop off at Door #13 on 10/18 from 11-1 or 10/20 from 3-5. Thank you for supporting the Theatre Department.
- PTSA Membership: Please join the PTSA this year! You can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage or download the membership form and send it, along with payment, to the main office. It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters.
- Directory: Enough orders were received to create a 2015-16 Student Directory! There is a little more time to purchase one – in case you were waiting to see if there’d be one! Directories are $10 and orders must be received by October 15th. Orders are placed using the PTSA membership form. Membership/Directory form
- BITS Tutoring: Saturday morning tutoring begins Saturday, 10/17. Volunteer tutors are needed and students in need of tutoring (grades 2-12) are invited. Tutors receive volunteer hour credit. Everyone must register and complete an emergency care form. Tutoring occurs three Saturday mornings per month and runs from 9:30-11:00. No one will be admitted after 9:40 am.
- FCPS Language Textbooks: New textbooks are being considered for Spanish, German and French classes, for use beginning in the 2016-17 school year. Community input has been requested now through October 22nd. Community review of textbooks
- Senior Pictures: The final days for senior pictures are 11/2 and 11/3 by appointment. Seniors who cannot make these times should contact Victor O’Neill Studios at 1-800-320-2894 extensions 100 and 500. Seniors who miss these make up days run the risk of not being pictured in the yearbook.
- Yearbook Orders: Online ordering for yearbooks, code 5577. The price is now $60 and goes up on November 1st.
- Newspaper Subscription: Due to budget constraints, The Watchdog (school newspaper) will be mailed only one time, at the end of the year. If you’d like to subscribe to receive each quarterly issue by mail or would like to support the program, click here
- Emperor Science Award Essay Contest: Essay contest for sophomores and juniors interested in science and cancer research. Deadline 11/1/15. click here
- Junior Achievement Essay Competition: For information, click here
- Meet and Greet Candidates: There are several opportunities to “meet and greet” candidates for the various offices that are up for election in November. For dates and times for areas of interest to you, visit here
- Questions for At Large School Board or Chairman of the Board Candidates? You can submit a question for Tuesday (10/13) night’s event here
- Student Volunteers Needed (Seniors – Government Hours Possibility-check with your teacher): Student volunteers are needed at the upcoming “Meet and Greet” sessions throughout the county. For information, visit here Click on the tab of the meeting day, time, and/or location in which you are interested to see available volunteer spots.
- Upcoming Election Information: To learn about what will be on the ballot in the November election, visit here
- Turbo-Tutoring, 10/27: The next Turbo-Tutoring class is on 10/27 at Briar Wood HS. For information and to register, click here
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
- FCPS Budget Issues are Real: For information on the budget process and to provide your input on the matters, please visit here
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages Department Volunteers Needed: The ESOL Department teachers have asked for help with copying and assembling booklets used by the ESOL students. This can be done at school or at home. Please contact Ms. Kuchno at JLKuchno@fpcs.edu if you can help. Thanks!
- Health Clinic Volunteers Needed: The health clinic has requested parent volunteers this year. The Fairfax County Health Department provides free, required training for anyone who volunteers in the clinic. Two training sessions are scheduled: 10/21 from 9:30-11:30 am and again on 11/12 from 12:30-2:30 pm. Training takes place in Reston. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Frost at JEFrost@fcps.edu
- Sully Police Station and Citizens Advisory Committee presentation on Hostage Negotiations, 10/14 at 7:30 pm: Detective Doug Comfort will present about how the FCPD handles hostage situations and how the department is trained to respond to a fast-moving dynamic event. RSVP: 703-814-7018 or email@example.com
- Silent Auction Donors: For a complete list of the 2015 donors to the Bulldog BBQ and silent auction, visit here
LET’S GO BULLDOGS!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.