PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 10-23-15
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
10/24 – BITS Tutoring, 9:30 am
10/24 – Theatre Department Tag Sale, 11 am-2 pm
10/27 – Turbo Tutoring
10/28 – Meet and Greet Sully Candidates (School Board & Board of Supv.)
10/30 – 2 Hour Early Dismissal and End of 1st Quarter
10/31 – Last day for current yearbook price
11/2 and 11/3 – Student Holidays
11/3 – Election Day
11/3 – Band Concert
11/4 – Reflections Contest Deadline, 12 pm
Next Few Weeks: Conference Meets/Games for Fall Sports. Good luck Bulldogs!
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Election Day, 11/3: There are many positions up for vote this election day, especially impacting to Westfield are the at large and district school board and Sully District Supervisor openings. Please be informed and make your voice heard through your vote. Information on candidates and the election can be found here and here Absentee voting is available now through the end of the month. Click here for information.
- Reflections Contest “Let Your Imagination Fly”: The WHS Reflections contest is underway, thanks to Joe Sutliff who has volunteered to chair the contest. Entries are being accepted in the following categories: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, Visual Art and Special Artist. The submission deadline is November 4th at noon. Turn submissions in to the box in the main office. For information, click here
- Theatre’s 2nd Annual Tag Sale: on 10/24, the Theatre Department will host it’s 2nd annual Tag Sale from 11 am - 2 pm. Items for sale include costumes, toys, clothes, decorations, and more. To donate to the sale, drop off at Door #13 on 10/18 from 11-1 or 10/20 from 3-5. Thank you for supporting the Theatre Department.
- Diversity Conference, 10/26 6-9pm: The Fairfax Council of PTAs is sponsoring its 5th annual Diversity Conference on Monday, 10/26 at Luther Jackson Middle School. The keynote speaker is Mauricio Velasquez, President of The Diversity Training Group. For more information and to register, click here. The PTSA welcomes you to share information about the conference if you attend. Please contact Meg Crossett at email@example.com if you would like to share.
- FCPS Parent Information Account: All FCPS parents and guardians are encouraged to register for access to the new parent account system. It will allow you to see your student’s grades, attendance information, course history and much more. If you have not yet registered, you will receive a letter in the coming days from FCPS. It will contain log in information and a time sensitive “activation key” that will expire December 1st. The link to the activation page is here. This activation page is available in multiple languages. You do not need to call or go to school to activate it.
- Families in Crisis Program: The ongoing Families in Crisis program seeks donations of gift cards as it gears up for the busy holiday season. The program works with counselors to support current WHS families facing immediate financial hardships. Through generous donations of gift cards from the community, we have been able to help several families already this year. As you can probably imagine, the need is ever present. The PTSA is not permitted to channel its funds to this type of support but we are honored to be act as a support network. If you are interested and able to donate a gift card (not cash, please) in any $5 increment, it would be greatly appreciated. If you are interested in making a large donation, please donate several smaller denomination cards as opposed to one large one. Stores such as Giant, Wal-Mart, Target, and Shoppers seem easiest for our families to access, though all gift cards are welcome! Please send donations to Meg Crossett, Families in Crisis, 4700 Stonecroft Blvd., Chantilly, VA 20151. Thank you.
- Families in Crisis Coordinator Needed: The PTSA seeks someone to learn the Families in Crisis “ropes” from our long-serving coordinator, Meg Crossett, as her daughter will be graduating this year. This volunteer spot requires the utmost in confidentiality. Ideally, the new coordinator will be the parent of a freshman or younger student(s) who can be in the role for several years. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Meg at firstname.lastname@example.org
- FCPS Budget: You’ve probably heard it over and over, but the FCPS budget issues are still very real. Please let your voice be heard – did you know that one item being considered is cutting the high school day from 7 periods to 6 periods? This would greatly impact the number of electives, AP courses, etc that students would be able to take. Also cuts to sports programs, fine and performing arts, and much more are being considered. For information and to make your voice heard, click here and write Dr. Garza at email@example.com
- PTSA Membership: Please join the PTSA this year! You can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage or download the membership form and send it, along with payment, to the main office. It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters.
- BITS Tutoring: Saturday morning tutoring continues. Volunteer tutors are needed and students in need of tutoring (grades 2-12) are invited. Tutors receive volunteer hour credit. Everyone must register and complete an emergency care form. Tutoring occurs three Saturday mornings per month and runs from 9:30-11:00. No one will be admitted after 9:40 am.
- Senior Pictures: The final days for senior pictures are 11/2 and 11/3 by appointment. Seniors who cannot make these times should contact Victor O’Neill Studios at 1-800-320-2894 extensions 100 and 500. Seniors who miss these make up days run the risk of not being pictured in the yearbook.
- Yearbook Orders: Online ordering for yearbooks, code 5577. The price is now $60 and goes up on November 1st.
- Newspaper Subscription: Due to budget constraints, The Watchdog (school newspaper) will be mailed only one time, at the end of the year. If you’d like to subscribe to receive each quarterly issue by mail or would like to support the program, click here
- Emperor Science Award Essay Contest: Essay contest for sophomores and juniors interested in science and cancer research. Deadline 11/1/15. click here
- Junior Achievement Essay Competition: For information, click here
- Meet and Greet Candidates: There are several opportunities to “meet and greet” candidates for the various offices that are up for election in November. For dates and times for areas of interest to you, visit here
- Student Volunteers Needed (Seniors – Government Hours Possibility-check with your teacher): Student volunteers are needed at the upcoming “Meet and Greet” sessions throughout the county. For information, visit here Click on the tab of the meeting day, time, and/or location in which you are interested to see available volunteer spots.
- Turbo-Tutoring, 10/27: The next Turbo-Tutoring class is on 10/27, 6:30 pm at Briar Wood HS. For information and to register, click here
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages Department Volunteers Needed: The ESOL Department teachers have asked for help with copying and assembling booklets used by the ESOL students. This can be done at school or at home. Please contact Ms. Kuchno at JLKuchno@fpcs.edu if you can help. Thanks!
- Health Clinic Volunteers Needed: The health clinic has requested parent volunteers this year. The Fairfax County Health Department provides free, required training for anyone who volunteers in the clinic. The next training session is 11/12 from 12:30-2:30 pm. Training takes place in Reston. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Frost at JEFrost@fcps.edu
- FCPD Thanksgiving Food Drive: The Sully District Police Station is running a Thanksgiving food drive through November 13th. This drive will benefit families within the Sully District. They are collecting nonperishable food items such as: canned vegetables and cranberry sauce, stuffing, cereal, gravy, instant potatoes, mac-n-cheese, dessert mixes, etc. Drop off at the station by 11/13. Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tour of McConnell Public Safety and Transportation Operations Center: 11/4, 7-9 pm. The Citizens Advisory Committee and Sully District Police Station are sponsoring the tour. Transportation provided. Reservations required. RSVP – 703-814-7051
- Silent Auction Donors: For a complete list of the 2015 donors to the Bulldog BBQ and
silent auction, visit here
LET’S GO BULLDOGS!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.