PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 11-2-15
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
11/2 and 11/3 – Student Holidays
11/3 – Election Day
11/3 – Band Concert, 7 pm
11/3 – Spirit Night – Fair Lakes Olive Garden (4-10 pm)
11/4 – Reflections Contest Deadline, 12 pm
This week: Conference and Regional Meets/Games for Fall Sports. Good luck Bulldogs!
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Election Day, 11/3: There are many positions up for vote this Election Day, especially impacting to Westfield are the at large and district School Board and Sully District Supervisor openings. Please be informed and make your voice heard through your vote. Information on candidates and the election can be found here and here
- Reflections Contest “Let Your Imagination Fly”: The WHS Reflections contest is underway, thanks to Joe Sutliff who has volunteered to chair the contest. Entries are being accepted in the following categories: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, Visual Art and Special Artist. The submission deadline is November 4th at noon. Turn submissions in to the box in the main office. For information, click here
- Giant Food Apples for the Students Program: Please register your Giant Food rewards card for their Apples for the Students Program and earn much needed funds for Westfield! At the end of the program each year, Giant gives the earned money directly to the school. The link to register is: here Westfield’s code is 03798 Thanks!
- FCPS Parent Information Account: All FCPS parents and guardians are encouraged to register for access to the new parent account system. It will allow you to see your student’s grades, attendance information, course history and much more. If you have not yet registered, you should have received a new letter from FCPS. It contains the log in information and a time sensitive “activation key” that will expire December 1st. The link to the activation page is here. This activation page is available in multiple languages. You do not need to call or go to school to activate it.
- Families in Crisis Program: The ongoing Families in Crisis program seeks donations of gift cards as it gears up for the busy holiday season. The program works with counselors to support current WHS families facing immediate financial hardships. Through generous donations of gift cards from the community, we have been able to help several families already this year. As you can probably imagine, the need is ever present. The PTSA is not permitted to channel its funds to this type of support but we are honored to be act as a support network. If you are interested and able to donate a gift card (not cash, please) in any $5 increment, it would be greatly appreciated. If you are interested in making a large donation, please donate several smaller denomination cards as opposed to one large one. Stores such as Giant, Wal-Mart, Target, and Shoppers seem easiest for our families to access, though all gift cards are welcome! Please send donations to Meg Crossett, Families in Crisis, 4700 Stonecroft Blvd., Chantilly, VA 20151. Thank you.
- Families in Crisis Coordinator Needed: The PTSA seeks someone to learn the Families in Crisis “ropes” from our long-serving coordinator, Meg Crossett, as her daughter will be graduating this year. This volunteer spot requires the utmost in confidentiality. Ideally, the new coordinator will be the parent of a freshman or younger student(s) who can be in the role for several years. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Meg at email@example.com
- Donations of Magazines Requested: The ESOL Department has requested donations of magazines. Preferred titles/subjects are: Sports Illustrated, News Magazines (Time, U.S. News, etc), Teen magazines, Teen music, Video Gaming, Technology/Mobile Phones, Readers Digest, Soccer magazines, National Geographic, Smithsonian, Magazines in other languages (any). Please drop off any donations to the main office, attention: Mrs. Kuchno, ESOL Teacher, Room A116.
- Bylaws Update: The WHS PTSA bylaws are in the process of being updated. If you would like to review the draft of the new bylaws and are a current PTSA member, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a copy. The review deadline is November 16th and the vote on the bylaws will be held at the November 19th PTSA meeting.
- FCPS Budget: You’ve probably heard it over and over, but the FCPS budget issues are still very real. Please let your voice be heard – did you know that one item being considered is cutting the high school day from 7 periods to 6 periods? This would greatly impact the number of electives, AP courses, etc that students would be able to take. Also cuts to sports programs, fine and performing arts, and much more are being considered. For information and to make your voice heard, click here and write Dr. Garza at email@example.com
- PTSA Membership: Please join the PTSA this year! You can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage or download the membership form and send it, along with payment, to the main office. It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters.
- BITS Tutoring: Saturday morning tutoring continues. Volunteer tutors are needed and students in need of tutoring (grades 2-12) are invited. Tutors receive volunteer hour credit. Everyone must register and complete an emergency care form. Tutoring occurs three Saturday mornings per month and runs from 9:30-11:00. No one will be admitted after 9:40 am. November’s dates are 11/7, 14 and 21.
- Senior Pictures: The final days for senior pictures are 11/2 and 11/3 by appointment. Seniors who cannot make these times should contact Victor O’Neill Studios at 1-800-320-2894 extensions 100 and 500. Seniors who miss these make up days run the risk of not being pictured in the yearbook.
- Junior Achievement Essay Competition: For information, click here
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages Department Volunteers Needed: The ESOL Department teachers have asked for help with copying and assembling booklets used by the ESOL students. This can be done at school or at home. Please contact Ms. Kuchno at JLKuchno@fpcs.edu if you can help. Thanks!
- Health Clinic Volunteers Needed: The health clinic has requested parent volunteers this year. The Fairfax County Health Department provides free, required training for anyone who volunteers in the clinic. The next training session is 11/12 from 12:30-2:30 pm. Training takes place in Reston. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Frost at JEFrost@fcps.edu
- FCPD Thanksgiving Food Drive: The Sully District Police Station is running a Thanksgiving food drive through November 13th. This drive will benefit families within the Sully District. They are collecting nonperishable food items such as: canned vegetables and cranberry sauce, stuffing, cereal, gravy, instant potatoes, mac-n-cheese, dessert mixes, etc. Drop off at the station by 11/13. Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tour of McConnell Public Safety and Transportation Operations Center: 11/4, 7-9 pm. The Citizens Advisory Committee and Sully District Police Station are sponsoring the tour. Transportation provided. Reservations required. RSVP – 703-814-7051
- Silent Auction Donors: For a complete list of the 2015 donors to the Bulldog BBQ and
silent auction, visit here
LET’S GO BULLDOGS!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.