PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 11-12-15
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
11/17 – Partners for Safe Teen Driving, 7 pm
11/18 – Community FCPS Budget Meeting, 7 pm (Rocky Run Middle)
11/19 – PTSA Meeting, 7 pm
11/20-22 – Theatre’s Presentation of The 39 Steps
11/24 – Academic Letter Ceremony
11/25 – 2 Hour Early Dismissal for Thanksgiving Holiday
This week: Conference, Regional and State Meets/Games for Fall Sports. Good luck Bulldogs!
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Giant Food Apples for the Students Program: Please register you Giant Food rewards card for their Apples for the Students Program and earn much needed funds for Westfield! At the end of the program each year, Giant gives money directly to the school. The link to register is: here Westfield’s code is 03798 Thanks!
- Harris Teeter Education Program: If you shop at Harris Teeter, please register your VIC card for the “Together in Education” program. Westfield’s code is 8134. You must reregister each year. Thanks!
- Target Education Giving Program: Target’s “Take Charge of Education” program is ending in May 2016 but until then, they will continue to donate funds to Westfield if you register your Red Card for the program. Westfield’s code is 11684 Thanks!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- FCPS Parent Information Account: All FCPS parents and guardians are encouraged to register for access to the new parent account system. It will allow you to see your student’s grades, attendance information, course history and much more. If you have not yet registered, you should have received a new letter from FCPS. It contains the log in information and a time sensitive “activation key” that will expire December 1st. The link to the activation page is here. This activation page is available in multiple languages. You do not need to call or go to school to activate it.
- Partners for Safe Teen Driving 11/17 at 7 pm: This program is required for all students working to earn their driver’s license. A parent must also attend. The 2nd of four sessions for the year will be held on Tuesday, 11/17. Please arrive by 6:40 pm, as once the doors close, no one will be admitted (seriously). For information on the program, click here For questions, contact Mr. Ewell at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mr. Shields at email@example.com
- Families in Crisis Program: The ongoing Families in Crisis program seeks donations of gift cards as it gears up for the busy holiday season. The program works with counselors to support current WHS families facing immediate financial hardships. Through generous donations of gift cards from the community, we have been able to help several families already this year. As you can probably imagine, the need is ever present. The PTSA is not permitted to channel its funds to this type of support but we are honored to be act as a support network. If you are interested and able to donate a gift card (not cash, please) in any $5 increment, it would be greatly appreciated. If you are interested in making a large donation, please donate several smaller denomination cards as opposed to one large one. Stores such as Giant, Wal-Mart, Target, and Shoppers seem easiest for our families to access, though all gift cards are welcome! Please send donations to Meg Crossett, Families in Crisis, 4700 Stonecroft Blvd., Chantilly, VA 20151. Thank you.
- Families in Crisis Coordinator Needed: The PTSA seeks someone to learn the Families in Crisis “ropes” from our long-serving coordinator, Meg Crossett, as her daughter will be graduating this year. This volunteer spot requires the utmost in confidentiality. Ideally, the new coordinator will be the parent of a freshman or younger student(s) who can be in the role for several years. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Meg at firstname.lastname@example.org
- FCPS Outstanding Employee Nominations: FCPS has opened its “Outstanding Teacher” recognition program. There are several other categories which open for nominations in the near future. If you would like to nominate someone, please click here for details. The “Outstanding Teacher” nominations close January 6th.
- Donations of Magazines Requested: The ESOL Department has requested donations of magazines. Preferred titles/subjects are: Sports Illustrated, News Magazines (Time, U.S. News, etc), Teen magazines, Teen music, Video Gaming, Technology/Mobile Phones, Readers Digest, Soccer magazines, National Geographic, Smithsonian, Magazines in other languages (any). Please send any donations to the main office, attention: Mrs. Kuchno, ESOL Teacher, Room A116.
- Bylaws Update: The WHS PTSA bylaws are in the process of being updated. If you would like to review the draft of the new bylaws and are a current PTSA member, please email email@example.com to request a copy. The review deadline is November 16th and the vote on the bylaws will be held at the November 19th PTSA meeting.
- FCPS Budget Update: There will be a budget input meeting on Wednesday, 11/18 from 7 pm to 9 pm at Rocky Run Middle School on Stringfellow Road. The Budget Task Force has put together proposals regarding how/where to make the projected $50-$75 million cuts and FCPS has asked for your input. Please attend if you can – we need to be sure that our voices are heard. For information on the proposals, click here.
- PTSA Membership: Please join the PTSA this year! You can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage or download the membership form and send it, along with payment, to the main office. It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters.
- Academic Letter Ceremony: In recognition of WHS students who earned a 4.0 or higher during the 2014-2015 school year, there will be an Academic Letter Ceremony on Tuesday, 11/24. Parents of students who earned the letter have received an invitation to the ceremony. Congratulations!
- BITS Tutoring: Saturday morning tutoring continues. Volunteer tutors are needed and students in need of tutoring (grades 2-12) are invited. Tutors receive volunteer hour credit. Everyone must register and complete an emergency care form. Tutoring occurs three Saturday mornings per month and runs from 9:30-11:00. No one will be admitted after 9:40 am. The remaining November dates are 11/14 and 21.
- Choral Program Flapjack Fundraiser: Applebee’s and the WHS Choral program are joining together to host a Flapjack Fundraiser on December 5th from 8 am to 10 am at the Chantilly Applebee’s (4995 Westone Plaza Dr). Tickets are $10. To order, email firstname.lastname@example.org or tickets may be purchased at the door. Breakfast includes pancakes, sausage, scrambled eggs, and a beverage. Thanks for your support!
- Theatre’s Presentation of The 39 Steps: Two different casts will star in the upcoming presentation! Friday, 11/20 and Saturday afternoon, 11/21 will feature the Hitchcock Cast and Saturday evening, 11/21 and Sunday afternoon, 11/22 will feature the Alfred Cast. For more information and to purchase tickets, click here.
- Turbo-Tutoring: On December 2nd, Turbo Tutoring will offer its final class for the current SAT format. (The new SAT format classes begin in the new year.) For more information and to register, click here Please indicate that you were referred by the WHS PTSA.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages Department Volunteers Needed: The ESOL Department teachers have asked for help with copying and assembling booklets used by the ESOL students. This can be done at school or at home. Please contact Ms. Kuchno at JLKuchno@fpcs.edu if you can help. Thanks!
- FCPD Thanksgiving Food Drive: The Sully District Police Station is running a Thanksgiving food drive through November 13th. This drive will benefit families within the Sully District. They are collecting nonperishable food items such as: canned vegetables and cranberry sauce, stuffing, cereal, gravy, instant potatoes, mac-n-cheese, dessert mixes, etc. Drop off at the station by 11/13. Questions? email@example.com
- Junior Achievement Essay Competition: For information, click here Deadline: 12/8
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
- Silent Auction Donors: For a complete list of the 2015 donors to the Bulldog BBQ and
silent auction, visit here
Good luck to the Field Hockey Team and Sara Freix (Cross Country) as they compete for state championships!
LET’S GO BULLDOGS!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.