PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 11-24-15
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
11/25 – 2 Hour Early Dismissal for Thanksgiving Holiday
Now through 11/30 – Nonperishable Food Drive
12/1 – Financial Aide Night (see below)
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Practice SAT Test: The PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a newly redesigned SAT or ACT practice test on Saturday, January 9th from 8 am – 12 pm at Westfield. At registration, the student decides which practice test to take. There is a $20 fee to take the test. To register or for more information, please click here (Remember: these are practice tests and the scores are not reported.)
- Turbo-Tutoring: On December 2nd, Turbo Tutoring will offer its final class for the current SAT format. (The new SAT format classes begin in the new year.) For more information and to register, click here
- Library Fundraiser at Barnes and Noble: On Saturday, 12/5, from 1 pm to 5 pm, Barnes and Noble in Fair Lakes is holding a fundraiser to benefit the WHS Library. There will be performances by WHS music groups, face painting and bookmark making. If you are unable to attend on 12/5, there is an online fundraiser that runs from 12/5-12/10. Please go to BN.Com/bookfairs and enter Bookfair ID 11746906 at checkout. The place to enter the code is quite small, but it is there. Questions? Contact Ms. Lesser at firstname.lastname@example.org or Ms. Koenig at email@example.com Thank you!
- Financial Aide Night, December 1st at 7 pm: The WHS and Chantilly Student Services Departments have joined forces to bring senior and junior families an informative Financial Aide Night. Learn about the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), the CSS Profile and general scholarship searches. The event will be held in the Chantilly High School Auditorium.
- Non-Perishable Food Drive: There is a nonperishable food drive underway that ends on 11/30! Students are asked to bring a nonperishable food item to their 7th period classes. The 7th period class that collects the most items will win a pizza party!
- Hypnotist Show, December 3rd: The SGA is sponsoring a Hypnotist Show on Thursday, December 3rd at 7 pm in the auditorium. Admission is $10 per person.
- Winter Guard Fundraiser, December 1st: Firehouse Subs (2545 Centreville Rd., Clocktower Shopping Center) is hosting a fundraiser to benefit the newly formed WHS Winter Guard. Purchases all day can benefit the guard if you tell them you are there supporting the WHS Winter Guard. Or you can get a flier from the WHS Band’s Facebook page.
- Choral Program Flapjack Fundraiser, December 5th: Applebee’s and the WHS Choral program are joining together to host a Flapjack Fundraiser on December 5th from 8 am to 10 am at the Chantilly Applebee’s (4995 Westone Plaza Dr). Tickets are $10. To order, email firstname.lastname@example.org or tickets may be purchased at the door. Breakfast includes pancakes, sausage, scrambled eggs, and a beverage. Thanks for your support!
- Giant Food Apples for the Students Program: Thank you for alerting us to the nonworking Giant number. Our Ways and Means coordinator is trying to figure out the issue with Westfield’s code in the Giant program. Once it is resolved, we will ask you to register your card if you are willing. Thanks!
- Harris Teeter Education Program: If you shop at Harris Teeter, please register your VIC card for the “Together in Education” program. Westfield’s code is 8134. You must reregister each year. Thanks!
- Target Education Giving Program: Target’s “Take Charge of Education” program is ending in May 2016 but until then, they will continue to donate funds to Westfield if you register your Red Card for the program. Westfield’s code is 11684 Thanks!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- FCPS Parent Information Account: All FCPS parents and guardians are encouraged to register for access to the new parent account system. It will allow you to see your student’s grades, attendance information, course history and much more. If you have not yet registered, you should have received a new letter from FCPS. It contains the log in information and a time sensitive “activation key” that will expire December 1st. The link to the activation page is here. This activation page is available in multiple languages. You do not need to call or go to school to activate it.
- Families in Crisis Program: The ongoing Families in Crisis program seeks donations of gift cards as it gears up for the busy holiday season. The program works with counselors to support current WHS families facing immediate financial hardships. Through generous donations of gift cards from the community, we have been able to help several families already this year. As you can probably imagine, the need is ever present. The PTSA is not permitted to channel its funds to this type of support but we are honored to be act as a support network. If you are interested and able to donate a gift card (not cash, please) in any $5 increment, it would be greatly appreciated. If you are interested in making a large donation, please donate several smaller denomination cards as opposed to one large one. Stores such as Giant, Wal-Mart, Target, and Shoppers seem easiest for our families to access, though all gift cards are welcome! Please send donations to Meg Crossett, Families in Crisis, 4700 Stonecroft Blvd., Chantilly, VA 20151. Thank you to all who have already donated cards! Your generosity makes a difference.
- Families in Crisis Coordinator Needed: The PTSA seeks someone to learn the Families in Crisis “ropes” from our long-serving coordinator, Meg Crossett, as her daughter will be graduating this year. This volunteer spot requires the utmost in confidentiality. Ideally, the new coordinator will be the parent of a freshman or younger student(s) who can be in the role for several years. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Meg at email@example.com
- FCPS Outstanding Employee Nominations: FCPS has opened its “Outstanding Teacher” recognition program. There are several other categories which open for nominations in the near future. If you would like to nominate someone, please click here for details. The “Outstanding Teacher” nominations close January 6th.
- Donations of Magazines Requested: The ESOL Department has requested donations of magazines. Preferred titles/subjects are: Sports Illustrated, News Magazines (Time, U.S. News, etc), Teen magazines, Teen music, Video Gaming, Technology/Mobile Phones, Readers Digest, Soccer magazines, National Geographic, Smithsonian, Magazines in other languages (any). Please send any donations to the main office, attention: Mrs. Kuchno, ESOL Teacher, Room A116.
- PTSA Membership: Please join the PTSA this year! You can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage or download the membership form and send it, along with payment, to the main office. It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters.
- BITS Tutoring: Saturday morning tutoring continues. Volunteer tutors are needed and students in need of tutoring (grades 2-12) are invited. Tutors receive volunteer hour credit. Everyone must register and complete an emergency care form. Tutoring occurs three Saturday mornings per month and runs from 9:30-11:00. No one will be admitted after 9:40 am. The December dates are 12/5 and 12/12.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages Department Volunteers Needed: The ESOL Department teachers have asked for help with copying and assembling booklets used by the ESOL students. This can be done at school or at home. Please contact Ms. Kuchno at JLKuchno@fpcs.edu if you can help. Thanks!
- Junior Achievement Essay Competition: For information, click here Deadline: 12/8
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
- Silent Auction Donors: For a complete list of the 2015 donors to the Bulldog BBQ and silent auction, visit here
- We extend our deepest condolences to the Bouveron family. As announced in a Keep In Touch message today, Conor, a Class of 2015 Bulldog, passed away suddenly. Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. Conor will be greatly missed.
Good luck to the football team as they continue their playoff run! The next game is Saturday, 11/28 at 1:30 pm at Lake Braddock HS. Tickets are $7.
HAPPY THANKSGIVING BULLDOGS!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.