PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 12-13-15
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
12/15: Chorus Concert, 7:30 pm
12/16: Punch and Pie event for WHS Staff (donations requested)
12/17: Orchestra Concert, 7:30 pm
12/18: 2 Hour Early Release
12/18: Ho Ho Holiday Show, 7 pm
12/19: Ho Ho Holiday Show, 2 pm
12/21 – 1/1: Winter Break
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Student Directories: Student directories were distributed to 7th period teacher mailboxes on Friday. If you purchased a directory, your student should receive his/hers in the next few days. Thank you to April Milner, Directory Chair, for doing a fantastic job and to Kelly Roberts for all the help. Thanks also to the sponsors, including K and K Flooring, Damon Nicholas Real Estate, SYA and Ben Cox Carpentry.
- “Punch and Pie” for WHS’s Fantastic Staff (Donations Requested): To help kick off Winter Break for our fantastic staff, there will be a “Punch and Pie” event for the staff on Wednesday, December 16th. Donations of pies and desserts have been requested. To see what is needed, please click here or contact Karen Fiala at email@example.com with questions. Please drop off donations in disposable containers to the main office by 2 pm on Wednesday. Thank you!
- Practice SAT Test: The PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a practice newly redesigned SAT or ACT test on Saturday, January 9th from 8 am – 12 pm at Westfield. At registration, the student decides which practice test to take. There is a $20 fee to take the test. To register or for more information, please click here
- Theatre’s Ho Ho Holiday Show: The annual WHS Children’s Theatre “Ho Ho Holiday Show” is coming! Join us as over 75 theatre students direct and perform a variety of holiday stories, including The Grinch, A Very Harry Potter Hanukkah, A Year Without Santa Claus, The Snowman, Twas the Night Before Christmas, and Charlie Brown’s Christmas. Tickets are just $5 each at the door for general admission seating. Two Shows: Friday, 12/18 at 7 pm and Saturday, 12/19 at 2 pm.
- WeSTEP is coming: Seniors interested in an internship in June are invited to be part of WeSTEP! Needed is 2.5 or higher GP and strong attendance. WeSTEP applications are available on the Westfield website under the “Seniors” link or can be picked up in room E101. Mrs. Lee can talk with seniors about internship placements as well.
- WeSTEP Community Sponsors Needed: Westfield High School is looking for business partnerships for the 2016 WHS WeSTEP Internship Program. The program runs from June 6th through June 17th. All interns satisfy high standards, including grade, attendance and discipline records reviews. To participate, your organization should be able to offer an intern a minimum of 60 hours of work. We seek paid and unpaid internships. The program was such a success last year that at least 23 of our seniors were offered summer employment! Please contact Patricia Lee at PYLee@fcps.edu for additional information about the program and to see if we can help you find the perfect intern(s). Your collaboration is an important part of the education of our seniors, and we look forward to working with you.
- Yearbook Senior Ads: The deadline for senior ads for the yearbook is December 18th. The order forms is located here
- Senior Brags for Yearbook: Senior Parents – can you please check with your Class of 2016 student to see if he/she has completed the yearbook “brag” form which lists their activities and accomplishments? Only about 100 students have completed it. To complete it, click here
- Yearbook Orders: Yearbook orders are being taken now. The current price is $70. Over 60% of yearbooks that will be printed have already been sold. Don’t wait until June – the price will be higher and the yearbook might be sold out. To order, click here and use code 5577.
- Giant Food Apples for the Students Program: Our coordinator, Bhavani Koneru, has solved the Giant Bonus Card issue and Westfield is an option when registering your bonus card. Please register yourself and anyone else you can for the program! All money earned goes directly to the school and is used to support the students and staff. To register, please click here. Westfield's code is 03798 You do not have to reregister, if you enrolled in the past. Thank you!
- Harris Teeter Education Program: If you shop at Harris Teeter, please register your VIC card for the “Together in Education” program. Westfield’s code is 8134. You must reregister each year. Thanks!
- Target Education Giving Program: Target’s “Take Charge of Education” program is ending in May 2016 but until then, they will continue to donate funds to Westfield if you register your Red Card for the program. Westfield’s code is 11684 Thanks!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- Families in Crisis Coordinator Needed: The PTSA seeks someone to learn the Families in Crisis “ropes” from our long-serving coordinator, Meg Crossett, as her daughter will be graduating this year. This volunteer spot requires the utmost in confidentiality. Ideally, the new coordinator will be the parent of a freshman or younger student(s) who can be in the role for several years. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Meg at firstname.lastname@example.org
- FCPS Outstanding Employee Nominations: FCPS has opened its “Outstanding Teacher” recognition program. There are several other categories which open for nominations in the near future. If you would like to nominate someone, please click here for details. The “Outstanding Teacher” nominations close January 6th.
- State Champion Football Team Spirit Wear: Anyone interested in ordering Football team State Champion spirit wear, can place an order here The deadline is December 20th. Orders will take about three weeks and will be shipped to the school for distribution.
- Donations of Magazines Request Continues: The ESOL Department has requested donations of magazines. Preferred titles/subjects are: Sports Illustrated, News Magazines (Time, U.S. News, etc), Teen magazines, Teen music, Video Gaming, Technology/Mobile Phones, Readers Digest, Soccer magazines, National Geographic, Smithsonian, Magazines in other languages (any). Please send any donations to the main office, attention: Mrs. Kuchno, ESOL Teacher, Room A116.
- PTSA Membership: Please join the PTSA this year! You can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage or download the membership form and send it, along with payment, to the main office. It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters.
- BITS Tutoring: Saturday morning tutoring will continue in the New Year.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages Department Volunteers Needed: The ESOL Department teachers have asked for help with copying and assembling booklets used by the ESOL students. This can be done at school or at home. Please contact Ms. Kuchno at JLKuchno@fpcs.edu if you can help. Thanks!
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
- Silent Auction Donors: For a complete list of the 2015 donors to the Bulldog BBQ and silent auction, visit here
CONGRATULATIONS TO THE
STATE CHAMPION BULLDOG FOOTBALL TEAM!
ENJOY YOUR BREAK BULLDOGS!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.