PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 1-8-16
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
1/9: Practice SAT or ACT Test, 8 am. Register here.
1/9: BITS tutoring resumes, 9:30 am
1/11-1/15: Children’s Book Challenge (see below)
1/12: Junior “Planning for College Night”, 7 pm in the auditorium
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Practice SAT or ACT Test: The PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a practice newly redesigned SAT or ACT test this Saturday, January 9th from 8 am – 12 pm at Westfield. At registration, the student decides which practice test to take. There is a $20 fee to take either test. To register or for more information, please click here . Walk-ins welcome. Please arrive at 7:45 am and report to the cafeteria. Please remember a calculator, pencils, and snacks.
- Volunteers Needed for Saturday morning: A few parent volunteers are needed to help with student check-in for the practice test. Help is needed from 7:40 am until no later than 8:30 am. If you can help, please email email@example.com Thank you!
- Children’s Book Challenge: Next week, January 11-15, Westfield is holding a children’s book challenge. Students and families are invited and encouraged to participate in the creation of a new library for the ever increasing numbers of English for Speakers of Other Languages. Please bring a new or gently used children’s book to school next week and leave it in one of the boxes that will be located at doors 1, 11, and 13 or in Subschool 1. Please write a personal note, your name and/or graduation year in the book and be a part of this lasting legacy that will help students learn for years to come. The goal is for every student to participate – Please help us meet that goal! Thank you! Questions? Please email Mr. Van Trees at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2016-2017 Academic Course and Advising Schedule: The link to the 2016-2017 academic advising calendar and the course catalogs, which may vary based on when your student began 9th grade, can be found here. Please encourage your students to take this process seriously, as changing classes after the deadline is difficult and often times, it is not possible to switch into some courses because they are full. Staffing decisions are based on student enrollment.
- Mulch Sale: The annual mulch sale will begin soon. Please keep the WHS Mulch sale in mind as you plan your spring mulch needs. Delivery weekend is April 9th. More information will follow soon.
- Mulch Committee Chair Openings (seeking volunteers to “shadow” this year): Several mulch committee chair positions will open in the next year or so and we seek volunteers to "shadow" current committee chairs. These include: mulch chair, publicity, routes, sales, and hospitality. Please be involved with this annual community event – there is a short busy period leading up to the event and the delivery itself is hectic, but then it’s over. Please contact Julie Glowacki at email@example.com if you have questions or would like to hear about the positions. Thank you!
- Budget Update: Dr. Garza presented the Fiscal Year 2017 budget on January 7th. For information, please click here. Please continue to be involved as the process continues. The school board will hold a public hearing on January 25th with a budget work session scheduled for Thursday, January 28th. Important dates can be found here. The budget process is far from over and public input will continue to be needed.
- Superintendent Garza’s Listening Tour: Dr. Garza will hold 5 listening tour meetings in the coming weeks. The closest meeting to Westfield will be at Centreville High School on February 29th at 6:30 pm. Other dates and information can be found here. If you plan to attend, it is requested that you register here.
- WeSTEP is coming: Seniors interested in an internship in June are invited to be part of WeSTEP! Needed is 2.5 or higher GP and strong attendance. WeSTEP applications are available on the Westfield website under the “Seniors” link or can be picked up in room E101. Mrs. Lee can talk with seniors about internship placements as well.
- WeSTEP Community Sponsors Needed: Westfield High School is looking for business partnerships for the 2016 WHS WeSTEP Internship Program. The program runs from June 6th through June 17th. All interns satisfy high standards, including grade, attendance and discipline records reviews. To participate, your organization should be able to offer an intern a minimum of 60 hours of work. We seek paid and unpaid internships. The program was such a success last year that at least 23 of our seniors were offered summer employment! Please contact Patricia Lee at PYLee@fcps.edu for additional information about the program and to see if we can help you find the perfect intern(s). Your collaboration is an important part of the education of our seniors, and we look forward to working with you.
- All Night Grad Party: Plans are underway for the 2016 All Night Grad Celebration. Please watch your email for information. It will be available soon.
- Planning for College: On Tuesday, January 12th at 7 pm, the WHS Student Services Department will sponsor a “Planning for College Night”. Wondering what students should be doing to prepare for college? Interested in information about community college? Want to learn more about private schools, financial aid and scholarships? At this event, there will be a panel of college admissions representatives who will present this information and answer questions. This is intended for juniors and their parents/guardians.
- SOL Retakes: SOL retakes began this week. Students who need to test have received letters and they will receive passes to their test(s). They can check in the Student Services Department or with their counselors if they aren’t sure about retaking a test. Students need to pass a certain number of SOLs to graduate. For the days when specific tests will be administered, please visit here. Please encourage your student to review for their test if they need to retake one. Past tests, which have been released by the Virginia Department of Education can be found here.
- Yearbook Orders: Yearbook sales are ongoing. The current price is $70. Over 60% of yearbooks that will be printed have already been sold. Don’t wait until June – the price will be higher and the yearbook might be sold out. To order, click here and use code 5577.
- Giant Food Apples for the Students Program: Our coordinator, Bhavani Koneru, has solved the Giant Bonus Card issue and Westfield is an option when registering your bonus card. Please register yourself and anyone else you can for the program! All money earned goes directly to the school and is used to support the students and staff. To register, please click here. Westfield's code is 03798 Thank you!
- Harris Teeter Education Program: If you shop at Harris Teeter, please register your VIC card for the “Together in Education” program. Westfield’s code is 8134. You must reregister each year. Thanks!
- Target Education Giving Program: Target’s “Take Charge of Education” program is ending in May 2016 but until then, they will continue to donate funds to Westfield if you register your Red Card for the program. Westfield’s code is 11684 Thanks!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- Donations of Magazines Request Continues: The ESOL Department has requested donations of magazines. Preferred titles/subjects are: Sports Illustrated, News Magazines (Time, U.S. News, etc), Teen magazines, Teen music, Video Gaming, Technology/Mobile Phones, Readers Digest, Soccer magazines, National Geographic, Smithsonian, Magazines in other languages (any). Please send any donations to the main office, attention: Mrs. Kuchno, ESOL Teacher, Room A116.
- Turbo-Tutoring: The next Turbo-Tutoring session will take place on January 20th at Briar Woods High School from 6:30-9:00 pm. For information and to register, please click here
- PTSA Membership: It's not too late to join the PTSA this year! You can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage or download the membership form and send it, along with payment, to the main office. It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters.
- Sully Station Police Department and Citizens Advisory Committee Present “Cold Case!” On Wednesday, January 13 from 7:30-9:00 pm, will present an intriguing look at how the cold case unit works and solves cases. The presentation will be at the Sully District Station, 4900 Stonecroft Blvd.
- BITS Tutoring: BITS tutoring in January will be on the 9th, 23rd and 30th.
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
- Silent Auction Donors: For a complete list of the 2015 donors to the Bulldog BBQ and silent auction, visit here . We appreciate our sponsors!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.