PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 3-28-16
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
Now-4/8 – Mulch Day Volunteer and Food Donation Sign Ups! Please help.
3/31 – Senior Parents 3 Months until Graduation Meeting, 7 pm
4/1 – Is now a “B” Day (it shows as an “A” day on the printed calendars)
4/2 – BITS Free Tutoring for 3rd-12th graders, 9:30-11:00 am
- BITS Tutoring: BITS tutoring will resume this Saturday, April 2nd in the Library at Westfield. This is FREE tutoring for all 3rd-12th grade students in the Westfield pyramid. Please spread the word!
- 2016 Forklift Drivers needed for Mulch Day (April 8th and/or 9th): Two more forklift drivers are needed for this year’s mulch day. Help is needed with unloading mulch from the delivering tractor trailers and loading it into the vehicles used to deliver to our customers. Experience helpful but not required. We have experienced drivers who can show you what to do. Please contact Karen Duncan with questions or to volunteer. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mulch Volunteers (April 8th and 9th)—WE NEED YOU!: Many volunteers will be needed to help deliver all that mulch! Sign-up at the PTSA website.. Student AND adult volunteers are needed to make this event a success. Adults are needed mostly to drive students to the mulch deliveries. Please mark your calendars for April 8th and/or 9th and join the annual Westfield community event! Great for service hours – we will sign forms! Questions? Contact email@example.com
- Food Donations for Mulch Day: Please help feed the many volunteers who work on mulch day! Click here to sign up. There are signs ups for everything from food to supplies to monetary donations. Thank you! (If you’d like a tax receipt, please let Karen Fiala know. Her contact information is on the sign up page. The PTSA is a 501c3 organization.)
- All Night Grad Party Volunteers Needed, June 21st—Underclass, Senior and Alum Parents Invited and Encouraged to help: This event takes place the night of graduation and is a drug-and-alcohol-free event celebrating the current year graduates. This year, the event will be held at Westfield with certain areas of the building being transformed into a fun celebration zone and includes a magician/illusionist, mechanical bull, DJ, Casino, lots of games, prizes, food, movie theater, and more! This annual event is the culmination of four years of hard work for the graduates and a chance for them to celebrate their success! MANY volunteers (parents of students in all grades) are needed for the various committees such as games and prizes, food, and security. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer or with questions.
- ANGP Tickets and Risk Forms: Seniors can now purchase their 2016 ANPG tickets at $40 each! ANGP is the drug-and-alcohol-free celebration the night of graduation and celebrates the Class of 2016 graduating seniors! For more information and to purchase tickets, click here and then click on the links above the graduation hat! After buying a ticket, risk forms must be completed and turned into the main office. Every attendee must have completed risk forms, even if they are 18 years old or older.
- ANGP Prize Basket Donations Requested: Part of the fun of the ANGP is winning prizes! Each year, there are a number of themed baskets donated by community members and senior parents. If you are interested in putting together a themed basket (college theme, dorm room, summer fun, laundry, etc), please sign up here. A tax deductible receipt is available if needed.
- PTSA Board Opening - Treasurer: The PTSA seeks someone to become the PTSA Treasurer beginning in July. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Meg Crossett at email@example.com No experience is needed, though a financial background is helpful. The current treasurer will provided training, if needed.
- Practice SAT or ACT: The PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a practice SAT or ACT (student choice at registration) on April 30th at 8 am. This is a chance to take a full length (no essay) practice test to see where your strengths and areas for improvement are. Scores are for your use only and are not reported. To register, click here and go to the Practice Test button. There is a $20 fee to take the test.
- Congratulations to Zoe Seal who won 2nd place in the Regional National History Day Competition for her Historical Paper. We apologize for leaving Zoe’s name off on the previous E-Blast.
- Turbo-Tutoring ACT Prep Class (New): Turbo-tutoring is now holding ACT prep classes. The first will be April 7th at 6:30 pm at Westfield. To register, please click here.
- PTSA Panel Discussion: Westfield Alums will discuss the topic “What would I do differently to get into college?”: On Thursday, April 14th at 7 pm in the Lecture Hall, a panel of WHS alums will discuss college preparation: what they did and what they would do differently knowing what they do now. Following a discussion, there will be a question and answer period. Students and parents/guardians are welcome to attend.
- Special Education Conference: The conference is free and open to parents, educators and community members. Attend the conference to learn the latest research, strategies, and trends in the education of students with learning challenges, special needs, and disabilities. Workshop topics will include executive functioning skills, dyslexia, learning challenges, anxiety, autism spectrum disorder and much more! The Exhibit Hall will feature vendors from Fairfax County Public Schools, government agencies and non-profit organizations. The conference is Saturday, April 9th from 8 am to 2:30 pm at Hayfield High School. (If you plan to attend this conference, please consider helping with Mulch Delivery on Friday evening, April 8th --We need your help!) Link to Informational flier
- FCPS Summer Program Registration: Registration is open for some of the courses and programs offered by FCPS in the summer. For information, click here.
- Seniors: Want to earn that black cord for graduation? The Service Hours Record Sheet can be found here Mulch Day is a great way to earn service hours!
- PTSA Scholarship Applications: PTSA Scholarship applications will be available later this week. The deadline for submission is May 2nd. PTSA volunteering is one of the considerations for candidates. Mulch Day volunteering is a great way to accumulate PTSA related volunteering hours!
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
In a closing note, the PTSA extends its deepest sympathy to Mr. Greiner's family, colleagues, and students. The impact Mr. Greiner had on so many in the Westfield community and beyond is immeasurable. During this difficult time, we wish you peace and comfort.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.