PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 4-19-16
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
April 21 – Last day of 3rd quarter/2 hour early release
April 22 – No School for students/Teacher Workday
April 29-30 – Theatre’s production of Footloose, 7 pm
April 30 – Practice SAT or ACT test
April 30 – Turbo Tutoring (SAT prep)
May 1 – Theatre’s production of Footloose, 2 pm
May 2-6 – Teacher Appreciation Week
May 4 – PTSA Scholarship application deadline
- Westfield Business Owners Association Kudos: Congratulations to the Westfield Business Owner’s Association, one of Westfield’s business partners! WBOA was named as one of five finalists in the 2016 FCPS Outstanding Business Partner Award, noted for its dedication, support, and help for students at several schools, including Westfield! We appreciate all that WBOA does to support Westfield!
- Mulch Day Thank You!: Thank you to everyone who helped make Mulch Day a success! Hundreds of student and adult volunteers answered the call, braved the weather, got sore muscles and delivered all the mulch on Friday night and Saturday by 3:30 pm! Thank you to the Mulch Committee who coordinated the event: Julie Glowacki (chair), John Sodomka, Becky Free, Karen Duncan, Karen Fiala, Mindy Conway, Stephanie Somers, Veronica Delaney, Mark Rogers, Ron and Jennifer Campbell! And thank you to WHS staff members who were a huge help: Dr. Copeland, Jose Ardon, Rasheka Barnes, Alex Callas, Patty Kirschner, Kevin Mahan, Mike Mandigo, Kathy McGinness, Sherryl Salzman, Keith Sholders, Kyle Simmons, Terri Towle, and Chuck Welch! If we left someone off, we apologize!
- Mulch Day Donations: Thank you to the companies who donated time, funds, equipment and muscle to the mulch event! Thanks to A&A Transfer, Bricks Pizza, Building Infrastructure Group, Cox Farms, G&C Automotive, Giant Stone Rd., Katchmark Construction, K & K Hardwood Floors, Living Colour, and Starbucks Stone Rd! Thanks also to the individuals who made donations!
- PTSA Board Openings – Treasurer, 1st Vice President: The PTSA seeks volunteers to become the PTSA Treasurer beginning in July and 1st Vice President in June. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Meg Crossett at firstname.lastname@example.org or Tricia Monroe at ptsa_1stVP@westfieldhs.org No experience is needed, though a financial background is helpful for the Treasurer position. The current treasurer will provided training, if needed.
- PTSA Volunteer Opening: Want to help make Bulldog BBQ a successful event for 2016? Please consider being the PTSA representative to the Bulldog BBQ committee. Work closely with the Westfield staff member who coordinates the event. Help plan and coordinate the BBQ which will be August 30th. Contact Tricia Monroe at ptsa_1stVP@westfieldhs.org
- Bulldog BBQ Planning Meeting: The first Bulldog BBQ planning meeting will be May 24th at 7 pm at the Stone Road Starbucks. Please join us if you are interested in being part of the school’s kick-off for the 2016-2017school year!
- Teacher Appreciation Week, May 2-6: Please remember your student’s teachers during the upcoming Teacher Appreciation Week! They work very hard to support all of their students! A note, kind email, small gift, etc. will go a long way to show your appreciation! The PTSA will host an appreciations luncheon later in the year, after the AP and SOL testing windows close.
- BITS Tutoring: BITS tutoring will run on Saturday April 30th. This is FREE tutoring for all 3rd-12th grade students in the Westfield pyramid. Please spread the word! BITS info link
- All Night Grad Party Volunteers Needed, June 21st—Underclass, Senior and Alum Parents Invited and Encouraged to help: This event takes place the night of graduation and is a drug-and-alcohol-free event celebrating the current year graduates. This year, the event will be held at Westfield with certain areas of the building being transformed into a fun celebration zone and includes a magician/illusionist, mechanical bull, DJ, Casino, lots of games, prizes, food, and more! This annual event is the culmination of four years of hard work for the graduates and a chance for them to celebrate their success! MANY volunteers (parents of students in all grades) are needed for the various committees such as games and prizes, food, and security. Contact email@example.com to volunteer or with questions.
- ANGP Tickets and Risk Forms: Seniors can now purchase their 2016 ANPG tickets at the bargain price of $40 each! ANGP is the drug-and-alcohol-free celebration the night of graduation and celebrates the Class of 2016 graduating seniors! For more information and to purchase tickets, click here and then click on the links above the graduation hat! After buying a ticket, risk forms must be completed and turned into the main office. Every attendee must have completed risk forms, even if they are 18 years old or older.
- ANGP Prize Basket Donations Requested: Part of the fun of the ANGP is winning prizes! Each year, there are a number of themed baskets donated by community members and senior parents. If you are interested in putting together a themed basket (college theme, dorm room, summer fun, laundry, etc), please sign up here. A tax deductible receipt is available if needed.
- Practice SAT or ACT: The PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a practice SAT or ACT (student choice at registration) on April 30th at 8 am. This is a chance to take a full length (no essay) practice test to see where your strengths and areas for improvement are. Scores are for your use only and are not reported. To register, click here and go to the Practice Test button. There is a $20 fee to take the test.
- PTSA Scholarship Applications: PTSA Scholarship applications are now available online through Family Connection or in Ms. Villars office. Applications are due by May 4th at 2:30 pm and all seniors are encouraged to apply. Please read the guidelines carefully.
- Turbo-Tutoring ACT Prep Class: Turbo-tutoring will hold two final prep classes this school year. April 30th at Westfield will be a SAT prep class and June 4th at Briar Woods HS will be an ACT prep class, both run from 9:30-12:15. To register or for information, visit here.
- Prom Ticket Sales: Adult volunteers needed to sell prom tickets during lunches (11:30-1:00) on May 4th-6th and 9th-11th. Please email class co-sponsor Amy Sutphin if you can help. firstname.lastname@example.org
- FOOTLOOSE: WHS Theatre is presenting Footloose as its spring musical! Tickets are $10 online or with a student ID and $12 at the door. For information, click here! Come see some amazing students perform this lively production!
- Student Volunteer Opportunity: Virginia Run Elementary seeks volunteers for its Fun Run on Friday, April 29th. Volunteers needed from 4:30-7:30 pm. If you can help, sign up at http://vols.pt/yYfpLw or contact Mrs. Liskey at email@example.com
- FCPS Summer Program Registration: Registration is open for some of the courses and programs offered by FCPS in the summer. For information, click here.
- Seniors: Want to wear that black cord at graduation? The Service Hours Record Sheet can be found here Mulch Day is a great way to earn service hours!
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.