PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 8-16-16
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
8/18 – PTSA Meeting, 7 pm in the Library
8/22 – Bulldog Bootcamp begins
8/23-8/28 – Online Silent Auction
8/24 – Freshman and New Student Parent Meeting
8/24 – Turbo Tutoring class (SAT)
8/30 – Bulldog BBQ and Live Silent Auction
9/2 – Freshman and New Student Orientation
9/6 – First day of school
9/20 – Back-to-School Night and Bulldog Cafe
Here are several updates from around the school:
- PTSA Meeting, 8/18: The first PTSA meeting of the year will be Thursday, August 18th at 7 pm in the Library. The 2016-2017 budget will be discussed. We hope to see you there!
- Silent Auction Donations still being accepted: The 2016 Silent Auction will be held online from 8/23-8/28 and live during the Bulldog BBQ on September. To make this a success, donations are still being accepted! If you have an item or service or anything that you would be willing to donate, please contact Mary Shirley, Maria Rudolph or Becky Martin at Silent Auction Donation Link Donations in the past included tickets to events, games and shows, time share or vacation homes, jewelry, services such as massages, tanning, and fitness, make up services, gift cards, and so much more! If desired, you will be provided with a tax donation letter for any donation that you make.
- ONLINE and LIVE Silent Auction link and information: Following last year’s success, the Silent Auction will again run online (8/23-8/28), as well as live at the Bulldog BBQ! The link to the online auction is here! Please help us spread the word! New this year: several fantastic items will be available through a raffle! These include a week stay at a beautiful VA Beach Condo, Teeth Whitening, A+ Math Prep, one Turbo Tutoring session, one WHS handmade stadium blanket, and a Kaplan test prep class! Raffle tickets for these awesome items will be $20 each. Additionally, Best Bridal and Tailoring donated 18 beautiful prom and cocktail dresses in sizes 8 to 16! Interested bidders may get a sneak peek and try them on Tuesday, 8/23, and Wednesday, 8/24, from 10 am – noon and Thursday, 8/25, and Friday, 8/26, from 4 pm – 6 pm in the WHS Library.
- Many Bulldog BBQ Volunteers will be needed! Please sign up! The link will be live soon and can be found here!
- PTSA Sponsored “Welcome Back” Luncheon for Staff members – Donations Needed please: On Thursday, September 1st, there will be a welcome back lunch for our fantastic staff members! Please sign up to donate an item or volunteer here! Thank you Jennie Joiner for organizing!
- PTSA Membership: As you start filling out the essential forms for your student(s), please also fill out the downloadable PTSA membership form! It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters. Thank you!
- October 7th: Everyone who joins the PTSA by October 7th will be entered into a drawing for a fantastic gift card!
- Parking Applications: Student parking applications are being accepted for the 2016-2017 school year. Forms and other information can be found here. There are very specific guidelines that students must follow.
- 2 Parking Spots will be raffled: Thanks to Mr. Mahan in Security, we have two of the best student parking spots that will be raffled! At each of the parking meetings and at the Bulldog BBQ, tickets will be sold. Details will be available soon!
- 2016-2017 Student Directory: Student directories will be sold again this year, thanks to April Milner! You may order one by completing the directory section on the PTSA membership forms.
- Opt-Outs: If you do not wish for your student’s contact information to be in the WHS student directory, please complete either the FCPS or PTSA opt-out form by September 30th.
- Directory Advertising: The annual WHS student directory will feature ads from sponsors, ranging from full page to ¼ page size ads! If you know someone or if your company would like to advertise (very reasonable rates!), please contact April Milner.
- Volunteers Needed!: Throughout the year, you will receive notice of the need for volunteers. Usually the needs are represented on our Sign Up Genius page (http://www.signupgenius.com/go/whsbulldog) and sent out through an e-blast, posted on our Facebook page, and occasionally, sent out through a Keep In Touch message. The first needs will be volunteers for the Bulldog BBQ on August 30th and the Staff lunch on September 1st. Please help when you can!
- Rising 9th grade and New Student Parents: There will be a meeting on Wednesday, August 24th at 7 pm in the auditorium. At this meeting, you will be introduced to Westfield and have a chance to learn more about your student’s new school.
- Rising Freshman and New Student Orientation: There will be an orientation on Friday, September 2nd from 8 am until noon for all freshmen and new students.
- Thank You to Beth Tweddle for the wonderful start to the monumental task of cleaning-up the mulched areas in front of the school! More work needs to be done and generous SERVICE HOURS will be given to any students who help. Please email Ms. Tweddle to help. Remember: PTSA volunteering is one of the areas of consideration for the PTSA's annual senior scholarships!
- Congratulations to Ms. Gina Lee and thank you to everyone who helped win one of the grants from the Farmers Insurance contest at the end of the school year! This grant will be used to purchase some of the new graphing calculators needed by the WHS Math Department! Many more are needed – these are classroom calculators used by students who do not own and cannot afford a graphing calculator. These tools are needed in most high school math classes and are essential for learning. If you have an extra graphing calculator or know someone who no longer needs theirs, please consider donating it to the WHS Math Department. Ms. Lee can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Turbo Tutoring has set their 2016-2017 schedule for SAT and ACT prep classes! The first will be 8/24 and will be a SAT class. For information and to register, please see the attached form or visit here.
- Summer Assignments: Summer assignments are listed on the Westfield webpage.
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Unsubscribe: If you no longer have a student at Westfield or no longer wish to receive the WHS PTSA e-blasts, please click unsubscribe below.
- Thank you to the following companies who donated to the 2016 All Night Grad Party: Applebee’s, Brick’s Pizza, Chick fil A, Foster’s Grill, Potomac Nationals, Sweet Frog, Texas Roadhouse, and the Virginia Tech Bookstore! Please support those who support Westfield!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.