PTSA E-Tidbit News
1/3/18 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
Welcome back Bulldogs! Happy New Year!
1/4 – Visiting University of North Carolina Men's and Women's Glee Clubs Concert, 7:30 pm
1/9 – Junior Night – Planning for College, 7 pm
1/10 – Curriculum Night, 6:30 pm
Here are several updates we know about from around the school:
- PTSA Membership: If you haven’t already, please join the PTSA this year. You can join online here. Remember, PTSA membership (parent or student) by January 31st is one of the requirements for anyone interested in applying for the 2018 senior scholarship. Not sure if you’ve joined this school year? Contact Eileen Ehreth at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Practice SAT or ACT Test: WHS PTSA and Kaplan are hosting a practice SAT or ACT test event on Saturday, February 3, 2018. This is a great opportunity for students to take and receive feedback on a practice test in order to help identify areas of strength and those needing improvement before taking a “real” test. Scores on the practice test are for the student use only and are not sent to colleges. Cost: $20 To sign up, click here.
- University of North Carolina Men’s and Women’s Glee Clubs Concert: Please join the choral department for a beautiful concert by the visiting University of North Carolina Men’s and Women’s Glee Clubs at 7:30 pm on Thursday, January 4th in the auditorium.
- Junior Night – Planning for College: On Tuesday, January 9th at 7 pm the Student Services Department will present its annual Junior Night. Come hear a panel of admissions personnel discuss planning for college. See the attached flier for more information.
- Va PTA Student Citizenship Essay Contest: All students are invited to participate in this year’s contest. The theme is “What Does It Mean to Dream Big?” The deadline to enter is February 1st. For more information, click here. The application is attached. All entries must be submitted to Mrs. Kilpatrick, the Virginia PTA Northern Virginia District Director via email at email@example.com.
- Virginia PTA Senior Scholarship Program: Scholarships are awarded based on demonstrated commitment to and engagement in community service, academic achievement, and financial need. The deadline is March 1st and you must have been a ptsa member by December 1st. For more information, click here.
- Learn to Row - Crew Interest Meeting: On Thursday, 1/18, at 7 pm in the cafeteria the crew team is holding an interest meeting for students and parents. Learn more about the fun, camaraderie and competition. No tryouts, all are welcome, and financial aid is available for those who qualify. Come join us! Check out the Crew team website for more information about the team.
- Sully Citizens Advisory Committee Meeting – On January 10th, from 7:30-9:00 pm, there will be a presentation about surviving an act of violence. This awareness level, classroom training provides the basic steps to survive an active shooter and/or active violence situation. The training utilizes the Department of Homeland Security and Fairfax County Police Department model of Run, Hide, Fight when encountering these situations.
- Host Families sought for visiting Austrian students: Host families are needed for students visiting from Graz, Austria from February 23rd through March 5th. For more information, please see the attached flier and contact Westfield’s German teacher, Mr. Rife at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yarn Donations: The WHS librarians are sponsoring a volunteer opportunity for students after school on Mondays in the library. Students will be able to knit scarves for the homeless. This project is in conjunction withorg and students will be able to earn community service hours. This is a project that is offered at Stone MS, so we hope to encourage students to continue this work at Westfield. To help get this project rolling, donations of yarn have been requested: Red Heart brand yarn, acrylic (washable), weight category 4, dark colors only, and from smoke-and-pet-free homes (due to allergies). Questions? Please contact Ms. Koenig at email@example.com.
- Yearbooks: Have you ordered a 2017-2018 Yearbook yet? To order, click here and enter code 5577. The price is currently $70.
- Easy ways to Support Westfield:
- Giant Food: Please remember to reregister your Giant bonus card. It has to be registered every year and can be done at: https://giantfood.com/school-rewards Our school code is 03798. The program runs October 6th – March 15th.
- Harris Teeter: Register your VIC card at http://www.harristeeter.com/community/together_in_education/link_to_your_school.aspx Our school code is 8134.
- Office Depot: When checking out at the register, please ask them to credit Westfield HS. The code is 70115228. They’ll give 5% back to the school!
- Amazon: Please click on the link on the right side of the PTSA’s webpage before ordering! www.ptsa.westfieldhs.org
- Shutterfly: Please click here to give 13% of your purchase back to the school!
- mySATadvisor.com: An option for SAT preparation is mySATadvisor.com Online, unlimited practice and analytics on College Board tests and other popular test publishers. Improve speed and accuracy, practice missed or bookmarked questions, and more. Use promo code WHSPTSA20 for a 20% discount.
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast?Send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.