PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 11-9-14
11/10-11/14: Stand up to Bullying Week
11/11: Report cards distributed
11/11: Partners for Safe Teen Driving; 7pm, auditorium
11/11: All Night Grad Party Committee Meeting
11/11: General Interest Meeting for Korean Exchange Program; 6pm, library
11/13: Sophomore night “Planning for College”; 7pm, cafeteria
11/20: PTSA Meeting; 7 pm
11/21, 22, 23: Theatre’s “And Then There Were None” Production
12/3: Little Known Secrets of Paying for College Seminar; 7 pm
Here are several updates from around the school:
1. Partners for Safe Teen Driving – Tuesday, 11/11, 7 pm in Auditorium. The state of Virginia requires that all 10th graders and a parent/legal guardian attend one 90-minute traffic safety program as part of the classroom driver education instruction. This requirement must be met before a student will receive a Driver Education Certificate of completion (DEC1 card). There will be 2 other sessions offered at Westfield on February 10th and April 28th. Doors close at 7 pm and late arrivals will not be allowed to enter. Questions? Email either JDShields@fcps.edu or DPEwell@fcps.edu
2. Directories – Directories were distributed last week through 7th period classes. Thank you to 7th period teachers for your help and thank you to April Milner and Kelly Roberts for putting the directory together! If you missed ordering a directory and would like one, there are a few still available for purchase. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Sophomore Night – Thursday, 11/13, 7 pm in the Cafeteria. The Student Services Department is hosting “Planning for College Night”, geared towards sophomores and their parents/guardians. The Director of Admissions for Guilford College will lead a session on the introduction to the college admission process for college-bound sophomores and their parents/guardians.
4. The United Prevention Coalition (UPC) seeks Fairfax County 18-24 year olds to take a short online survey about youth and young adult drinking and driving prevention. If you have someone in this age group whose primary address is in Fairfax County (a college student away at school is okay), please ask them to take a moment to complete the survey. The deadline to participate is November 15. http://Healthy.gmu.edu/survey.aspx?surveyId=1132
5. Little Known Secrets of Paying for College Seminar – 12/3, 7 pm in Lecture Hall. The cost of a college education is higher than ever. How will you afford this expense? What if your children attend an elite or out-of-state school? What if they don’t graduate in four years? The costs can be monumental. This workshop will teach you how to send your children to college without bankrupting your retirement nest egg. Discover strategies that may enable you to qualify for financial aid, scholarship sources and strategies for maximizing your wealth and minimizing your tax exposure, giving you greater cash flow for a college education. Presented by The College Funding Coach.
6. Turbo-Tutoring Class – 11/22. For information on this one morning SAT prep class and to register, visit www.turbo-tutoring.com
7. Westfield Theatre’s Production of And Then There Were None - The show will be on Friday, 11/21 and Saturday, 11/22 at 7 pm and Sunday, 11/23 at 2 pm. Tickets are $10 if purchased online and $12 at the door and are now on sale at www.westfieldtheatreboosters.com.
8. Student Services Link: Have you looked at the Student Services link on the Westfield website? There is a great deal of information available, such as graduation requirements, testing dates, and course information.
9. Parent Liaisons: Did you know that Westfield has a Korean and Spanish parent liaison? Ms. Soon Kim, Korean parent liaison, is at Westfield on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:30 am to 1 pm. Araceli Manoatl, Spanish parent liaison, is at Westfield on Mondays from 8 am - 3:30 pm, Tuesdays 9 am – 11 am, Wednesdays from 1:30-3:30, Thursdays from 8 am – 11 am and Fridays from 9 am – 2:30 pm. Both can be reached at 703-488-6564.
10. Congratulations to all Fall Sports teams for their successes! This past week alone, both the Football and Volleyball teams became Conference Champions! And both Johnny Pace and Sara Freix from Cross Country qualified to compete at the State Championship meet! Johnny and Sara each ran fast enough to set new school records! Good luck to all as you continue in the post season!
11. World Languages Fundraiser: The World Languages Department is raising money to pay for the language lab. The department recently learned that the lab, which was thought to be a donation, must now be paid for. The lab is used by over 1,800 students. The department is holding a Honey Baked Ham fundraiser. 20% of all sales will be donated. Orders are due by 11/22 and will be available for pick up on Tuesday, 11/24, or by arranging a pick-up with Ms. Thomas at email@example.com . To order, please visit: http://tinyurl.com/SupportWestfield
12. Protect Against Substance Abuse: On November 10th (South County High School) and November 18th (Fairfax High School), the United Prevention Coalition of Fairfax will present a community program including information on the signs and symptoms of teenage drug abuse, the actions parents can take, and where to find supportive resources. The presentations will begin at 7 pm and all are welcome. For more information, visit: www.unitedpreventioncoalition.org
13. Upcoming Library Fundraiser: As you prepare for the holiday gift giving season, please consider supporting the December 7th Library fundraiser at the Barnes and Noble in Fair Lakes. Details soon.
14. Have you downloaded the free FCPS app? http://www.fcps.edu/news/mobile-app.shtml
15. Silent Fundraisers: Please help the PTSA support Westfield by taking part in the following silent fundraisers:
Giant Food: Designate Westfield for your Bonus card at http://www.giantfood.com/aplus/register-card/ Westfield’s code is 03798 You do NOT have to reregister if you were registered last year but please confirm your enrollment and school.
Harris Teeter: Designate Westfield for your VIC card at http://www.harristeeter.com/default.aspx?pageId=32 WHS code is 8134
Target: If you use a RED card (credit or debit), please designate WHS, code116684 via http://www.target.com/redcard/main
Office Depot: Present ID 70115228 when you shop at Office Depot to help earn free supplies. For information, visit: http://www.officedepot.com/a/promo/backtoschool/5percent/?cm_sp=FooterLinks-_-products-_-5PercentBack
Amazon: Click the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage for 4% or more credit to the PTSA at no cost to you. Ptsa.westfieldhs.org
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.