PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 12-18-14
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
12/19: 2 Hour Early Dismissal
12/19 & 12/20: Theatre’s Ho Ho Holiday Show
12/22-1/2: Winter Break
1/10: Practice SAT/ACT Test (See below)
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Practice SAT/ACT Test: The PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a practice SAT/ACT Combination test on Saturday, January 10, 2015 from 8 am until noon. Students will have an opportunity to take a practice test to assess their performance before attempting the official exams. Test participants will be provided with a detailed score report highlighting personal strengths and weaknesses. Following the practice test, students and parents are invited to participate in a complimentary, individual, thirty-minute consultation with a Kaplan test expert. To register, please visit: http://bitly.com/SATACTWestfield The registration fee is $20 per student. Please make checks payable to the WHS PTSA and mail to 4700 Stonecroft Blvd, Chantilly, VA 20151 and please include student name in the memo line.
- Westfield Theatre’s annual Children’s Theatre Ho Ho Holiday Show will take place on Friday, 12/19 at 6 pm and Saturday, 12/20 at 2 pm. Tickets are $5 each. Visit www.westfieldtheatreboosters.com for more information.
- Congratulations to Julie Frappier! Julie’s photography submission to the 2014-2015 Reflections Contest won FIRST PLACE for Region 5 (the FCPS region to which Westfield belongs). Julie’s piece has moved on to the next level!
- Senior Parents: Tickets for the Class of 2015 All Night Grad Party will go on sale soon! This year’s ANGP will take place at Alto Plaza. Thank you to the volunteers who have worked hard planning the event so far. The next planning meeting will take place early in the new year. If you are interested in being involved, please contact Aimee Lowry (email@example.com) or Ellen Ryder (firstname.lastname@example.org). Parent volunteers will be needed ahead of the event and during the event with tasks ranging from putting together prizes to chaperoning to being part of the casino.
- Mulch Sales/Day: Mulch Weekend is April 10th and 11th, 2015. Mulch sales will begin shortly after the new year and will continue until sold out. We have sold out the past several years. Hundreds of student and parent volunteers will be needed to ensure success. Please mark your calendars!
- Mulch Day Chair(s) Needed: One or two volunteers are needed to lead the mulch day event scheduled for April 10 and 11, 2015. A great team of support committee chairs is in place but we need someone to lead the way. No experience needed and a parent of a student of any grade is welcome! Please help us with this important event! Contact email@example.com for more information or to volunteer! Thank you.
- Senior Parents/Seniors: The Fairfax County Council of PTAs (FCCPTA) will award $1,000 scholarshipsto five graduating FCPS seniors planning to attend an accredited college/university for the 2015/2016 academic year. The FCCPTA will also award the Catherine A. Belter Memorial Scholarship of $1500 to one graduating FCPS student planning to enter the field of education or other child related field at an accredited university/college for the 2015/16 school year. The FCCPTA Scholarships will be awarded to students who have, among other traits, demonstrated responsibility, character and leadership during their high school career. Applicants must be a 2014-2015 student member of their high school PTSA and PTSA must be in good standing (which WHS PTSA is). Applications can be found (after 1-1-15) at Catherine A. Belter Memorial Scholarship Site and FCCPTA Student Scholarship The deadline for both scholarships is March 31, 2015.
- The Virginia PTA is offering scholarships as well. Information can be found at: VA PTA Scholarship The deadline is March 1, 2015.
- The Virginia PTA and Virginia529 are sponsoring an essay contest, with the submission deadline being February 1, 2015. The topic of the essay is “I can positively influence my peers by….” Information can be found at: Essay Contest
- If you, or someone you know, speak Amharic, Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Spanish, Urdu, or Vietnamese, and need language support when interacting with the schools, assistance is available. Click here for the phone numbers and more information.
- Directories: Do you wish that you ordered a directory this year? There are a few remaining copies available for purchase at $10 each. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like one.
- The Families in Crisis program at Westfield works with counselors to support current WHS families facing immediate financial hardships and is seeking donations of gift cards. Through generous donations of gift cards from the WHS community, we have been able to help a number of families already this year. As you can probably imagine, the need has jumped recently and our gift card supply is in need of replenishing. The PTSA is not permitted to channel its funds to this type of support but we are honored to be able to act as a support network. If you are interested and able to donate a gift card (not cash, please) in any $5 increment, it would be greatly appreciated. If you are interested in making a large donation, we would greatly appreciate it if you could donate several smaller denomination cards as opposed to one large one. Stores such as Wal-Mart, Target, Giant and Shoppers Food Warehouse are the ones that seem to be easiest for our families in need to access. Any gift card is welcome though! Please send any donations to the main office or mail to: WHS-Families in Crisis, Attn: Meg Crossett, 4700 Stonecroft Blvd, Chantilly, VA 20151. Thank you to everyone who has already sent gift card donations! Your generosity is making a difference.
We wish you a safe and relaxing break!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.