PTSA E-Tidbit News
Dear Westfield PTSA,
PTSA E-blast 2-3-15
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
2/4: Curriculum Night
2/6: Neil McNerney Presentation
2/10: Partners for Safe Teen Driving
2/13-2/15: WHS Theatre Winter One Act Plays
2/16: Holiday/No school
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Curriculum Night: Attention rising 10th, 11th, and 12th grade parents and students: You are invited to the Curriculum Night Open House on Wednesday, February 4th from 7-8:30pm at Westfield High School. Teachers will be available to answer questions about core and elective classes. This is a great opportunity to learn about courses offered at Westfield.
- “Why did my teenager do that?” – Upcoming Parent Coffee. If you ever asked a question like that, please join us for a parent coffee on Friday, February 6th from 8:30-10:00 am in the Lecture Hall. Neil McNerney (LPC, educator and author) will explore that question in his presentation about “The Teenage Brain”. Neil has worked with students and families for over twenty years. Neil was actually a member of our local school family, having been a part of the founding staff at Deer Park Elementary as a counselor. Throughout the years, Neil has worked closely with families in our community and knows the challenges we face.
- All are invited to the upcoming Citizens’ Advisory Committee meeting on Wednesday, February 11 from 7:30-9pm at the Sully District Station, 4900 Stonecroft Blvd. in Chantilly. At the meeting, citizens will learn about local crime and policing efforts in the Sully District. It’s an excellent opportunity to gather information and raise any issues or concerns you may have about what is happening in our community. For more information and to RSVP, please email the station Crime Prevention Officer, PFC Tara Gerhard at FCPDSULCPO@fairfaxcounty.gov.
- Second Annual National History Day Fair at Westfield High School: Do you want to be a part of history? If so, volunteer at our National History Day Fair! The Social Studies department is in need of a few more judges to evaluate the History Day projects created by the honors students at our school. Come be a part of our gallery walk or watch amazing documentaries created by our students. The second annual National History Day Fair will take place on Thursday, Feb 12th. If you are interested in becoming a judge please follow the link to sign up: http://tinyurl.com/o9929rk. You may not judge your own student’s category. Questions? Email Jennifer Santiago at email@example.com.
- Westfield Theater Winter One Acts: Westfield Theatre presents the Winter Once Act Plays. Tickets are only $10 at the door. February 13 and 14 at 7:30pm and February 14 and 15th at 2pm. Visit the website for more information – www.westfieldtheatreboosters.com.
- Seniors and Senior Parents: Tickets for the Class of 2015 All Night Grad Party Celebration (ANGP) are now on sale! This year’s ANGP will take place at Alto Plaza. Tickets are $65 per student until March 31st and the price goes up after that. For more information and to purchase tickets, please click here: WHS PTSA Website You may either purchase the tickets online, print the order form and send it to the main office, or pick up an order form in the main office. Questions? Please contact Ellen Ryder and/or Aimee Lowry at firstname.lastname@example.org
- It’s time to order your mulch: This is the major fundraiser to support a fun, safe, and sober graduation party for the class of 2015. Get high quality, double shredded hardwood mulch delivered right to your home at a great price and for a great cause. Order today and pay online! http://ptsa.westfieldhs.org
- Mulch Day: Mulch Weekend is April 10th and 11th– Please mark your calendars! Many parent and student volunteers (all grade levels) are needed to make this event a success! Details available soon.
- Senior Parents/Seniors: The Fairfax County Council of PTAs (FCCPTA) will award $1,000 scholarshipsto five graduating FCPS seniors planning to attend an accredited college/university for the 2015/2016 academic year. The FCCPTA will also award the Catherine A. Belter Memorial Scholarship of $1500 to one graduating FCPS student planning to enter the field of education or other child related field at an accredited university/college for the 2015/16 school year.
10. The FCCPTA Scholarships will be awarded to students who have, among other traits, demonstrated responsibility, character and leadership during their high school career. Applicants must be a 2014-2015 student member of their high school PTSA and PTSA must be in good standing (which WHS PTSA is). Applications can be found at:
The deadline for both scholarships is March 31, 2015.
11. The Virginia PTA is offering scholarships as well. Information can be found at: VA PTA Scholarship The deadline is March 1, 2015.
12. The Virginia PTA and Virginia529 are sponsoring an essay contest, with the submission deadline being February 1, 2015. The topic of the essay is “I can positively influence my peers by….” Information can be found at: Essay Contest
13. Directories: Do you wish you had ordered a directory this year? There are a few remaining copies available for purchase at $10 each. Please email email@example.com if you would like a copy.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.