PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 2-19-15
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
2/21: BITS Tutoring (free/library-9:30-11 am)
2/28: Turbo Tutoring
3/1: Band Concert
3/3: Orchestra Concert
3/5: Military Academy Night @ Centreville HS
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Seniors and Parents - WeStep Program: Last year, WHS instituted the Westfield Senior Transition Enrichment Program, known as WeStep, which successfully helped place 44 seniors in local internships. If your senior has a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher and good attendance, then he or she has the opportunity to participate in a two week internship from May 27th through June 10th, in lieu of attending classes. The goal is to give students the opportunity to become immersed in a field they are considering. Students are responsible for obtaining their approved internships, and they must provide their own transportation. A copy of the WeStep internship application will soon be posted under the Students link on the PTSA Website or your senior can stop by room A112 or email Ms. Lee at email@example.com with questions.
- WeStep Sponsors Needed: The WeStep program is looking for internship sponsors! There are several students who are looking for internships in the following areas: Accounting, Business, Sales, Marketing, Aerospace Technology, Engineering, Information Technology, Medicine, Physical Therapy, Computer Science, Graphic Design, Law Offices, Law Enforcement, the Fire Department and other related fields.If you or a friend, neighbor, spouse, etc. would be willing to part of our program, please email Patty Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 703-288-6464. The internships placements are for our brightest students with high GPAs; nevertheless, the extent of their responsibilities could vary depending upon the career field legalities and/or sponsor’s comfort level. The internship dates are May 27th through June 10th and the hours are flexible. A sponsor letter will posted on the PTSA Website under “Students-WeStep” soon. Thank you for your consideration and help!
- Seniors and Senior Parents: ANGP Update – Tickets for the Class of 2015 All Night Grad Celebration (ANGP) are on sale and prices go up March 31st. This year’s event will be held at the Alto Plaza. Tickets are currently $65 per person. For more information and to purchase a ticket, visit PTSA Website Questions? Contact Aimee Lowry or Ellen Ryder (co-chairs) at email@example.com
- Seniors and Senior Parents: 3 Months ‘til Graduation Meeting: On March 18th, there will be an informative meeting where you will learn about all things related to graduation, including tickets, times, caps/gowns, etc. Watch for more information.
- Mulch Sale: The annual mulch sale is going on now and sales eligible for delivery (15+ bag orders) are already half sold out! Get high quality, double shredded hardwood mulch delivered to your home (Westfield boundaries only). $4.95/bag with $2.65/bag being tax-deductible (please consult your tax advisor). To order, visit PTSA Website and click on “Order Mulch”. You may order online or print the order form and mail it to the office along a check.
- Mulch Weekend Volunteers: Hundreds of student AND adult volunteers are needed to make mulch weekend successful. Please mark your calendars for April 10th and 11th and plan to help. It’s an awesome community spirited event and there will be prizes as well as food! Your help is needed.
- Thank you to the mulch committee for all the time they are giving to plan the smoothest mulch day yet! Thanks to Julie Glowacki, Karen Duncan, Veronica Delaney, Karen Fiala, Takako Rodriguez, Mark Avila, John Sodomka, Becky Free, and Jennifer and Ron Campbell.
- Turbo-Tutoring: The next two Turbo-Tutoring sessions at Westfield are on February 28 and April 25. turbo-tutoring.com
- Virginia PTA Power Plate Contest: Calling all student chefs! Students are invited to participate in the Power Plate contest by submitting a healthy recipe of their own creation. Rules, guidelines and the entry form can be found at Power Plates info . The deadline is March 2, 2015.
- Rally in Richmond: The Va PTA and Virginia Education Association have partnered to lead, Put Kids First, a movement to change the future of education in Virginia: how its funded, how its prioritized and the mandates surrounding testing. Parents, teachers and students are invited to be part of the rally in Richmond on April 18, 2015 (Rally Flier) and/or share personal stories about the effect continued reductions in funding have had on your students. Share stories at GoodforVirginia.org/PutKidsFirst Statements from teachers and parents make the message strong.
- 14 Carrot Gold Food Safety Award: Congratulations to the WHS food services department for being the only school to receive this award from the Fairfax County Health Department! Only nine food serving establishments received the award, with the other eight being restaurants! This award is given for demonstration of outstanding food safety practices, the promotion of food safety education among employees, for going above and beyond food code requirements and excelling in sanitation and food safety! Congratulations to JoAnn Morgan and the entire team in the cafeteria!
- WHS PTSA Membership:It’s not too late to be a member of the WHS PTSA this school year! PTSA Website
- If you, or someone you know, speak Amharic, Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Spanish, Urdu, or Vietnamese, and need language support when interacting with the schools, assistance is available. Click here for the phone numbers and more information.
- Good luck to all winter sports Bulldogs competing in Regional and State competitions and to all athletes preparing to try out for spring sports next week!
STAY WARM AND GO BULLDOGS!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.