PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 4-15-15
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
4/16 – End of Quarter – 2 hour early release
4/17 – Student Holiday – no school
4/25 - Turbo Tutoring at Westfield
4/28 – Partners for Safe Teen Driving
5/9 - Newly redesigned practice SAT at Westfield
5/16 - Senior Prom
Here are several updates from around the school:
Mulch Weekend Volunteers: Thanks to the support of our wonderful Bulldog community, we can now celebrate another successful Mulch Day! Huge THANKS go out to ALL who helped during this fun and spirited event!
More than 450 students delivered 13,590 bags of mulch over the two days…that’s at least 611,550 pounds of mulch!!
Around 150 parents drove students, trucks and forklifts… and grilled and wrapped 648 hamburgers and 324 hotdogs that our hard-working volunteers washed down with more than 1,000 bottles of water or soda and an endless supply of snacks.
Donated trucks from our community were key to making our day run successfully. Our deepest gratitude goes out to:
- Katchmark Construction
- Living Colour Landscaping
- Spencer Marker Real Estate
- RulyScapes Landscaping
- Building Infrastructure Group
- American Windows and Siding
- A&A Movers
- G&C Automotive
- And all the people who generously donated their personal pick-up trucks to haul load after load of mulch.
And sincere thanks to all the individuals who donated food for this big day, and businesses such as:
- Bricks Pizza
- Giant on Stone Rd
- Giant on Lee Hwy
And let’s not forget our brave, overnight Mulch Guardians supplied by Boy Scouts from Troop 30!
- Free Prom Dresses: Prom dress donations needed! There will be a *FREE* dress shop on May 2nd and 3rd. One of the Westfield DECA officers is organizing a prom dress shop that gives FCPS students free access to a dress. Her work site, Annandale Sports of Chantilly, has generously donated their store for the exclusive use of a Prom Dress Shop from 1-4pm on both days. They are also seeking donations of gently worn dresses that are in style (less than 5 years old). Collecting now through April 30th. Please drop off in the DECA Den (Room F227) before school.
- The WHS PTSA will be hosting a New Redesigned SAT Practice Test on Saturday, May 9th from 8AM to 11:15AM. The test aligns with the new format of the SAT & PSAT being introduced next school year. The test changes will affect all 2017 graduates and younger. Please register using the following link http://kaplan.formstack.com/forms/new_sat.
- Educate Yourself on College Drinking: Make plans to attend a "Perils of the College Drinking Culture" regional forum put on by the Unified Prevention Coalition of Fairfax County. The first event kicks off Tuesday, April 14 at Madison High School, hosted by the JMHS PTSA. The award-winning film HAZE will be shown. HAZE will educate parents and students about the dangers of alcohol and binge drinking. The film contains graphic imagery but is a must-see for all parents and their college-bound teens. Make plans to attend. Help us spread the word by forwarding this information to others. Click on the event flier to print out and post.
- WeStep Sponsors Needed: The WeStep program is looking for internship sponsors! There are several students who are looking for internships in the following areas: Accounting, Business, Sales, Marketing, Aerospace Technology, Engineering, Information Technology, Medicine, Physical Therapy, Computer Science, Graphic Design, Law Offices, Law Enforcement, the Fire Department and other related fields. If you or a friend, neighbor, spouse, etc. would be willing to part of our program, please email Patty Lee at firstname.lastname@example.org or call at 703-288-6464. The internships placements are for our brightest students with high GPAs; nevertheless, the extent of their responsibilities could vary depending upon the career field legalities and/or sponsor’s comfort level. The internship dates are May 27th through June 10th and the hours are flexible. A sponsor letter will be posted on the PTSA Website under “Students-WeStep” soon. Thank you for your consideration and help!
- Turbo-Tutoring: Looking to improve your SAT score? The next Turbo-Tutoring session at Westfield is on April 25. Check out the website for information turbo-tutoring.com.
- WHS PTSA Scholarship Applications are available on the PTSA website. The deadline is April 27th at 2:30 pm.
- The Pajama Game: The Westfield High School Theatre presents the Pajama Game! Shows will be May 1, 2, 8 & 9 at 7:30pm and May 3 at 2pm. Tickets are $10 online in advance or with a valid student ID and $12 at the door. To purchase tickets, visit the publicity student team developed and designed show website: www.whspjgame.weebly.com.
- Parent Technology Night: What is sexting? What are trendy social media apps? Find out what kids are doing online, the most used apps and the far reaching effects of sexting. Discover ways to communicate with your teens about safe social media use. The Citizens’ Advisory Committee and the Sully District Police Station are sponsoring a parent technology night on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 from 7:30-9pm at the Sully District Station (4900 Stonecroft Blvd. Chantilly, VA).
- AP Exams: The AP Exam dates for 2015 have been released by the College Board at the following website: AP Testing website Late testing: FCPS and Westfield High School have no control over the exam dates and times. They are set annually by the College Board and cannot be changed. Late testing is not permitted unless approved by College Board or if the student is scheduled to take more than one exam on the same day and time. Please do not schedule family vacations, events, or appointments during AP testing. Your student must take the exam on the date set by the College Board. Westfield High School orders exams based on enrollment in our AP courses. If a student drops an AP after March 20, 2015 or if the student is absent on the day of his/her AP exam, the student will be charged $15 per exam, for the unused exam fee. Westfield’s AP Exam Coordinators are Laura Gulgert and Laura Cudahy.
- Rally in Richmond: The Va PTA and Virginia Education Association have partnered to lead, Put Kids First, a movement to change the future of education in Virginia: how its funded, how its prioritized and the mandates surrounding testing. Parents, teachers and students are invited to be part of the rally in Richmond on April 18, 2015 (Rally Flier) and/or share personal stories about the effect continued reductions in funding have had on your students. Share stories at GoodforVirginia.org/PutKidsFirst. Statements from teachers and parents make the message strong.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.