PTSA Legislative News
Position is OPEN. If you are interested, please contact Mary Coleman.
- Stay current with news from FCPS Office of Government Relations
- Stay current with news from VA PTA Legislative Committee
- Take Action at the State Level
- Take Action at the National Level
What we do:
Inform parents and teachers about Virginia education bills and proposed regulations, and their effect on students, teachers, and parents.
How we do it:
- Read and summarize Virginia bills and proposed regulations so you don't have to (unless you want to).
- Publish summaries and links bi-weekly to the PTSA web site
- Legislative Committee page (forthcoming).
- Report to the PTSA at monthly meetings.
- Report hi-lights in the PTSA monthly newsletter. Examples:
- As of July 1, 2011 passing a stopped school bus is 'reckless driving' and school districts are authorized to install cameras on buses to document this reckless driving.
- Adults convicted of sexually violent offenses are banned from all public and private property (including school buses) while used solely for school related or school sponsored activities, and banned from school grounds at all times.
- Convicted sex offenders are banned from school property during school related or school sponsored events.
- Boards of Education may (but they don't have to) implement electronic signatures so parents can sign documents on-line.
- Foster care kids may remain in the same school even if they are moved out of the schools boundaries.
To know what topics you're interested in. (e.g. Special Education, curriculum, budgets, etc.), once active, the Legislative Committee web pages will include an e-mail address to send ideas, ask questions, volunteer, etc. of the committee.
- A few volunteers to help collect and organize various subject areas such as special education, curriculum, etc. You don't have to be a lawyer; just interested.
- Someone willing to contribute a weekly Westclips or Nexis Saved Searches - search so we can be precise and comprehensive.
- We'll provide the Terms and Connectors string + database list.
- Free bill tracking services are not adequate.