Welcome back to school! I hope the year has started off well for your students and you!
As you get organized for the year, please note that the PTSA website and the school’s main webpage contain valuable information. Please bookmark the websites and check them often. Also, if you are on Facebook, please “like” us. You can find us at Westfield High School PTSA. We will continue using these as information resources as in the past.
Upcoming Dates/Events (complete list of events on the PTSA calendar):
- Back To School Night for 11th/12th grade families: September 17th!
- Senior Parent Meeting: Before the back to school night on 9/17
- Dog Dish Café: Will be open during both back to school nights! Stop by the cafeteria to enjoy a quick dinner before meeting your student’s teachers! Subway sandwiches and Domino’s pizza will be available.
- Volunteers are needed to help the Dog Dish Café run smoothly (both nights)! If you can help, please sign up at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/whsbulldog Some student volunteer opportunities are available!
- PTSA Meeting: 9/18 – Library Presentation
- Back To School Night for 9th/10th grade families: September 30th
Please join us at the September PTSA meeting. Following a short business meeting, there will be a presentation by Mrs. Lesser, Librarian. She will discuss topics such as the databases available to your students and what the library has to offer.
At Westfield, Back to School Night is divided into two nights: September 17th for 11th/12th grade students and September 30th for 9th/10th grade students. Both begin at 7 pm. Your students should give you a map with their class schedule listed. This will allow you to locate their classes. I encourage you to attend (even Junior/Senior parents!) to learn more about your student’s classes, especially the expectations of the teachers and the work load. Stop by the Dog Dish Café in the cafeteria to fuel up before or during the evening.
The PTSA is proud to have already been able to do the following for your staff/students/families this year:
- Sponsor the Welcome Back to School teacher/staff luncheon
- Offer some school supplies to the teachers during the lunch
- Co-sponsor the Bulldog BBQ
- Approve several staff mini grants toward the purchase of books English classes
- Tidy up the senior courtyard, with new umbrellas, repaired picnic tables and weeding
- Spruce up the landscaping in the front of the school
Please help us continue to make an impact! Thank you to everyone who has joined the Westfield HS PTSA this year! If you haven’t yet, please join. Your membership matters. Your membership and involvement help the PTSA work toward its goal of supporting all students, staff members and families at Westfield. You can join online now by clicking the link http://ptsa.westfieldhs.org/ or you can print the form and send it in to the main office. As a bonus, every person who joins by October 6th, 2014 will be entered into a drawing for a new Kindle Fire HD and all student members will be entered into a drawing for a Turbo Tutoring SAT prep class!
The PTSA will create a directory again this year, thanks to April Milner who has volunteered to be the chairperson this year! If you or your business would like to advertise in the directory, please email April. Rates are very reasonable. Directories may be ordered using the All-In-One Membership form, which has a directory area. Finally, if you choose to opt-out your student from the directory, you must complete either the FCPS opt-out form or the opt-out portion on the Membership form by October 1, 2014.
Thank you to everyone who has already volunteered time this year! Many people helped make the Bulldog BBQ and Staff lunch a success! New volunteer opportunities are listed now at: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/whsbulldog
Please visit for a complete list of businesses and individuals who donated to this year’s silent auction, We greatly appreciate the support of our business community and ask that you consider supporting these businesses that support us!
Please contact me with questions or concerns.
Westfield HS PTSA President