President Achive Messages
Dear Families, Teachers and Staff,
This is my last message to you as president of the Westfield PTSA, it is bittersweet for me as I graduate my youngest child from Fairfax County Public Schools. All six of my children went to Fairfax County Schools and all are doing amazingly well as adults, for all the complaints I hear about the school system I have to give credit to the schools for such a wonderful job with my children. I know that the system is going through some rough times with all the demands placed on it. What is that system?
That system is really a human element of devoted teachers, awesome administration and supreme support staff that keep the children engaged and learning. I know that I am very thankful for all the dedication and hard work the people who work for the school system display daily. It can be a thankless job when students are less than interested and parents are not supportive of the “system,” yet these amazingly gracious folks come to work everyday to support and teach our most precious commodity- our children. The simple words -Thank you- cannot express my gratitude for all the teachers and staff that have touched my children’s lives over the years, from preschool through high school. It has been an amazing run for me, 31 years to be exact. I have met and worked with so many wonderful people over these 31 years and I know that all of you will continue to benefit from those same amazing individuals at Westfield High School in the coming years. Please get involved and see for yourself what a great High School we have and find out what the future holds as Westfield grows into the future.
I would like to do a quick recap of what the PTSA has been able to accomplish this year:
- Supported Bulldog BBQ, Back to school nights, Teacher/staff luncheons,
- Holiday dessert bar, Parenting programs,
- Teacher mini grants, Student honor roll cookie certificates,
- Mulch sale, All night grad party, BITS tutoring, Science Olympiad
I am proud to be part of the community of caring called the PTSA.
Next year Tricia Monroe will be President of the PTSA, please join the PTSA and support Tricia and the rest of the PTSA committees as they do important work for the school.
June is a very busy month as the final performances and award ceremonies take place. These are important events for your children; try to find the time to attend. Your children may not say they appreciate your attendance but ten years down the road they will thank you for being there.
- June 4- SAT at Westfield
- June 4-Reema Samaha Remembrance Cabaret 7:30-9:30pm
- June 6-SOL retakes
- June 7-Orchestra’s Spring Concert
- June 8/9-Pyramid Art Show 6:30-8:30pm/8:00am-12:00pm
- June 9-Band Concert (all 3 bands perform) 7pm
- June 10-Senior finals begin
- June 11-Senior Theater Cabaret
- June 16-Underclass finals begin
- June 16-Senior Awards
- June 19-Westfield 5K
- June 21- Graduation- no school
- June 21- All Night Grad Party 11:00pm
- June 22-Final PTSA meeting of year/Voting for new board members
- June 23-Last day of school/ Staff Luncheon
On Sunday June 19th the Westfield SGA will be putting on a 5K in memory of Conor Bouveron and Mike Greiner. This year, both Conor and Mike unexpectedly passed away from heart related ailments. The purpose of the run is not only to memorialize Conor and Mike, but also to help raise money for the American Heart Association. Half the proceeds from the event will be given to the AHA to help combat heart disease and heart related illnesses.
The following is important information about the event:
- When: Sunday June 19th, Opening Ceremony @ 9 am
- Where: Westfield High School (Meet in Bus Loop in front of the school)
- What: 5K run that will travel up and down Stonecroft Boulevard and around Conference Center Drive
- Why: In memory of Conor Bouveron and Mike Greiner, and to help support the American Heart Association
- How: Register for $30 at https://runsignup.com/whsneonrun
We would love to get as many people as possible involved. The more the better! There are opportunities to participate not only by running in the event, but also by volunteering. Official timing of the run is being conducted by The Commonwealth Timing Company.
Race participants (both runners and volunteers) should wear bright neon colors. Runners will be given T-Shirts, Sun Glasses and other goodies along the way as they run. The event will also be accepting sponsorships from businesses and individuals to help maximize the amount of money we can raise. If you or others you know are interested in sponsoring the event you can find information on the website.
I hope to see many of you over the next few weeks,
What a wonderful ride…..
Westfield HS PTSA President