PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 8-24-15
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
8/24-8/29 – Online Silent Auction: silent auction link
8/24 – Bulldog Bootcamp begins
8/26 – Freshman and New Student Parent Meeting
9/1 – Bulldog BBQ and Silent Auction – Volunteers Needed!
9/4 – Freshman and New Student Orientation
9/8 – First day of school
9/16 – Back-To-School Night (11th/12th grade)
9/19 – Practice PSAT/SAT test
9/29 – Back-To-School Night (9th/10th grade)
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Thank You to Kathleen Lazor and Beth Tweddle for your hours of work hauling trash, weeding and uncovering a nice brick path in the courtyard off the “E” Hallway! It’s been a long time since it looked so nice! We appreciate your work!
- Thank you to the WHS Custodial Staff: Over the summer, the Westfield Custodial staff has worked very hard getting the school looking fantastic! The floors are incredibly shiny and many other projects have also been tackled. Please take a moment to thank every custodian you see!
- ONLINE Silent Auction: The 2015 Silent Auction begins at noon on Monday, August 24th! It will run online through Saturday, August 29th and will then shift to the Bulldog BBQ on September 1st. Here is the link: Silent Auction Link Please check out the fantastic items for sale! Items include golf outings, restaurant cards, Disney World passes, sports items from the Nats, Orioles, Caps and Redskins, tickets to great activities around the area, handmade stadium blankets, a week at a beautiful Virginia Beach condo, and more…..Please share the link with your friends and family and help make the 2015 silent auction a success! Thank you to Mary Shirley, Julie Lovejoy and Margaret Benson-McCarthy for their work on this year’s event!
- Parking Applications: Student parking applications are now being accepted for the 2015-2016 school year. Forms and other information can be found on the Westfield web page . Students may bring back signed forms to K102 – the security office near the cafeteria. There are very specific guidelines that students must follow.
- 2 Parking Spots will be raffled: Thanks to Mr. Bour in Security, we have two of the best student parking spots that will be raffled off! At each of the parking meetings and at the Bulldog BBQ, tickets will be available. Tickets are $5 each or 5 tickets for $20. The winning students will exchange their parking pass for the close spot pass!
- PTSA Membership: As you start filling out the essential forms for your student(s), please also fill out the downloadable PTSA membership form! If you prefer, you can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters. Thank you!
- Kindle Fire HD Drawing: Everyone who joins the PTSA by October 9th will be entered into a drawing for a new Kindle Fire HD!
- Volunteers Needed!: Throughout the year, you will receive notice of the need for volunteers. Usually the needs are listed on our Sign Up Genius page which is linked to the Volunteer button on the PTSA webpage and sent out through an e-blast, posted on our Facebook page, and occasionally, sent out through a Keep In Touch message. The first needs will be volunteers for the Bulldog BBQ on September 1st .
- Library Volunteers Needed: The library has requested parent volunteers for this year. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Mrs. Lesser at JTLesser@fcps.edu
- Health Clinic Volunteers Needed: The health clinic has requested parent volunteers this year. The Fairfax County Health Department provides free, required training for anyone who volunteers in the clinic. Two training sessions are scheduled: 10/21 from 9:30-11:30 am and again on 11/12 from 12:30-2:30 pm. Training takes place in Reston. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Ms. Frost at JEFrost@fcps.edu
- Practice PSAT/SAT: The WHS PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a practice SAT/PSAT on Saturday, September 19th. The test is $20. This practice test aligns with the PSAT and the new SAT that will be given starting in 2016. To register, please visit: Practice Test Registration
- Principal Search: The search for the new WHS Principal continues. We are lucky to have Mr. Rumberger here until the new Principal is named. At last week’s PTSA meeting, Mr. Rumberger said that the hope is to have a new Principal named by early to mid-September.
- Rising 9th grade and New Student Parents: There will be a meeting on Wednesday, August 26th at 7 pm in the auditorium. At this meeting, you will be introduced to Westfield and have a chance to learn more about your student’s new school.
- Rising Freshman and New Student Orientation: There will be an orientation on Friday, September 4th from 8 am until noon for all freshmen and new students. Bus transportation is available from the following elementary schools: Cub Run, Deer Park, Floris, McNair, London Towne and Virginia Run. Buses will leave each school at 7:30 am and should return at approximately 12:30 pm.
- FCPS Budget Issues are Real: Please consider sending letters to the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors to let them know your feelings on the projected budget shortfall for the school system. State legislators are also important to contact, as the state allocates a certain percentage of funding to each county’s schools, as calculated through the Local Composite Index. FCPS faces tough cuts this year if they do not increase the amount of money that we are allocated. Good Schools bring in good Business to the county.
- Summer Assignments: Summer assignments are listed on the Westfield webpage.
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- Easy Ways to Help the PTSA: Bhavani Koneru, our Ways and Means Chair, has registered Westfield with businesses that support schools. These include Giant Food, Harris Teeter, Target and Amazon. For information on registering so that your purchases benefit Westfield, please visit: Easy Fundraiser Links
- Dog Dish Cafe: At both Back-To-School nights (9/16 and 9/29), the PTSA will sponsor the Dog Dish Cafe in the cafeteria. Arrive early, avoid the parking and traffic headaches and enjoy a light dinner before heading to your student's classes. Details will be announced soon. Volunteers will be needed. Thank you Karen Lowe for organizing!
- Are you the parent of a military dependent? Are you concerned about your child's eating? Is he or she above average weight? The Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and Fort Belvoir Community Hospital are conducting a study to test how effective a group program is in the prevention of excess weight gain among military dependents aged 12 to 17 years who are above average weight and report loss of control eating. Study visits take place at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center and Fort Belvoir Community Hospital. Individuals who qualify to participate in this study will be compensated for their time. For more information, please call 301-295-1598.
- PTSA Calendar: We try to keep the PTSA calendar updated with useful information about goings on around school. If you are the representative of a club or group at Westfield and would like an event you have scheduled added to the PTSA’s calendar, please email email@example.com. To check out the calendar, visit the PTSA’s webpage and click on “calendar” or see events at the bottom of the main page. PTSA calendar
- Summer Parent Clinic: The FCPS Office of Intervention and Prevention Services is offering its Summer Parent Clinic. Parents can schedule a 45 minute consultation with a School Psychologist of School Social Worker. Supportive consultation is available for parents when children are experiencing social-emotional, behavioral, or academic challenges such as anxiety, attention, poor school performance, bullying, and poor peer or family interactions. School Psychologists and School Social Workers are available for parents for assistance in identifying community resources, guidance on how to manage challenging behaviors, as well as how to work collaboratively with school teams around issues of academic or behavioral concern. To schedule an appointment, please call the FCPS Parent Clinic at 703-503-2506, 703-503-2507 or email at http://www.fcps.edu/dss/parentclinic/mailform.html
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.