PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 10-5-15
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
10/5-10/10 – Homecoming Week, “Summer Nights” (Details below)
10/6-7 – Vision and Hearing Screening (volunteers still needed)
10/9 – Student Holiday
10/9 – Staff Luncheon – donations requested (see below)
10/9 – Homecoming Parade – 4 PM (new time this year)
10/15 – PTSA Meeting, 7 pm – Ms. Lesser Social Media Presentation
10/17 – BITS tutoring begins, 9:30 am
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Staff Luncheon: The PTSA is sponsoring a staff appreciation luncheon on Friday, October 9th. There are still a number of openings. If you can help, please click here
- Volunteers Needed: Throughout the year, you will receive notice of the need for volunteers. Usually the needs are represented on our Sign Up Genius page (http://www.signupgenius.com/go/whsbulldog) and sent out through an e-blast, posted on our Facebook page, and occasionally, sent out through a Keep In Touch message. The next need: Vision and Hearing Screenings 10/6 and 10/7!
- PTSA Membership: Please join the PTSA this year! You can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage or download the membership form and send it, along with payment, to the main office. It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters.
- Kindle Fire HD Drawing: Everyone who joins the PTSA by October 9th will be entered into a drawing for a new Kindle Fire HD!
- Directory: Enough orders were received to create a 2015-16 Student Directory! There is a little more time to purchase one – in case you were waiting to see if there’d be one! Directories are $10 and orders must be received by October 15th. Orders are placed using the PTSA membership form. Membership/Directory form
- Some of the benefits of PTSA Membership: By being a member of the PTSA, you are eligible for discounts at the following: click here
- Dog Dish Café Thank You: Thank you for visiting the Dog Dish Café this year and thank you to Karen Lowe for a fantastic job organizing! Thank you to the awesome volunteers: Siddarth Akalwadi, Derek Ampaw, Linda Braskamp, Alice Bremer, Amanda Bremer, Alison Burns, Kowshik Chepuri, Mary Ann Cox, Jacob Elson, Carol Engelbrecht, Allie Frye, Becky Martin, Adriana Rossi, Mary Shirley (and Aunt Alice) and Glen Spindel!
- Homecoming Week Spirit Days: Mon (10/5)- America day; Tues (10/6) – ABC day (dress as something that your name starts with – ex: Doctor Diana); Wed (10/7) – Jersey day; Thurs (10/8) – Black Out day. Other events: Powder Puff Game – Tuesday, 10/6 at 7 pm. Tickets $5; Pep Rally- Thursday during last hour of school day. (Bonfire cancelled.)
- Homecoming Parade: Friday, 10/9 – Come see the class and other floats, marching band, dance team, elementary schools, the police and fire department representatives, and more! Starts at Cub Run Elementary School at 4 pm. (Please note the time change from previous years.)
- Homecoming Dance Tickets: Tickets will be sold during lunches through Thursday ($20/ticket) Permission slips are needed for any non-WHS guest that a WHS student would like to bring. The dance is Saturday, 10/10 from 8:30-11:30 at school.
- BITS Tutoring: Saturday morning tutoring begins Saturday, 10/17. Volunteer tutors are needed and students in need of tutoring (grades 2-12) are invited. Tutors receive volunteer hour credit. Everyone must register and complete an emergency care form. Tutoring occurs three Saturday mornings per month and runs from 9:30-11:00. No one will be admitted after 9:40 am.
- FCPS Language Textbooks: New textbooks are being considered for Spanish, German and French classes, for use beginning in the 2016-17 school year. Community input has been requested now through October 22nd. Community review of textbooks
- Senior Pictures: The final days for senior pictures are 11/2 and 11/3 by appointment. Seniors who cannot make these times should contact Victor O’Neill Studios at 1-800-320-2894 extensions 100 and 500. Seniors who miss these make up days run the risk of not being pictured in the yearbook.
- Yearbook Orders: Online ordering for yearbooks, code 5577. The price is now $60 and goes up on November 1st.
- Newspaper Subscription: Due to budget constraints, The Watchdog (school newspaper) will be mailed only one time, at the end of the year. If you’d like to subscribe to receive each quarterly issue by mail or would like to support the program, click here
- Emperor Science Award Essay Contest: Essay contest for sophomores and juniors interested in science and cancer research. Deadline 11/1/15. click here
- Junior Achievement Essay Competition: For information, click here
- Meet and Greet Candidates: There are several opportunities to “meet and greet” candidates for the various offices that are up for election in November. For dates and times for areas of interest to you, visit here
- Student Volunteers Needed (Seniors – Government Hours Possibility-check with your teacher): Student volunteers are needed at the upcoming “Meet and Greet” sessions throughout the county. For information, visit here Click on the tab of the meeting day, time, and/or location in which you are interested to see available volunteer spots.
- Upcoming Election Information: To learn about what will be on the ballot in the November election, visit here
- FCPS Budget Issues are Real: For information on the budget process and to provide your input on the matters, please visit here
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- PTSA Calendar: We try to keep the PTSA calendar updated with useful information about goings on around school. If you are the representative of a club or group at Westfield and would like an event you have scheduled added to the PTSA’s calendar, please email email@example.com. To check out the calendar, visit the PTSA’s webpage and click on “calendar” or see events at the bottom of the main page. PTSA calendar
- English for Speakers of Other Languages Department Volunteers Needed: The ESOL Department teachers have asked for help with copying and assembling booklets used by the ESOL students. This can be done at school or at home. Please contact Ms. Kuchno at JLKuchno@fpcs.edu if you can help. Thanks!
- Health Clinic Volunteers Needed: The health clinic has requested parent volunteers this year. The Fairfax County Health Department provides free, required training for anyone who volunteers in the clinic. Two training sessions are scheduled: 10/21 from 9:30-11:30 am and again on 11/12 from 12:30-2:30 pm. Training takes place in Reston. If you are interested, please contact Ms. Frost at JEFrost@fcps.edu
- Sully Police Station and Citizens Advisory Committee presentation on Hostage Negotiations, 10/14 at 7:30 pm: Detective Doug Comfort will present about how the FCPD handles hostage situations and how the department is trained to respond to a fast-moving dynamic event. RSVP: 703-814-7018 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- THANK YOU to the generous Silent Auction donors! Please support those who support WHS:
LET’S GO BULLDOGS!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.