PTSA E-Tidbit News
Please “LIKE” us on FacebookUpcoming Dates/Events (for a complete list of events, see the calendar.
- BITS tutoring continues: 12/5 and 12
- SOL Writing-Seniors from 12/7-12/11
- Fairfax County Board of Supervisor Budget hearing to protect our schools-12/8 at 3:30pm Fairfax Government Center
- Band Concert- 12/10 at 7pm
- PTSA Meeting- 12/10 at 7pm email Meg Crossett for directions
- State Football Championship- 12/12 at Scott Stadium UVA 4:00pm see below:
- Many sports teams are starting regular season, please view the calendar.
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Board of Supervisor’s Meeting: Please plan to attend the Board of Supervisor’s meeting tomorrow, December 8th at 3:30pm at the Fairfax Government Center. There are many ways to show your support in fully funding FCPS. You can submit personal letters to the VA General Assembly representatives and Fairfax County Board of Supervisors Members. In two minutes, you can reach many elected officals: http://cqrcengage.com/IamFCPS/. You can sign the parent-created petition to the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors directing them to fully fund FCPS: http://bit.ly/FCPSpetition. Like the #IamFCPS Facebook Page – and share! Lastly, you can join the #IAmFCPS campaign! Contact iamfcps@gmail with questions or for more information.
- Practice SAT Test: The PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a newly redesigned SAT or ACT practice test on Saturday, January 9th from 8 am – 12 pm at Westfield. At registration, the student decides which practice test to take. There is a $20 fee to take the test. To register or for more information, please click here (Remember: these are practice tests and the scores are not reported.)
- Student Busses to the VHSL 6A Football State Finals: There will be two student busses going to the VHSL 6A Football State Finals. In order to secure your place on the bus, you must turn in permission form and payment to the student activities office starting at 7:30am on December 8. First come, first served. The check should be payable to Westfield HS for $35. Cash is also accepted. The $35 includes, charter bus transportation to and from the game and a ticket to the game. There will be faculty chaperones on the bus. Forms (pdf) can be found in all lunches and in the Student Activities Office.
Itinerary for Saturday, December 12, 2015:
- 12:30pm – Meet at Westfield High School Door #11 to check in with Chaperone and get on bus
- 1pm Depart Westfield High School Door #11 (receive game ticket, once on the bus)
- 3:15pm arrive at Scott Stadium, University of Virginia
- 4:07 Game time (eat at the game, bring your own spending money)
- Approximately 7pm game ends
- 20 minutes after the game get on bus
- Return back to Westfield, drop off at door #11 (approximately 9:30pm) Make sure your ride home is there when the charter bus drops you off (call ahead). BACK PACKS/FOOD/DRINK will NOT be allowed in Scott Stadium.
Form collection begins 7:30am on Tuesday December 8, 2015. Bring forms and payment to the Student Activities Office. You must have both signed permission form AND payment to reserve your spot. First Come, first served. Form collection ends on Thursday Dec 10 at 12noon OR when the buses are full, whichever one comes first.
- Ho-Ho Holiday Show: Plan on coming out for the annual Westfield High School Children’s Theater Annual Ho-Ho Holiday Show. There will be 6 shows: Twas The Night Before Christmas, A Very Harry Potter Hanukkah, The Grinch, Charlie Brown’s Christmas, A Year Without Santa Clause and Frosty The Snowman. Shows are Friday, December 18 at 7pm and Saturday, December 19 at 2p.m. Tickets are $5 at the door. Seating is General Admission.
- Kids in Crisis: Thanks to all of the wonderful support, we have been able to support 5 families for the holidays! We will still be accepting gift cards up to December 17th. Please drop them off in the main office – attention: Kids in Crisis.
- Teacher Holiday Appreciation: We are looking for donations of pies and sweet treats for a “punch and pie” event for the teachers on December 16th. Please consider donating one of your specialties for our fabulous teachers on the morning of the 16th. RSVP to Meglawless@cox.net if you can supply something.
- Giant Food Apples for the Students Program: Thank you for alerting us to the nonworking Giant number. Our Ways and Means coordinator is trying to figure out the issue with Westfield’s code in the Giant program. Once it is resolved, we will ask you to register your card if you are willing. Thanks!
- Harris Teeter Education Program: If you shop at Harris Teeter, please register your VIC card for the “Together in Education” program. Westfield’s code is 8134. You must reregister each year. Thanks!
- Target Education Giving Program: Target’s “Take Charge of Education” program is ending in May 2016 but until then, they will continue to donate funds to Westfield if you register your Red Card for the program. Westfield’s code is 11684 Thanks!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- FCPS Parent Information Account: All FCPS parents and guardians are encouraged to register for access to the new parent account system. It will allow you to see your student’s grades, attendance information, course history and much more. If you have not yet registered, you should have received a new letter from FCPS. It contains the log in information and a time sensitive “activation key” that will expire December 1st. The link to the activation page is here. This activation page is available in multiple languages. You do not need to call or go to school to activate it.
- FCPS Outstanding Employee Nominations: FCPS has opened its “Outstanding Teacher” recognition program. There are several other categories which open for nominations in the near future. If you would like to nominate someone, please click here for details. The “Outstanding Teacher” nominations close January 6th.
- Donations of Magazines Requested: The ESOL Department has requested donations of magazines. Preferred titles/subjects are: Sports Illustrated, News Magazines (Time, U.S. News, etc), Teen magazines, Teen music, Video Gaming, Technology/Mobile Phones, Readers Digest, Soccer magazines, National Geographic, Smithsonian, Magazines in other languages (any). Please send any donations to the main office, attention: Mrs. Kuchno, ESOL Teacher, Room A116.
- PTSA Membership: Please join the PTSA this year! You can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage or download the membership form and send it, along with payment, to the main office. It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters.
- BITS Tutoring: Saturday morning tutoring continues. Volunteer tutors are needed and students in need of tutoring (grades 2-12) are invited. Tutors receive volunteer hour credit. Everyone must register and complete an emergency care form. Tutoring occurs three Saturday mornings per month and runs from 9:30-11:00. No one will be admitted after 9:40 am. The December dates are 12/5 and 12/12.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages Department Volunteers Needed: The ESOL Department teachers have asked for help with copying and assembling booklets used by the ESOL students. This can be done at school or at home. Please contact Ms. Kuchno at JLKuchno@fpcs.edu if you can help. Thanks!
- Junior Achievement Essay Competition: For information, click here Deadline: 12/8
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
- Silent Auction Donors: For a complete list of the 2015 donors to the Bulldog BBQ and silent auction, visit here
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.