PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 1-3-16
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
1/6: Curriculum Night, 7 pm – 8:30 pm
1/9: Practice SAT or ACT Test, 8 am. Register here.
1/9: BITS Tutoring resumes
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Practice SAT Test: The PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a newly redesigned SAT or ACT practice test this Saturday, January 9th from 8 am – 12 pm at Westfield. At registration, the student decides which practice test to take. There is a $20 fee to take the test. To register or for more information, please click here
- Curriculum Night: On January 6th from 7-8:30 pm, the school is hosting Curriculum Night. This the time for students to investigate course options for the 2016-2017 school year. Teachers will be available to answer questions about different core and elective classes.
- 2016-2017 Academic Course and Advising Schedule: The link to the 2016-2017 academic advising calendar and the course catalogs, which may vary based on when your student began 9th grade, can be found here. Please encourage your students to take this process seriously, as changing classes after the deadline is difficult and often times, it is not possible to switch into some courses. Staffing decisions are based on student enrollment.
- SOL Retakes: SOL retakes begin this week. Students will receive passes to their test(s) and can check in the Student Services Department or with their counselors if they aren’t sure about retaking a test. Students need to pass a certain number of SOLs to graduate. For the days when specific tests will be administered, please visit here. Please encourage your student to review for their test if they need to retake one. Past tests, which have been released by the Virginia Department of Education can be found here.
- Mulch Sale: The annual mulch sale will begin soon. Please keep the WHS Mulch sale in mind as you plan your spring mulch needs. More information will follow soon. Also, several mulch committee chair positions will open in the next year or so and we seek volunteers to "shadow" current committee chairs. These include: mulch chair, routes, sales, and hospitality. Please contact Julie Glowacki at email@example.com if you have questions or would like to hear about the positions. Thank you!
- WeSTEP is coming: Seniors interested in an internship in June are invited to be part of WeSTEP! Needed is 2.5 or higher GP and strong attendance. WeSTEP applications are available on the Westfield website under the “Seniors” link or can be picked up in room E101. Mrs. Lee can talk with seniors about internship placements as well.
- WeSTEP Community Sponsors Needed: Westfield High School is looking for business partnerships for the 2016 WHS WeSTEP Internship Program. The program runs from June 6th through June 17th. All interns satisfy high standards, including grade, attendance and discipline records reviews. To participate, your organization should be able to offer an intern a minimum of 60 hours of work. We seek paid and unpaid internships. The program was such a success last year that at least 23 of our seniors were offered summer employment! Please contact Patricia Lee at PYLee@fcps.edu for additional information about the program and to see if we can help you find the perfect intern(s). Your collaboration is an important part of the education of our seniors, and we look forward to working with you.
- Yearbook Orders: Yearbook sales are ongoing. The current price is $70. Over 60% of yearbooks that will be printed have already been sold. Don’t wait until June – the price will be higher and the yearbook might be sold out. To order, click here and use code 5577.
- Giant Food Apples for the Students Program: Our coordinator, Bhavani Koneru, has solved the Giant Bonus Card issue and Westfield is an option when registering your bonus card. Please register yourself and anyone else you can for the program! All money earned goes directly to the school and is used to support the students and staff. To register, please click here. Westfield's code is 03798 Thank you!
- Harris Teeter Education Program: If you shop at Harris Teeter, please register your VIC card for the “Together in Education” program. Westfield’s code is 8134. You must reregister each year. Thanks!
- Target Education Giving Program: Target’s “Take Charge of Education” program is ending in May 2016 but until then, they will continue to donate funds to Westfield if you register your Red Card for the program. Westfield’s code is 11684 Thanks!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- Families in Crisis Coordinator Needed: The PTSA seeks someone to learn the Families in Crisis “ropes” from our long-serving coordinator, Meg Crossett, as her daughter will be graduating this year. This volunteer spot requires the utmost in confidentiality. Ideally, the new coordinator will be the parent of a freshman or younger student(s) who can be in the role for several years. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Meg at firstname.lastname@example.org
- FCPS Outstanding Employee Nominations: The deadline for the FCPS “Outstanding Teacher” recognition program is January 6th. There are several other categories which open for nominations in the near future. If you would like to nominate someone, please click here for details.
- Donations of Magazines Request Continues: The ESOL Department has requested donations of magazines. Preferred titles/subjects are: Sports Illustrated, News Magazines (Time, U.S. News, etc), Teen magazines, Teen music, Video Gaming, Technology/Mobile Phones, Readers Digest, Soccer magazines, National Geographic, Smithsonian, Magazines in other languages (any). Please send any donations to the main office, attention: Mrs. Kuchno, ESOL Teacher, Room A116.
- Turbo-Tutoring: The next Turbo-Tutoring session will take place on January 20th at Briar Woods High School from 6:30-9:00 pm. For information and to register, please click here
- PTSA Membership: Please join the PTSA this year! You can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage or download the membership form and send it, along with payment, to the main office. It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters.
- Sully Station Police Department and Citizens Advisory Committee Present “Cold Case!” On Wednesday, January 13 from 7:30-9:00 pm, will present an intriguing look at how the cold case unit works and solves cases. The presentation will be at the Sully District Station, 4900 Stonecroft Blvd.
- BITS Tutoring: BITS tutoring in January will be on the 9th, 23rd and 30th.
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
- Silent Auction Donors: For a complete list of the 2015 donors to the Bulldog BBQ and
silent auction, visit here
HAPPY NEW YEAR BULLDOGS!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.