PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 2-7-16
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
2/9: New SAT Information Seminar, 7 pm
2/9: Foster’s Fundraiser for Band, 4 pm – 9 pm
2/11: WHS National History Day Fair (new date)
2/11: ANGP Planning Meeting, 7 pm
2/15: President’s Day Holiday
2/19-2/21: Theatre’s Production of To Kill A Mockingbird
2/20: Turbo-Tutoring SAT Prep class
Here are several updates from around the school:
- PTSA Membership: Please join the PTSA this year—it’s not too late! You can sign up and pay online at PTSA webpage or download the membership form and send it, along with payment, to the main office. It takes many people joining and helping in the mission of success for all students at Westfield. Please be one of those people – your participation matters.
- The Teenage Brain Seminar to be rescheduled: Our Parent Programs chair is hoping to reschedule the seminar for this coming Friday, 2/12. She is waiting for confirmation.
- Kaplan New SAT Information Seminar: Are you wondering about the new SAT and the changes? Come hear Michelle Keefe, Kaplan’s Pre-College Program Manager, discuss the changes. The program will take place Tuesday, February 9th at 7 pm in the Lecture Hall.
- 2016 Mulch Day Prize Chair Needed: A volunteer is needed to purchase prizes and coordinate the prize table for this year’s mulch sale. Questions? Interested? Contact email@example.com
- Mulch Sale: The annual mulch sale has begun. Delivery will take place on April 8th and 9th. To order online, click here. To download the order form, click here. Bags are $4.95 each, with $2.65 of each bag ordered being tax deductible. Once again, the mulch spreading service is being offered. Both the available mulch and the available spreading service have sold out each of the last two years. Order early! Free delivery is available for orders of 15 bags or more to WHS boundary addresses. Pick up is available at Westfield for orders under 15 bags and those outside WHS boundaries.
- Theatre’s Production of To Kill A Mockingbird: The Westfield High School Theatre Arts Department presents Harper Lee’s classic tale, To Kill a Mockingbird, February 19th and February 20th at 7:30 p.m. and February 21st at 2:00 p.m. Tickets are $10 in advance and with a valid student ID, and $12 at the door. Seating is reserved and tickets are available online at www.westfieldtheatreboosters.com.
- Mulch Volunteers: Many volunteers will be needed to help deliver all that mulch! Sign-ups will start soon. Student AND adult volunteers are needed to make this event a success. Adults are needed mostly to drive students to the mulch deliveries. Please mark your calendars for April 8th and/or 9th and join the annual Westfield community event! Great for service hours – we will sign forms! Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2016-2017 Academic Course and Advising Schedule: The link to the 2016-2017 academic advising calendar and the course catalogs, which may vary based on when your student began 9th grade, can be found here. Please encourage your students to take this process seriously, as changing classes after the deadline is difficult and often times, it is not possible to switch into some courses because they are full. Staffing decisions are based on student enrollment.
- Economics and Personal Finance Class: Did you know that the in-school Economics and Personal Finance class meets the following graduation requirements: taking an online course (there is an online component), industry credential test (which can also be used as a verified SOL credit), and the CTE requirement? The class can also be taken completely online, but for a fee. Students can talk with their guidance counselors for more information about this required course and the course options.
- Mulch Committee Chair Openings (seeking volunteers to “shadow” this year): Several mulch committee chair positions will open in the next year or so and we seek volunteers to "shadow" current committee chairs. These include: mulch chair, publicity, routes, sales, and hospitality. Please be involved with this annual community event – there is a short busy period leading up to the event and the delivery itself is hectic, but then it’s over. Please email@example.com if you have questions or would like to hear about the positions. Thank you!
- PTSA Board Opening - Treasurer: The PTSA seeks someone to become the PTSA Treasurer beginning in July. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Meg Crossett at firstname.lastname@example.org No experience is needed, though a financial background is helpful. The current treasurer will provided training, if needed.
- Superintendent Garza’s Listening Tour: Dr. Garza will hold 5 listening tour meetings in the coming weeks. The closest meeting to Westfield will be at Centreville High School on February 29th at 6:30 pm. Other dates and information can be found here. If you plan to attend, it is requested that you register here.
- WeSTEP is coming: Seniors interested in an internship in June are invited to be part of WeSTEP! Needed is 2.5 or higher GP and strong attendance. WeSTEP applications are available on the Westfield website under the “Seniors” link or can be picked up in room E101. Mrs. Lee can talk with seniors about internship placements as well.
- WeSTEP Community Sponsors Needed: Westfield High School is looking for business partnerships for the 2016 WHS WeSTEP Internship Program. The program runs from June 6th through June 17th. All interns satisfy high standards, including grade, attendance and discipline records reviews. To participate, your organization should be able to offer an intern a minimum of 60 hours of work. We seek paid and unpaid internships and seek to add new opportunities for students in a law firm or other law related careers, animal preservation (a zoo maybe), and finance. The program was such a success last year that at least 23 of our seniors were offered summer employment! Please contact Patricia Lee at PYLee@fcps.edu for additional information about the program and to see if we can help you find the perfect intern(s). Your collaboration is an important part of the education of our seniors, and we look forward to working with you.
- All Night Grad Party: Plans are underway for the 2016 All Night Grad Celebration. The next committee meeting is February 11th at 7 pm. Questions or interested in volunteering? Contact email@example.com
- Senior Parents – FAFSA Workshops: Have you started the FAFSA and need help? College Access Fairfax is hosting several FAFSA workshops. For information and/or to register, click here.
- Turbo-Tutoring: The next Turbo-Tutoring session will take place on February 20th at Westfield High School from 9:30 am – 12:00 pm. For information and to register, please click here
- BITS Tutoring: BITS tutoring in February will be on the 13th, 20th, and 27th as long as the school is open.
- FCPS Summer Program Registration: Registration is open for some of the courses and programs offered by FCPS in the summer. For information, click here.
- Seniors: Want to earn that black cord at graduation? The Service Hours Record Sheet can be found here
- Technology@Home Program: Technology@Home, a program offered by the FCPS Department of Information Technology, enables students and staff members to purchase technology products for home use directly from vendors at discount rates. It includes computers, software, and other technology products. One of the offerings is a benefit of the FCPS Microsoft Enterprise Agreement that allows current FCPS students to download Microsoft Office 365 for free and staff members to download these programs for a nominal fee. For additional information, go to http://www.fcps.edu/it/technology/TechnologyHome.shtml.
- Telephone Parent Information Line Available in 8 Languages: Parents who speak Ahmaric, Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Spanish, Urdu, or Vietnamese can call a telephone information line to help them learn general information about FCPS and to receive support if they are having difficulty communicating with their children's schools due to a language barrier. The Parent Information Line numbers are: Amharic—571-423-4957; Arabic—571-423-4952; Chinese—571-423-4953; Farsi—571-423-4954; Korean—571-423-4951; Spanish—571-423-4950; Urdu—571-423-4955; Vietnamese—571-423-4956. A parent may call at any time, leave a message in his or her language, and receive a return phone call in that language from an FCPS staff member within 24 hours Monday through Friday.
- Yearbook Orders: Yearbook sales are ongoing. The current price is $70. Over 60% of yearbooks that will be printed have already been sold. Don’t wait until June – the price will be higher and the yearbook might be sold out. To order, click here and use code 5577.
- Giant Food Apples for the Students Program: Our coordinator, Bhavani Koneru, has solved the Giant Bonus Card issue and Westfield is an option when registering your bonus card. Please register yourself and anyone else you can for the program! All money earned goes directly to the school and is used to support the students and staff. To register, please click here. Westfield's code is 03798 Thank you!
- Harris Teeter Education Program: If you shop at Harris Teeter, please register your VIC card for the “Together in Education” program. Westfield’s code is 8134. You must reregister each year. Thanks!
- Target Education Giving Program: Target’s “Take Charge of Education” program is ending in May 2016 but until then, they will continue to donate funds to Westfield if you register your Red Card for the program. Westfield’s code is 11684 Thanks!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you.
- Donations of Magazines Request Continues: The ESOL Department has requested donations of magazines. Preferred titles/subjects are: Sports Illustrated, News Magazines (Time, U.S. News, etc), Teen magazines, Teen music, Video Gaming, Technology/Mobile Phones, Readers Digest, Soccer magazines, National Geographic, Smithsonian, Magazines in other languages (any). Please send any donations to the main office, attention: Mrs. Kuchno, ESOL Teacher, Room A116.
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
- Silent Auction Donors: For a complete list of the 2015 donors to the Bulldog BBQ and silent auction, visit here . We appreciate our sponsors!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.