PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 4-4-16
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
Now-4/8 – Mulch Day Volunteer and Food Donation Sign Ups! Please help.
4/4 – Last day to order Basketball State Championship spirit wear (see #12)
4/7 – Turbo Tutoring (ACT Prep), 6:30-9:15 pm
4/8 and 4/9 – MULCH Weekend!
4/9 – BITS Tutoring for 3rd-12th graders, 9:30-11:00 am
4/13 – Superintendent’s Listening Tour, 6:30 pm (Chantilly HS)
4/14 - "What's Next? How to Navigate HS and Get Into College" Panel Presentation, 7 pm
- 2016 Forklift Driver still needed for Mulch Day (April 8th and/or 9th): One more forklift driver needed for this year’s mulch day. Help is needed with unloading mulch from the delivering tractor trailers and loading it into the vehicles used to deliver to our customers. Experience helpful but not required. We have experienced drivers who can show you what to do. Please contact Karen Duncan with questions or to volunteer. email@example.com
- Mulch Volunteers (April 8th and 9th)—WE NEED YOU!: Many volunteers will be needed to help deliver all that mulch! Sign-up at the PTSA website.. Student AND adult volunteers are needed to make this event a success. Adults are needed mostly to drive students to the mulch deliveries. Please mark your calendars for April 8th and/or 9th and join the annual Westfield community event! Great for service hours – we will sign forms! Great prizes! Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Food Donations for Mulch Day: Please help feed the many volunteers who work on mulch day! Click here to sign up. There are still sign ups for hamburgers/buns and monetary donations. Thank you! (If you’d like a tax receipt, please let Karen Fiala know. Her contact information is on the sign up page. The PTSA is a 501c3 organization.)
- BITS Tutoring: BITS tutoring will run on Saturdays April 9th, 16th, and 30th. This is FREE tutoring for all 3rd-12th grade students in the Westfield pyramid. Please spread the word! BITS info link
- All Night Grad Party Volunteers Needed, June 21st—Underclass, Senior and Alum Parents Invited and Encouraged to help: This event takes place the night of graduation and is a drug-and-alcohol-free event celebrating the current year graduates. This year, the event will be held at Westfield with certain areas of the building being transformed into a fun celebration zone and includes a magician/illusionist, mechanical bull, DJ, Casino, lots of games, prizes, food, and more! This annual event is the culmination of four years of hard work for the graduates and a chance for them to celebrate their success! MANY volunteers (parents of students in all grades) are needed for the various committees such as games and prizes, food, and security. Contact email@example.com to volunteer or with questions.
- ANGP Tickets and Risk Forms: Seniors can now purchase their 2016 ANPG tickets at the bargain price of $40 each! ANGP is the drug-and-alcohol-free celebration the night of graduation and celebrates the Class of 2016 graduating seniors! For more information and to purchase tickets, click here and then click on the links above the graduation hat! After buying a ticket, risk forms must be completed and turned into the main office. Every attendee must have completed risk forms, even if they are 18 years old or older.
- ANGP Prize Basket Donations Requested: Part of the fun of the ANGP is winning prizes! Each year, there are a number of themed baskets donated by community members and senior parents. If you are interested in putting together a themed basket (college theme, dorm room, summer fun, laundry, etc), please sign up here. A tax deductible receipt is available if needed.
- PTSA Board Openings – Treasurer and Vice President: The PTSA seeks someone to become the PTSA Treasurer beginning in July and Vice President in June. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Meg Crossett at firstname.lastname@example.org No experience is needed, though a financial background is helpful for the Treasurer position. The current treasurer will provided training, if needed.
- Practice SAT or ACT: The PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a practice SAT or ACT (student choice at registration) on April 30th at 8 am. This is a chance to take a full length (no essay) practice test to see where your strengths and areas for improvement are. Scores are for your use only and are not reported. To register, click here and go to the Practice Test button. There is a $20 fee to take the test.
- Turbo-Tutoring ACT Prep Class: Turbo-tutoring is now holding ACT prep classes. The first will be April 7th at 6:30 pm at Westfield. To register, please click here.
- Crew Dinner Fundraiser: The Crew team is holding a dinner fundraiser tomorrow, April 5th, at the Chiptole by the Chantilly Costco. The time is 2-8 pm. You must either have the flier printed out or show it on your phone. The flier can be found on the WHS PTSA’s facebook page and on the Westfield Crew 2015-2016 facebook page.
- Final Day to order Basketball State Champion Spiritwear: The website for orders closes tonight. If you’d like to order, click here and enter the password ewell7y9
- PTSA Panel Discussion: Westfield Alums will discuss the topic “What would I do differently to get into college?”: On Thursday, April 14th at 7 pm in the Lecture Hall, a panel of WHS alums will discuss college preparation: what they did and what they would do differently knowing what they do now. Following a discussion, there will be a question and answer period. Please join us.
- Special Education Conference: The conference is free and open to parents, educators and community members. Attend the conference to learn the latest research, strategies, and trends in the education of students with learning challenges, special needs, and disabilities. Workshop topics will include executive functioning skills, dyslexia, learning challenges, anxiety, autism spectrum disorder and much more! The Exhibit Hall will feature vendors from Fairfax County Public Schools, government agencies and non-profit organizations. The conference is Saturday, April 9th from 8 am to 2:30 pm at Hayfield High School. (If you plan to attend this conference, please consider helping with Mulch Delivery on Friday evening, April 8th --We need your help!) Link to Informational flier
- Superintendent’s Listening Tour: Dr. Garza’s final listening tour stop in at Chantilly HS on Wednesday, April 13th at 6:30 pm. If you plan to attend, it is requested that you register at this link.
- Congratulations to the Winter Guard: The Winter Guard finished its season with a win at their regional competition last weekend! Congratulations also to Mr. Palmer, the Guard coach/instructor! He was inducted into the AIA (Atlantic Indoor Association) Hall of Fame!
- Congratulations to Chloe Hicks: Senior Chloe Hicks earned a spot at the Olympic Trials swim meet! She will swim the 200 Backstroke event!
- FCPS Summer Program Registration: Registration is open for some of the courses and programs offered by FCPS in the summer. For information, click here.
- Seniors: Want to wear that black cord at graduation? The Service Hours Record Sheet can be found here Mulch Day is a great way to earn service hours!
- PTSA Scholarship Applications: PTSA Scholarship applications are now available online through Family Connection or in Ms. Villars office. Applications are due by May 4th at 2:30 pm and all seniors are encouraged to apply. Please read the guidelines carefully.
- FCPS Crisis Text Line: The Crisis Text line is available on the FCPS Mobile App or by sending a text message to 85511 and enter the keyword NEEDHELP. This is a 24-hour resource to support anyone in need.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.