PTSA E-Tidbit News
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
10/29 – Practice SAT or ACT test
10/29 – BITS Tutoring – Free!
11/1 – Turbo-Tutoring SAT Prep Class
11/2 – Band Concert
11/4 – End of 1st Quarter/2 hour early dismissal
11/7 and 11/8 – Teacher Workdays/Student Holidays
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Practice SAT or ACT test: The PTSA and Kaplan are hosting a practice SAT or ACT test on Saturday, 10/29, starting at 8 am. Preregistered students - please remember to bring your $20. There are a limited number of test booklets for walk-in students, on a first come, first served basis. Scores are not reported to the College Board or ACT and are for the student’s use only. The fee is $20. We suggest you arrive early if you did not pre-register. Everyone - please remember a calculator, pencils, and a snack.
- Attention Senior Parents: The yearbook still has a few spaces remaining for senior ads! Please turn in your order form, payment, and pictures to Mrs. Naeve (E103) as soon as possible! The remaining spots will be filled on a first come, first served basis. The order form is attached at the bottom of this newsletter.
- Library Volunteers Needed: The WHS library seeks volunteers! Please email Mrs. Lesser at email@example.com and/or Mrs. Koenig at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions and to volunteer! Please include your availability when you send your message. Thanks!
- BITS Tutoring has returned! BITS tutoring for 2016-2017 has started! BITS runs up to 3 Saturday mornings per month. Student tutors are needed and earn service hours for their time! To be eligible for tutoring, students must attend Westfield or any of the schools that feed to Westfield (elementary and middle). For information and to see the required forms, click here Everyone must arrive on time. No late arrivals will be admitted.
- Reflections “What Is Your Story?”: This year’s Reflections theme is “What Is Your Story?” The submission deadline is Wednewsday, November 3rd! For directions and submission instructions, please click here
- Turbo-Tutoring is holding a SAT Prep class at Briar Woods High School on Tuesday, November 1st from 6:30-9:15 pm. For information or to register, visit here
- The FCPSMental Health and Wellness Conference will be held on Saturday, October 29, 2016, from 8:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at Fairfax High School. The keynote speaker will be Dena Simmons, Director of Implementation at the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence, and the featured speaker will be Dr. Gloria Addo-Ayensu, Fairfax County Director of Health. A wide variety of resource tables will be available to participants, as will be more than 50 breakout session options, including a special showing of the new documentary, Resilience: The Biology of Stress and the Science of Hope (http://kpjrfilms.co/resilience/). This documentary, directed by James Redford and premiered at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival, explores how adverse childhood experiences (ACE) can alter brain development and be predictive of future health issues. The documentary also features the work of pediatricians, therapists, educators, and community leaders engaged in a national movement to educate others on the importance of preventing childhood trauma and treating toxic stress as ways to improve the health of future generations. The conference event page can be accessed at: https://www.fcps.edu/event/mental-health-and-wellness-conference. Included on the event page is a link to register for the conference, and a link where visitors will find detailed information about sessions offered, as well as presenter information. This information will be updated regularly with additional information for participants.
- Congratulations to Art Teachers Ms. Florimonte and Ms. Pierce! Their art was selected for the FCPS Artist Teacher Exhibition at the Workhouse Arts Center in Lorton! Ms. Florimonte’s and Ms. Pierce’s work will be on display with other selected teacher pieces from November 12 – December 4. The center is located at 9601 Ox Road, Lorton.
- Screenagers Film Presentation: Everyone is invited to see Screenagers, a film about the effects of electronic devices on adults and children. The presentation will take place Wednesday, November 9th at 7 pm in the Virginia Run Elementary School Cafeteria, 15450 Martins Hundred Drive, Centreville. Tickets are $5 for adults and $1 for students. To register, please click here.
- News You Can Use: If you haven’t already done so, please consider registering to receive PTSA updates through the FCPS News You Can Use program. It’s a bit cumbersome to register but this is the main way the PTSA will be able to send messages (other than the eblasts and Facebook). To register: Go to FCPS.edu; Scroll to the bottom then click on the mustard yellow banner “Stay Updated with What’s Happening at FCPS with News You Can Choose; Click the “Sign Up Now box; Enter your email address and click “submit”; Find the button for “High Schools” and select “Westfield”; Choose first line “News and Announcements” then choose second line “PTSA” and click submit. You will see a green banner with a check mark and “Subscriptions Updated”. While in the system, you can opt for other areas of interest as well.
- After School Concessions Volunteers Still Needed: Are you looking for a regular (every-other week) volunteer spot? There are several openings for the after school concessions stand which runs from September through May! Please contact Amanda Bremer with questions or to volunteer.
- Sully District Bomb Squad Presentation: Are you curious about the police bomb squad? Come learn about the squad, how the K-9 team is trained, and more on Wednesday, November 9th from 7:30-9:00 pm. This is a family-friendly meeting and takes place at 4900 Stonecroft Blvd, Chantilly.
- Athletic Teams Calendar: To see the games/matches/meets for all WHS athletic teams, click here!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Silent Fundraisers: We participate in several store school support programs, such as Giant’s A+ School Rewards and Harris Teeter’s Together in Education program. You DO have to relink your Harris Teeter card each year but you do not have to relink your Giant card (but please check to ensure that you’ve designated Westfield!) Please check out this link for more information!
GOOD LUCK TO ALL FALL SPORTS TEAMS IN THE PLAYOFFS! Both boys and girls cross country teams qualified for the Regional Meet on 11/2! Good luck!
Congratulations Danielle Suh – State Champion for Girl’s Golf!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.