PTSA E-Tidbit News
11/14/16 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
11/15 – 1st Quarter Report Cards distributed
11/15 – Last day for online spirit wear orders
11/15 – Financial Aide Night at Herndon High School
11/17 – PTSA Meeting Cancelled
11/17 – Sophomore Night, 7 pm
11/18-20 – WHS Theatre Presents The Tempest
11/19 - BITS Tutoring
11/19 – College Access Fairfax Workshop, 9 am – 3 pm
11/21 – Westfield Cares Program – Volunteers needed (see below)
11/22 – Academic Letter Ceremony
11/23 – 2 Hour Early Dismissal
11/24-25 – Thanksgiving Holiday
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Report Cards Distributed 11/15 and Recognition at lunches: PTSA volunteers will be at all lunches on Tuesday, November 15th to recognize students who made the Honor Roll AND any student who earned an “A” during 1st quarter. Students should bring their report card to the PTSA table to enter the gift card drawings (one entry per “A” on the report card) and to pick up an Honor Roll magnet for those who earned a 3.3 GPA or higher for the quarter! Congratulations and keep up the good work!
- Kids in Crisis Gift Card Collection: It is the time of year when requests to help individual WHS students and families in need increase greatly. This program helps counselors give baskets at the holidays. If you are able, please consider donating a gift card or two. Please keep the balances on the cards to $25 or less from stores such as Wal-Mart, Shoppers, Giant, and Target. Many of our students do not have access to cars and walk to the closest stores. Please send any donation to the main office to the attention of Meg Crossett. Thank you for supporting the Westfield community.
- WeStep Community Sponsors Needed Please: Westfield High School is looking for business partnerships to participate in our WeStep Internship Program from Thursday, May 25th through Friday, June 9th. All interns meet high qualifications including a review of grades, attendance, and discipline records. You would have an intern for a minimum of 60 hours in your organization. We seek both paid and unpaid internships in a wide range of fields. The program was such a success last year that over 36 of our seniors were offered summer employment! Please contact Patricia Lee at email@example.com for additional information on the program and how we can help you find an intern(s). Your collaboration is an important phase of the education of our seniors and we look forward to working with you.
- Volunteers Needed Monday, November 21 to Escort Students participating in Westfield Cares: Volunteers are needed to walk with students from Westfield to the Westfield Marriott On Monday, November 21st. Six are needed for the morning walk (leave WHS at 8:45 am) and for the afternoon walk (leave the Marriott at 2:00 pm). Please email Ms. Bragg at firstname.lastname@example.org if you can help!
- Library Volunteers Needed: The WHS library seeks volunteers! Please email Mrs. Lesser at email@example.com and/or Mrs. Koenig at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions and to volunteer! Please include your availability when you send your message. Thanks!
- BITS Tutoring has returned! BITS tutoring for 2016-2017 has started! BITS runs up to 3 Saturday mornings per month. Student tutors are needed and earn service hours for their time! To be eligible for tutoring, students must attend Westfield or any of the schools that feed to Westfield (elementary and middle). For information and to see the required forms, click here Everyone must arrive on time. No late arrivals will be admitted.
- WHS Theatre presents The Tempest: The theatre department proudly presents The Tempest, Friday 11/18 and Saturday 11/19 at 7:30 pm and Sunday 11/20 at 2 pm! Advance purchase and student tickets are $10 and at the door, tickets are $12. Order online here
- Teachers/Staff: If you have joined the PTSA this year (thank you!) and have not yet received your PTSA ribbon outside your door, please email Kristi Finn at email@example.com. If you haven’t yet joined, it’s not too late!
- Online Spiritwear Orders: The athletic boosters online spirit wear shop is open through November 15th. Order by November 15th and items will be available for pick up December 14th, 15th, or 16th. See flier at bottom of eblast for ordering information.
- Academic Letter Ceremony: Students who finished the 2015-2016 school year with a 4.0 GPA or higher will be recognized at the Academic Letter Ceremony on Tuesday, November 22nd. Invitations for qualifying students were sent to the address on record. Congratulations to all who earned the Academic Letter!
- News You Can Use: If you haven’t already done so, please consider registering to receive PTSA updates through the FCPS News You Can Use program. It’s a bit cumbersome to register but this is the main way the PTSA will be able to send messages (other than the eblasts and Facebook). To register: Go to FCPS.edu; Scroll to the bottom then click on the mustard yellow banner “Stay Updated with What’s Happening at FCPS with News You Can Choose; Click the “Sign Up Now box; Enter your email address and click “submit”; Find the button for “High Schools” and select “Westfield”; Choose first line “News and Announcements” then choose second line “PTSA” and click submit. You will see a green banner with a check mark and “Subscriptions Updated”. While in the system, you can opt for other areas of interest as well.
- Financial Aide Night: Herndon High School is hosting a Financial Aide Night on Tuesday, November 15th at 7 pm in their Lecture Hall. If you missed the night at Westfield, here is another opportunity to hear valuable information as you plan for post-high school education expenses.
- College Access Fairfax Workshop: On Saturday, November 19th from 9 am to 3 pm at South Lakes High School, there will be a one-day workshop for seniors and their families. There will be a variety of information sessions and hands-on FAFSA assistance. For details and to register, visit here
- After School Concessions Volunteers Still Needed: Are you looking for a regular (every-other week) volunteer spot? There are several openings for the after school concessions stand which runs from September through May! Please contact Amanda Bremer with questions or to volunteer.
- Yearbook Orders: Save $10 by ordering a yearbook by December 31st! For details, visit here
- Athletic Teams Calendar: To see the games/matches/meets for all WHS athletic teams, click here!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Silent Fundraisers: We participate in several store school support programs, such as Giant’s A+ School Rewards and Harris Teeter’s Together in Education program. You DO have to relink your Harris Teeter card each year but you do not have to relink your Giant card (but please check to ensure that you’ve designated Westfield!) Please check out this link for more information!
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast? Send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.