PTSA E-Tidbit News
2/12/17 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
2/12 – Theatre’s “The Laramie Project” (Final performance today at 2 pm)
2/12 - ANGP Committee Meeting, 4 pm at Uptown Alley, Manassas
2/14 – Report cards distributed
2/14 – “A Day” Celebration during lunches-Volunteers needed
2/15 – Neil McNerney presentation of “The Teenage Brain”
2/15 – Senior WeStep applications due
2/16 – WHS Got Talent, 7 pm
2/18 – Sadie Hawkins Dance hosted by SGA
2/25 – Practice SAT/ACT
Here are several updates from around the school:
- 2nd Quarter “A Day” celebration is Tuesday, February 14th! Volunteers Needed! Report cards will be distributed this Tuesday and students are invited to participate in the “A Day” celebration during lunch. Students present 2nd quarter report cards to receive a raffle ticket for each “A” they earned during 2nd quarter. They then enter into a variety of available drawings. Also, students who qualify for one of the three Honor Rolls (3.3 GPA and higher for the quarter), may pick up an Honor Roll bumper sticker. Adult volunteers are needed please! To sign up, click here Thank you Andrea Jacobs and the PTSA’s A.C.E. Committee for running this event.
- Neil McNerney Presentation, February 15th at 7 pm: On Wednesday, February 15th, Neil McNerney, a well-regarded and respected counselor, author, and speaker, will present “The Teenage Brain – Temporary Insanity”. Please invite friends and neighbors! Visit Neil McNerney or see attached flier for more information.
- Practice SAT or ACT, February 25th: The PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a practice test on Saturday, February 25th. Students register to take a full-length test of either the SAT or the ACT. Scores are for student use only, and are not reported to the test companies. The cost is $20, with payment made to the PTSA. To register, click here or use the link at the bottom of this e-blast.
- 2017 Mulch Sale and Delivery: The annual mulch sale has begun! Delivery will take place on April 21st and 22nd. To order online, click here. To download the order form, click here. Bags are $5 each, with $2.60 of each bag ordered being tax deductible. The mulch spreading service is being sold and is available for customers who purchase mulch through the mulch sale. Both the mulch and the spreading service sell out each year. Order early – we are already 35% sold out! Free delivery is available for orders of 15 bags or more to WHS boundary addresses and parking lot pick up is available at Westfield for orders under 15 bags and those outside WHS boundaries.
- Please join the PTSA if you haven’t already: It’s not too late to join the PTSA! Please be part of the difference that the PTSA makes at Westfield! Join online here or print the attached form and send in to the main office.
- WHS Theatre Presents “The Laramie Project”: Come see some of Westfield’s amazing thespians perform their latest work! The final show runs February 12th at 2:00 pm. Tickets are $10 in advance and with a student ID and $12 at the door. For more information and to purchase tickets online, click here.
- WHS Got Talent: Come see the fantastically talented WHS students perform on Thursday, 2/16, at 7 pm. Tickets are $5 and are being sold during lunches and at the door.
- National History Day Fair: Congratulations to all who participated in the 2017 National History Day Fair! Thank you to all the volunteer judges and to the History teachers for mentoring students and running the event. The following students who earned 1st or 2nd place honors will advance to the district competition on March 4th! Historic paper category: Scott Shaffer and Jacob Fajer. Honorable mention: Nahyun Bae. Group website category: Caleb Darko, Kasidi Jordan, Suzi Lee and Ariba Nasir. Honorable mention: Caelyn Les and Anthony Repetti. Individual website category: Claudia Flores and Nicholas Lin. Honorable mention: Jesus Neyra. Group exhibit category: Suhail Elvil, Ross Cole, Navdeep Khangura & James Jang, Sydney Loper, Emma Muscar and Ally Richard. Honorable mention: Corrinne Bergman, Payton Moore & Wanna Wardak. Individual exhibit category: Kameryn Shamblee and Loren Parra. Honorable mention: Tanner Koons. Group documentary category: Lexi Tanner, Rayyan Osman and Zehra Siddiqui. Honorable Mention: Kyrstal Anderson and Daisy Lopez. Individual Documentary category: Amtul Muqeet and Caitlin Macler. Honorable mention: Sam Schlatter. Individual Performance category: Martin Bernier.
- BITS Tutoring - Free! BITS runs up to 3 Saturday mornings per month. Student tutors are needed and earn service hours for their time! To be eligible for tutoring, students must attend Westfield or any of the schools that feed to Westfield (elementary and middle). For information and to see the required forms, click here Everyone must arrive on time. No late arrivals will be admitted. February 18th is the next BITS tutoring date.
- Turbo-Tutoring: March 8th is the next SAT prep class, plus classes through the summer have been scheduled. To see the calendar and to register for a one-day seminar for SAT or ACT prep, click here or see the flier attached at the bottom of the e-blast.
- Chorus’s Applebee’s Flapjack Fundraiser: Chorus will be hosting a pancake fundraiser on Saturday, February 25th from 8 am to 10 am. $10 at the door includes pancakes, eggs, sausage, and a beverage. This will be at the Applebee’s in Westone Plaza, Chantilly (down the street from WHS). Everyone welcome!
- Bingo Night: Mark your calendar! The WHS Band will be hosting a Bingo night on Friday, February 24th in the cafeteria! More information to follow.
- New for the 2017-2018 school year: WHS will be offering a new science course-Genetics and Biotechnology available for juniors and seniors! Please have your student talk to his/her counselor soon for more information and to sign up!
- Understanding Financial Aid Award Letters: On March 11th from 9-11 am at Oakton High School, College Access Fairfax will present “Make a Wise Decision: Understanding Financial Aid Award Letters”. Space is limited. To register, visit here.
- 2017 ASBC HBCU College Festival: Students and parents are all invited to attend the Alfred Street Baptist Church 15th Annual Historically Black Colleges and Universities College Festival. This year’s event will be held at TC Williams High School 3330 King Street Alexandria, VA 22302 on Saturday, February 18, 2017 doors open at 9:00 am. Over 70 colleges and universities will be in attendance. Some schools will conduct on site admissions and provide fee waivers. There will be seminars for parents and students. Visit the website for more information and to register for seminars: http://www.alfredstreet.org/ministries/outreach-and-missions/hbcu-festival/ . It’s free!
- Senior Parent Meeting: Senior Parents – please mark your calendars for the “70 Days Until Graduation” Senior Parent meeting on April 6th at 7 pm. Come learn about everything related to graduation (June 15th at 7:30 pm), including ticket information (yes, tickets are required), rehearsal information (required for all students who will be graduating), prom information (May 13th), Mulch Day (April 21-22), All Night Grad Celebration, and much more!
- Westfields Triathlon: The Westfield Business Owner’s Association is sponsoring the 5th annual Westfields Triathlon on April 30th! The WBOA is a fantastic business partner for our school! Please consider supporting the triathlon as a participant or volunteer! For information, click here.
- College Partnership Program: Applications for the College Partnership Program are being accepted now. The College Partnerships Program assists students who are traditionally underrepresented in higher education such as first generation, African American, American Indian, Alaskan native, Hispanic, limited English proficient, students with disabilities or economically disadvantaged students. See Mrs. Campbell, Maggie Craig, or Bobby Snyder, CPP advocates, for more information or to request an application. Or, visit here. Applications accepted January 18 – March 31, 2017.
- FCPS Parent Resource Center: There are many resources available at the FCPS Parent Resource center. For information and to register for classes, visit here. On February 16th, there is a class about technology available to help students stay organized.
- FCPS Summer Classes: Information regarding a wide variety of summer classes through FCPS is available here. Many registration windows opened February 1st.
- News You Can Use: If you haven’t already done so, please consider registering to receive PTSA updates through the FCPS News You Can Use program. It’s a bit cumbersome to register but this is the main way the PTSA will be able to send messages (other than the eblasts and Facebook). To register: Go to FCPS.edu; Scroll to the bottom then click on the mustard yellow banner “Stay Updated with What’s Happening at FCPS with News You Can Choose; Click the “Sign Up Now box; Enter your email address and click “submit”; Find the button for “High Schools” and select “Westfield”; Choose first line “News and Announcements” then choose second line “PTSA” and click submit. You will see a green banner with a check mark and “Subscriptions Updated”. While in the system, you can opt for other areas of interest as well.
- Athletic Teams Calendar: To see the games/matches/meets for all WHS athletic teams, click here!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Silent Fundraisers: We participate in several store school support programs, such as Giant’s A+ School Rewards and Harris Teeter’s Together in Education program. You DO have to relink your Harris Teeter card each year but you do not have to relink your Giant card (but please check to ensure that you’ve designated Westfield!) Please check out this link for more information!
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast? Send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations to the Girl’s JV Basketball Team – Conference Champions!
Good luck to swimmers going to the state meet this Friday!
Good luck to the Indoor Track athletes competing at the regional meet on Wednesday!
Congratulations to the girl’s swimming 200 Freestyle Relay! They set a new school record at the Conference Meet. Congratulations to Sarah Boyle, Allison Hickey, Didi Pace, and Katie Sanfield!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.