PTSA E-Tidbit News
3/27/17 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
3/27 – Boys lax fundraiser at Jersey Mikes (Westone location), all day
3/29 – ANGP Committee Meeting, 7 pm
4/1 – Free BITS Tutoring, 9:30 am
4/3 – WHS Jazz Ensemble performance at GMU, 8 pm
4/5 – Turbo Tutoring ACT Class, 6:30 pm
4/6 – Senior Parent Meeting, 7 pm
4/7 – End of 3rd quarter; 2 hour early dismissal
Here are several updates from around the school:
- 2017 Mulch Sale and Delivery: The annual mulch sale has only about 75 bags left to sell! Delivery will take place on April 21st and 22nd. To order online, click here. To download the order form, click here. Bags are $5 each, with $2.60 of each bag ordered being tax deductible. The mulch spreading service is being sold and is available for customers who purchase mulch through the mulch sale. Free delivery is available for orders of 15 bags or more to WHS boundary addresses and parking lot pick up is available at Westfield for orders under 15 bags and those outside WHS boundaries.
- VOLUNTEERS for Mulch Weekend needed please: It takes many hands to deliver the 13,000 bags of mulch ordered by our community! Students and adults are needed! Adults do not have to lift mulch bags (unless they want to)! There are great prizes plus volunteers are fed during their shift(s)! Come join in on the fun – sign up with friends and enjoy the day while helping in this Westfield tradition! Please visit here to register! The link to food donations is also open. Students - register here Parents/Guardians - sign up here Food donations - sign up here!
- Donations for ANGP Prizes requested: Plans are currently being made for the All Night Graduation Party for our seniors. It is set to be one of the best ANGP’s yet! One part of this fun evening is when students win door prizes -anything from gift cards to haircuts/nail services to college spirit wear to college dorm or apartment essentials – anything a graduating senior might enjoy. If you own a business, know someone who owns a business, or would just like to make a donation to the door prizes, please contact Cathy Roberson at 703-725-9341 or email@example.com. Any and all items are appreciated!
- WHS Blood Drive: WHS is hosting an INOVA Blood Drive on April 4th and 5th. Students and faculty are encouraged to donate. Parent volunteers are needed on to hand out registration paperwork and on April 4th and 5th to help with registration and the canteen. To sign up, please click here.
- 2017-2018 PTSA Openings: The PTSA seeks volunteers for several openings for next year. The openings are: 1st Vice President (supports the President and learns the role, with the anticipation of becoming the future President), Secretary, Membership, Directory, and Fundraising (Ways and Means). If you are interested or have questions, please contact Tricia Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org
- ANGP Committee Meeting: Wednesday, March 29th at 7 pm. For location, check signs that will be posted at door 1 or 11. Questions? Contact Chairperson Shashana Courtney at email@example.com.
- WHS Jazz Ensemble performs at GMU, Monday 4/3 at 8 pm: Join the Mason Jazz Ensemble, Blues Alley Youth Orchestra, National Jazz Workshop All-Stars, and Westfield’s own Jazz Ensemble at the Big Band Showdown. For information and tickets, click here
- Senior Parent Meeting: Senior Parents – please mark your calendars for the “70 Days Until Graduation” Senior Parent meeting on April 6th at 7 pm. Come learn about everything related to graduation (June 15th at 7:30 pm), including ticket information (tickets are required), rehearsal information (required for all students who will be graduating), prom information (May 13th), Mulch Day (April 21-22), All Night Grad Celebration, and much more!
- All Night Grad Celebration – June 15th: Please watch here for details about the 2017 ANPG! The event will take place at both the Uptown Alley and Autobahn in Manassas! Great prizes, lots of fun things to do – including unlimited video games, a DJ, bowling, the autobahn, and more! Details to follow soon and ticket sales begin in early April!
- Please join the PTSA if you haven’t already: It’s not too late to join the PTSA! Please be part of the difference that the PTSA makes at Westfield! Join online here or using the link online, print the form and send in to the main office. Your participation matters! Students and staff members – only $5 to join! Others – only $10! If you receive and appreciate these weekly eblasts, we hope you are a member and if you are not, ask that you please join.
- Dr. Copeland met families in Herndon: Thank you to the families who attended this event last week and thank you to Tanya Easley for organizing the gathering.
- BITS Tutoring - Free! BITS runs up to 3 Saturday mornings per month. Student tutors are needed and earn service hours for their time! To be eligible for tutoring, students must attend Westfield or any of the schools that feed to Westfield (elementary and middle). For information and to see the required forms, click here Everyone must arrive on time. No late arrivals will be admitted. April 1st is the next BITS tutoring date.
- Special Education Conference: On Saturday, April 1st from 8 am to 3 pm at Hayfield Secondary School, FCPS is hosting a Special Education conference. The conference, designed for parents and educators or students who receive special education services or have learning challenges or special needs, will feature Nancy Mather, Ph.D., professor of special education at the University of Arizona, as keynote speaker. She will address issues affecting the identification of students who struggle with reading and appropriate interventions. For more information, click here.
- Turbo-Tutoring: Next ACT prep class is this Wednesday, April 5th from 6:30 pm-9:15 pm at Westfield, plus classes through the summer have been scheduled. To see the calendar and to register for a one-day seminar for SAT or ACT prep, click here or see the flier attached at the bottom of the e-blast.
- FCCPTA Scholarship deadline is April 7th: For information, click here.
- Senior Families: Mark your calendars! Baccalaureate for the Class of 2017 will be held June 11th from 5-6 pm.
- 3rd Annual Share Your Hair event: On May 22nd from 3-5 pm, WHS will take part in the third annual Share Your Hair event. Students and faculty are invited to donate at least 8 inches of hair to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program, which makes real hair wigs for women battling cancer. Please see Ms. Sweitzer in R115 or contact Allie Bush at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to pick up registration forms.
- FCPS 2017-2018 Calendar: You can see next year’s school calendar here. Remember, school starts August 28th!
- Westfields Triathlon: The Westfield Business Owner’s Association is sponsoring the 5th annual Westfields Triathlon on April 30th! The WBOA is a fantastic business partner for our school! Please consider supporting the triathlon as a participant or volunteer! For information, click here.
- Bouveron/Greiner 5K Run: The SGA is hosting the 2nd annual event on Saturday, May 20th in memory and honor of two special WHS family members. For information and to register, click here.
- Post-Secondary Options for Students with IEPs: On April 18th, there will be a workshop for parents and students regarding options for IEP students following graduation. For information and to register, click here.
- College Partnership Program: Applications for the College Partnership Program are being accepted now. The College Partnerships Program assists students who are traditionally underrepresented in higher education such as first generation, African American, American Indian, Alaskan native, Hispanic, limited English proficient, students with disabilities or economically disadvantaged students. See Mrs. Campbell, Maggie Craig, or Bobby Snyder, CPP advocates, for more information or to request an application. Or, visit here. Applications accepted January 18 – March 31, 2017.
- FCPS Parent Resource Center: There are many resources available at the FCPS Parent Resource center. For information and to register for classes, visit here.
- FCPS Summer Classes: Information regarding a wide variety of summer classes through FCPS is available here. Many registration windows opened February 1st.
- News You Can Use: If you haven’t already done so, please register to receive PTSA updates through the FCPS News You Can Use program. It’s a bit cumbersome to register but soon, this will be the way the PTSA will send messages. To register: Go to FCPS.edu; Scroll to the bottom then click on the mustard yellow banner “Stay Updated with What’s Happening at FCPS with News You Can Choose; Click the “Sign Up Now box; Enter your email address and click “submit”; Find the button for “High Schools” and select “Westfield”; Choose first line “News and Announcements” then choose second line “PTSA” and click submit. You will see a green banner with a check mark and “Subscriptions Updated”. While in the system, you can opt for other areas of interest as well.
- Athletic Teams Calendar: To see the games/matches/meets for all WHS athletic teams, click here!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Silent Fundraisers: We participate in several store school support programs, such as Giant’s A+ School Rewards and Harris Teeter’s Together in Education program. You DO have to relink your Harris Teeter card each year but you do not have to relink your Giant card (but please check to ensure that you’ve designated Westfield!) Please check out this link for more information!
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast? Send a request to email@example.com
Congratulations to the WHS Jazz Ensemble which finished 2nd at the Chantilly Invitational Jazz Festival!
Congratulations to Andrew Gantzler who was recognized as the Outstanding Rhythm Section Musician for the event!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.