PTSA E-Tidbit News
4/24/17 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
4/25 – “A” Day Celebration, Lunches
4/26 – Track dinner fundraiser at Chipotle, 5-8 pm
4/28 – Rising Freshman Parent Coffee, 8:45 am
4/28-4/30 – Legally Blonde
4/29 – BITS Tutoring (free), 9:30 am
4/29 – Clean out your medicine cabinet day, 8 am-2 pm
Here are several updates from around the school:
- 2017-2018 PTSA Openings: Many of the current volunteers’ students are graduating and new volunteers are needed for the following positions for next year. They are: 1st Vice President (supports the President and learns the role, with the anticipation of becoming the future President), Secretary, Membership, Directory, Publicity, Communications, and Fundraising (Ways and Means-but not the mulch sale). If you are interested or have questions, please contact Tricia Monroe at email@example.com Please help make a positive impact on all Westfield students, staff, and families!
- “A” Day Celebration: Third quarter report cards will be distributed Tuesday, April 25th, during Bulldog Block. Please remind your students to take their report cards to lunch to enter into the drawings for awesome prizes! For every “A” they earned during 3rd quarter, they receive one ticket and can enter into drawings for: lunch with Dr. Copeland and gift cards from Sunoco, Starbucks, Chick-fil-A, Game Stop, and Chipotle!
- Rising Freshman Parent Coffee, April 28th: Please help spread the word to all parents/guardians of rising freshmen! There will be an informational meeting in the Lecture Hall this Friday from 8:45 am to 9:45 am. Topics of discussion include middle school vs high school, the importance of getting involved (parents and students!), course selection, transcripts, summer information, upcoming important dates, and there will be a question/answer panel with current students.
- Mulch Weekend Volunteers “Thank You”!: Students, staff, and parents who volunteered at this weekend’s mulch event - We cannot thank you enough for volunteering your time this weekend to make Mulch Day a success! We had some tough conditions on Saturday, no doubt, but we all worked together to deliver 13,320 bags by mid-afternoon. This was really an amazing team effort and we are grateful for your time, energy, muscle, humor, food donations, and willingness to help! Hundreds of you braved the elements, lifted the 50 pound bags (maybe more as they got wet!), and more! Many of you answered Dr. Copeland's call out for last minute help to finish delivering those last few loads! We heard great stories about many of our student volunteers--you really impressed a lot of the adults you interacted with! We would also like to thank the mulch committee members who worked tirelessly to organize the event. A huge thanks to Mindy Conway who chaired the event! Thanks also to the mulch committee: Jennifer Campbell (team incentive program), Ron Cambpell (scouts and trucks), Veronica Delaney (public relations), Karen Duncan (mulch yard), Becky Free (volunteers), Joe Glowacki (trucks), Julie Glowacki (volunteers/business donors), Lisa Hart (feeding volunteers), Lisa Lattomus (volunteers/routes), Debbie Leo (public relations), Ambrose Lewis (website), Bob Monroe (trucks), Tricia Monroe (PTSA President), Cathy Pisarcik (sales/routes), John Sodomka (volunteer hours tracking), Ron Campbell (scouts/trucks), Stephanie Somers (prizes), and Annie Walter (volunteers) and we appreciate all the support from the staff at Westfield, without whom this even would not have happened! Finally, a big thank you to our donors and sponsors! Please remember these companies and groups and consider supporting them, just as they support Westfield!
- Prom Volunteers Needed – Ticket Sales and Prom Night: Adult volunteers are needed to help sell Prom tickets during lunches from May 8th – 12th and also at check-in and possibly other areas at the Prom on May 13th! To sign up, please click here.
- ANGP Tickets are on sale now! Class of 2017 All Night Grad Celebration tickets are now on sale. They are currently $60 each. This year’s event begins at Westfield for check-in and then students will be bused to Uptown Alley and Autobahn where they will spend the evening bowling in the black-light alley, playing laser tag, driving the autobahn speedway, playing unlimited arcade games, dancing to a fabulous DJ, playing pool, eating, and having chances to win fantastic prizes! Order online, download the ticket form and send it to the main office, or pick up a form in the main office. Remember to also complete the risk forms that are found online or attached to this email. Every attendee must have completed permission forms. Don’t miss the fun!
- Donations for ANGP Prizes requested: Plans are currently being made for the All Night Graduation Party for our seniors. It is set to be one of the best ANGP’s yet! One part of this fun evening is when students win door prizes -anything from gift cards to haircuts/nail services to college spirit wear to college dorm or apartment essentials – anything a graduating senior might enjoy. If you own a business, know someone who owns a business, or would just like to make a donation to the door prizes, please contact Cathy Roberson at 703-725-9341 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Any and all items are appreciated!
- PTSA Scholarship Applications: The PTSA Scholarship and PTSA Special Education scholarship applications are now available! The deadline to submit an application is Wednesday, May 3rd. Applications are attached to the bottom of the message and will be available in the Career Center as well. Questions? Contact Andrea Jacobs at email@example.com
- BITS Tutoring - Free! BITS runs up to 3 Saturday mornings per month. Student tutors are needed and earn service hours for their time! To be eligible for tutoring, students must attend Westfield or any of the schools that feed to Westfield (elementary and middle). For information and to see the required forms, click here Everyone must arrive on time. No late arrivals will be admitted. April 29th are the next BITS tutoring dates.
- WHS Theatre presents “Legally Blonde”: Westfield High School Theatre Presents "Legally Blonde" on Friday and Saturday, April 28-29 at 7:30 pm; Sunday, April 30 at 2 pm; Friday and Saturday, May 5-6 at 7:30 pm. Tickets are $10 in advance online and with a valid student ID; $12 at the door. For more information and to purchase tickets visit our website: www.westfieldtheatre.com
- National Latin Exam Honors: Congratulations to the following students who earned honors after taking the National Latin Exam! Over 150,000 students in the U.S. and 16 foreign countries took the exam. WHS students earned 12 awards! Silver medalists: Aislin Carpenter, Mason Joiner, Zeena Joseph, and Mansana Pentala! Bronze medalists: Ben Afferton, John Duran, Patrick Kilgannon, and Tyler Silva! High honors: Colin Brown, Shreya Damidi, Nate Jun, and Mandy Wolfe! Congratulations!
- Westfields Triathlon: The Westfield Business Owner’s Association is sponsoring the 5th annual Westfields Triathlon on April 30th! The WBOA is a fantastic business partner for our school! Please consider supporting the triathlon as a participant or volunteer! For information, click here.
- Turbo-Tutoring: The next SAT prep class is Wednesday, May 3rd from 6:30 pm-9:15 pm at Briar Woods HS, plus classes through the summer have been scheduled. To see the calendar and to register for a one-day seminar for SAT or ACT prep, click here or see the flier attached at the bottom of the e-blast.
- Custom Phone Cases fundraiser: The WHS student activities office is selling customer Westfield phone cases through April 26th, with delivery the week of May 17th. To order, click here
- Track Chipotle Fundraiser: There will be a dinner fundraiser at the Westfield Blvd. Chipotle to support the Track team on Wednesday, April 26th from 5-8 pm!
- Color Guard Spring Clinics: Westfield Color Guard spring clinics are open to all Westfield students, including incoming freshmen! They begin May 9th in WHS in the cafeteria from 6:00-8:30 pm. Clinics will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays through May 25th. Please wear comfortable clothes you can easily move in (athletic shorts and t-shirt) and bring/wear athletic shoes (you may go outside). Bring a friend!! Come be part of this award winning program that combines artistic expression, athleticism, and grace!
- Clean Out Your Medicine Cabinet Day: On Saturday, April 29th from 8 am to 2 pm, the Sully District Station and DEA will collect any unused and unwanted prescription drugs. Bring the pills or patches for disposal to 4900 Stonecroft Blvd. Liquids, needles, and “sharps” cannot be accepted. This is free and anonymous, with no questions asked.
- No more checks at WHS does not apply to the PTSA: You may have heard that Westfield HS will no longer accept checks as a method of payment after May 1st. This does not apply to anything related to the PTSA – including ANGP tickets. It does apply to prom tickets, fees/fines, and any other money owed to the school.
- Have you ordered a yearbook yet? The cost for the 2016-2017 WHS Yearbook is $80 and will increase to $85, cash only, on May 7th! If paying by credit card, go to yearbookordercenter.comand use order number 5577.
- Senior Families: Mark your calendars! Baccalaureate for the Class of 2017 will be held June 11th from 5-6 pm.
- 3rd Annual Share Your Hair event: On May 22nd from 3-5 pm, WHS will take part in the third annual Share Your Hair event. Students and faculty are invited to donate at least 8 inches of hair to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program, which makes real hair wigs for women battling cancer. Please see Ms. Sweitzer in R115 or contact Allie Bush at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to pick up registration forms.
- Bouveron/Greiner 5K Run: The SGA is hosting the 2nd annual event on Saturday, May 20th in memory and honor of two special WHS family members. For information and to register, click here.
- Summer Math Refresher Camp: The math refresher camp will run August 7th-11th from 9-11:30 am and is a summer program designed to prepare students for their fall math class - Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, or Pre-Calculus. The camp is FREE for all Westfield students! Registration is required and the firm deadline to register is July 7th. To register, complete the attached registration form and submit it electronically to Ms. Sweitzer at email@example.com
- FCPS 2017-2018 Calendar: You can see next year’s school calendar here. Remember, school starts August 28th!
- Athletic Boosters Concessions Sign-Ups: Volunteers are needed to help cover the concessions stand during spring sports. To sign up, click here
- mySATadvisor.com: An option for SAT prep is mySATadvisor.com Online, unlimited practice and analytics on College Board tests and other popular test publishers. Improve speed and accuracy, practice missed or bookmarked questions, and more. Use promo code WHSPTSA20 for a 20% discount.
- FCPS Parent Resource Center: There are many resources available at the FCPS Parent Resource center. For information and to register for classes, visit here.
- News You Can Use: If you haven’t already done so, please register to receive PTSA updates through the FCPS News You Can Use program. It’s a bit cumbersome to register but soon, this will be the way the PTSA will send messages. To register: Go to FCPS.edu; Scroll to the bottom then click on the mustard yellow banner “Stay Updated with What’s Happening at FCPS with News You Can Choose; Click the “Sign Up Now box; Enter your email address and click “submit”; Find the button for “High Schools” and select “Westfield”; Choose first line “News and Announcements” then choose second line “PTSA” and click submit. You will see a green banner with a check mark and “Subscriptions Updated”. While in the system, you can opt for other areas of interest as well.
- Athletic Teams Calendar: To see the games/matches/meets for all WHS athletic teams, click here!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Silent Fundraisers: We participate in several store school support programs, such as Giant’s A+ School Rewards and Harris Teeter’s Together in Education program. You DO have to relink your Harris Teeter card each year but you do not have to relink your Giant card (but please check to ensure that you’ve designated Westfield!) Please check out this link for more information!
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast? Send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.