PTSA E-Tidbit News
4/30/17 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
4/30 – Legally Blonde, 2 pm
5/1-5/1 – Teacher Appreciation Week
5/1 – ANGP Committee meeting, 7 pm
5/1 – AP Exams begin (see #13 below for info)
5/2 – Partners for Safe Teen Driving, arrive before 7 pm
5/3 – Deadline to submit PTSA Scholarship Applications
5/5 – Teacher Appreciation Dessert Bar – Donations Needed please
5/5-5/6 – Legally Blonde, 7:30 pm
5/6 – Last day to order yearbooks online (see #7 below)
Here are several updates from around the school:
- 2017-2018 PTSA Openings: Many of the current volunteers’ students are graduating and new volunteers are needed for the following positions for next year. They are: 1st Vice President (supports the President and learns the role, with the anticipation of becoming the future President), Secretary, Membership, Directory, Publicity, and Fundraising (Ways and Means-but not the mulch sale). If you are interested or have questions, please contact Tricia Monroe at email@example.com Please help make a positive impact on all Westfield students, staff, and families!
- Teacher Appreciation Week and Dessert Bar Donations Requested Please: May 1st-5th is Teacher Appreciation Week! Please encourage your students to thank their teachers! The PTSA is sponsoring a Dessert Bar on Friday, May 5th and seeks donations please. If you can help, please sign up here!
- “A” Day Celebration Thank you: Congratulations to the students who won gift cards at the 3rd quarter “A” Day Celebration! Thank you to Kristi Finn, Andrea Jacobs, and Tricia Monroe for organizing and thank you to the awesome parent volunteers who distributed over 1,800 raffle tickets!
- Prom Volunteers Needed – Ticket Sales and Prom Night: Adult volunteers are needed to help sell Prom tickets during lunches from May 8th – 12th and also at check-in and possibly other areas at the Prom on May 13th! To sign up, please click here.
- ANGP Tickets are on sale now! Class of 2017 All Night Grad Celebration tickets are now on sale. They are currently $60 each. This year’s event begins at Westfield for check-in and then students will be bused to Uptown Alley and Autobahn where they will spend the evening bowling in the black-light alley, playing laser tag, driving the autobahn speedway, playing unlimited arcade games, dancing to a fabulous DJ, playing pool, eating, and having chances to win fantastic prizes! Order online, download the ticket form and send it to the main office, or pick up a form in the main office. Remember to also complete the risk forms that are found online or attached to this email. Every attendee must have completed permission forms and a parent/guardian must sign, even if the student is 18 years old. Don’t miss the fun! Not sure if you’ve ordered already or want to see who’s signed up, click here
- PTSA Scholarship Applications: The PTSA Scholarship and PTSA Special Education scholarship applications are now available! The deadline to submit an application is Wednesday, May 3rd. Applications are attached to the bottom of the message and will be available in the Career Center as well. Questions? Contact Andrea Jacobs at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have you ordered a yearbook yet? The cost for the 2016-2017 WHS Yearbook is $80 and will increase to $85, cash only, on May 7th! If paying by credit card, go to yearbookordercenter.comand use order number 5577. To pay by cash or check, use the attached order form and mail directly to Herff Jones or return to Ms. Naeve at Westfield.
- Partners for Safe Teen Driving: On Tuesday, May 2nd, the final PSTD seminar at Westfield for this school year begins promptly at 7 pm. Doors will be shut at 7 and no late arrivals will be allowed to enter. For information, click here.
- Mulch Weekend “Thank Yous” Continued: A number of Westfield staff members and coaches helped make mulch day a success and we’d like to thank them! They are: Alex Callas (football), Jennifer Campbell (student services), Tracy Castleberry (tennis), Copeland, Barb Donohue (front office), Troy Eberhardt (softball), Kiernan Hahne (teacher), Patty Kirschner (front office), Amy Koenig (library), Joann Lesser (library), Kevin Mahan (security) and the security team, Patty Marvin (front office), Sherryl Salzman (activities office), Jamie Sheperd (activities office/basketball), Jon Shields (football/teacher), Keith Sholders (wrestling/teacher), Kyle Simmons (football/teacher), Terri Towle (DSA), Harry Van Trees (Sub School 1 AP), the entire Custodial staff, and the Tech Office (announcements). If we left someone off by mistake, please know that we thank you and that your time and willingness to help is very much appreciated!
- BITS Tutoring - Free! BITS runs up to 3 Saturday mornings per month. Student tutors are needed and earn service hours for their time! To be eligible for tutoring, students must attend Westfield or any of the schools that feed to Westfield (elementary and middle). For information and to see the required forms, click here Everyone must arrive on time. No late arrivals will be admitted. May 6th and 13th are the next BITS tutoring dates.
- WHS Theatre presents Legally Blonde: Westfield High School Theatre Presents Legally Blonde on Sunday, April 30 at 2 pm; Friday and Saturday, May 5-6 at 7:30 pm. Tickets are $10 in advance online and with a valid student ID; $12 at the door. For more information and to purchase tickets visit our website: www.westfieldtheatre.com
- Color Guard Spring Clinics: Westfield Color Guard spring clinics are open to all Westfield students, including incoming freshmen! They begin May 9th in WHS in the cafeteria from 6:00-8:30 pm. Clinics will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays through May 25th. Please wear comfortable clothes you can easily move in (athletic shorts and t-shirt) and bring/wear athletic shoes (you may go outside). Bring a friend!! Come be part of this award winning program that combines artistic expression, athleticism, and grace!
- AP Exams: Is your student taking AP exams? Please remind them of what can and cannot be brought to the exam and remind them that they must be on time. If they arrive late, they will not be able to test. They should bring their AP booklet, sharpened #2 pencils, black or dark blue ball point pens, approved calculator with extra batteries (if applicable), ruler/straight edge (if applicable – no protractors), ID, watch (that does not make any noise), and water/snack (for breaks). They may not bring phones or any electronic device into the testing room (no watches, Fitbits, etc. that can connect to the internet). Layers are recommended, as the room temperatures may fluctuate.
- Donations for ANGP Prizes requested: Plans are currently being made for the All Night Graduation Party for our seniors. It is set to be one of the best ANGP’s yet! One part of this fun evening is when students win door prizes -anything from gift cards to haircuts/nail services to college spirit wear to college dorm or apartment essentials – anything a graduating senior might enjoy. If you own a business, know someone who owns a business, or would just like to make a donation to the door prizes, please contact Cathy Roberson at 703-725-9341 or email@example.com. Any and all items are appreciated!
- No more checks at WHS does not apply to the PTSA: You may have heard that Westfield HS has stopped accepting checks as a method of payment for the remainder of the school year. This does not apply to anything related to the PTSA – including ANGP tickets. It does apply to prom tickets, fees/fines, and any other money owed to the school.
- 3rd Annual Share Your Hair event: On May 22nd from 3-5 pm, WHS will take part in the third annual Share Your Hair event. Students and faculty are invited to donate at least 8 inches of hair to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program, which makes real hair wigs for women battling cancer. Please see Ms. Sweitzer in R115 or contact Allie Bush at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or to pick up registration forms.
- Bouveron/Greiner 5K Run: The SGA is hosting the 2nd annual event on Saturday, May 20th in memory and honor of two special WHS family members. For information and to register, click here.
- Summer Math Refresher Camp: The math refresher camp will run August 7th-11th from 9-11:30 am and is a summer program designed to prepare students for their fall math class - Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, or Pre-Calculus. The camp is FREE for all Westfield students! Registration is required and the firm deadline to register is July 7th. To register, complete the attached registration form and submit it electronically to Ms. Sweitzer at email@example.com
- “Celebrate Calm” presentation by Kirk Martin: On May 5th, from 10 am to noon at the FCPS Parent Resource Center, Kirk Martin will talk about stopping power struggles with your children. Mr. Martin spoke at Westfield a few years ago and was well-received. For more information and to register, click here.
- Turbo-Tutoring: The May 3rd SAT Prep class is full. To see the calendar and to register for a one-day seminar for SAT or ACT prep, click here or see the flier attached at the bottom of the e-blast.
- Senior Families: Mark your calendars! Baccalaureate for the Class of 2017 will be held June 11th from 5-6 pm.
- Mulch Weekend Business “Thank Yous”: We would like to give a big thank you to our donors and sponsors! Please remember these companies and groups and consider supporting them, just as they support Westfield!
23. FCPS 2017-2018 Calendar: You can see next year’s school calendar here. Remember, school starts August 28th
24. mySATadvisor.com: An option for SAT prep is mySATadvisor.com Online, unlimited practice and analytics on College Board tests and other popular test publishers. Improve speed and accuracy, practice missed or bookmarked questions, and more. Use promo code WHSPTSA20 for a 20% discount.
25. FCPS Parent Resource Center: There are many resources available at the FCPS Parent Resource center. For information and to register for classes, visit here.
26. News You Can Use: If you haven’t already done so, please register to receive PTSA updates through the FCPS News You Can Use program. It’s a bit cumbersome to register but soon, this will be the way the PTSA will send messages. To register: Go to FCPS.edu; Scroll to the bottom then click on the mustard yellow banner “Stay Updated with What’s Happening at FCPS with News You Can Choose; Click the “Sign Up Now box; Enter your email address and click “submit”; Find the button for “High Schools” and select “Westfield”; Choose first line “News and Announcements” then choose second line “PTSA” and click submit. You will see a green banner with a check mark and “Subscriptions Updated”. While in the system, you can opt for other areas of interest as well.
27. Athletic Teams Calendar: To see the games/matches/meets for all WHS athletic teams, click here!
28. Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
29. Silent Fundraisers: We participate in several store school support programs, such as Giant’s A+ School Rewards and Harris Teeter’s Together in Education program. You DO have to relink your Harris Teeter card each year but you do not have to relink your Giant card (but please check to ensure that you’ve designated Westfield!) Please check out this link for more information!
30. Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast? Send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
CONGRATULATIONS to Casey Buckley!
Casey is representing Westfield at the DECA Nationals conference in Anaheim, California, this weekend! Casey’s entry into the Marketing Communications category qualified for him to compete in the finals yesterday – top 20 out of 300 entrants! Final results will be announced today.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.