PTSA E-Tidbit News
5/16/17 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
5/17 – Blood Drive in honor of Stone MS’s Ms. Nidz and Ms. Wigle (see #9)
5/18 – PTSA Meeting, 7 pm
5/22 – “Share Your Hair”, 3 pm (see #14)
Here are several updates from around the school:
- 2017-2018 PTSA Openings: Many of the current volunteers’ students are graduating and new volunteers are needed for the following positions for next year. They open positions are: Secretary, Publicity, Silent Auction Chair (new addition - needed as soon as possible), and Fundraising (Ways and Means-but not the mulch sale). If you are interested or have questions, please contact Tricia Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org Please help make a positive impact on all Westfield students, staff, and families!
- PTSA Meeting, May 18th: Please mark your calendar and join us for a meeting on Thursday, May 18th at 7 pm. This is a great time to learn more about the open positions and help with planning for the PTSA sponsored events for the 2017-2018 school year!
- ANGP Tickets are on sale now! Class of 2017 All Night Grad Celebration tickets are now on sale. They are currently $60 each. The price goes up to $70 on June 1st and the deadline to buy tickets is June 7th. This year’s event begins at Westfield for check-in and then students will be bused to Uptown Alley and Autobahn where they will spend the evening bowling in the black-light alley, playing laser tag, driving the autobahn speedway, playing unlimited arcade games, dancing to a fabulous DJ, playing pool, eating, and having chances to win fantastic prizes! Order online, download the ticket form and send it to the main office, or pick up a form in the main office. Remember to also complete the risk forms that are found online or attached to this email. Every attendee must have completed permission forms and a parent/guardian must sign, even if the student is 18 years old. If driving in the Autobahn, a copy of a parent/guardian driver's license or government issued ID is also needed. Don’t miss the fun! Not sure if you’ve ordered already or want to see who’s signed up, click here This is a “will call” event. A detailed email will be sent to ticket purchasers soon that will include information on sign-ups for the autobahn and bowling lanes, as well as bus sign-ups. Sign-ups are first-come, first-served, based on when the graduate’s ticket was purchased.
- SOL Testing is Underway: Students who are taking SOLs have received a brightly colored schedule that lists each test, the time the test begins and the location. Please remind your student that cell phones and electronics are not permitted in the test. Please avoid appointments on the days your student is testing and remind them to be on time to their tests. With Westfield having over 6,000 tests to administer, everyone’s help is needed!
- Have you ordered a yearbook yet? The cost for the 2016-2017 WHS Yearbook is now $85, cash only! See Ms. Naeve or the attached form for information.
- Color Guard Spring Clinics: Westfield Color Guard spring clinics are open to all Westfield students, including incoming freshmen! Clinics will be held Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6-8:30 pm through May 25th. Please wear comfortable clothes you can easily move in (athletic shorts and t-shirt) and bring/wear athletic shoes (you may go outside). Bring a friend!! Come be part of this award winning program that combines artistic expression, athleticism, and grace!
- Bouveron/Greiner 5K Run: The SGA is hosting the 2nd annual event on Saturday, May 20th in memory and honor of two special WHS family members. For information and to register, click here.
- Volunteers needed for Bouveron/Greiner 5K Run: Students – still need service hours? Adults – want to help? Please sign up here
- Blood Drive in honor of Stone Middle School’s Ms. Nidz and Ms. Wigle: Only a few donation spots remain…please help fill all the spots. On Wednesday, May 17th from 2 to 8 pm, there will be a blood drive in honor of Ms. Nidz and Ms. Wigle, two of Stone’s teachers who recently passed away from cancer. To sign up, please click here.
- Donations for ANGP Prizes requested: Plans are currently being made for the All Night Graduation Party for our seniors. It is set to be one of the best ANGP’s yet! One part of this fun evening is when students win door prizes -anything from gift cards to haircuts/nail services to college spirit wear to college dorm or apartment essentials – anything a graduating senior might enjoy. If you own a business, know someone who owns a business, or would just like to make a donation to the door prizes, please contact Cathy Roberson at 703-725-9341 or email@example.com. Any and all items are appreciated!
- Outdoor Concessions Volunteers Requested: The athletic boosters have requested a few more volunteers to run concessions during this week’s playoff games! To see what’s needed, click here
- VHSL Sports Physicals at Westfield: On June 21st from 5:30-7:30 pm, WHS will host the annual sports physicals night. The cost is $50 per preregistered student and takes about an hour to complete. Proceeds are donated to the FCPS Athletic Training Program and help treat injured Bulldog athletes. All physicals will be kept on file at Westfield and will be good for the 2017-2018 school year. Physicals are comprehensive and include a physical exam, flexibility and strength assessment, posture screening and a vision exam. Register by clicking here and scrolling to the bottom. Questions? Contact Ms. Partner at firstname.lastname@example.org
- No more checks at WHS does not apply to the PTSA: You may have heard that Westfield HS has stopped accepting checks as a method of payment for the remainder of the school year. This does not apply to anything related to the PTSA – including ANGP tickets. It does apply to prom tickets, fees/fines, and any other money owed to the school.
- 3rd Annual Share Your Hair event: On May 22nd from 3-5 pm, WHS will take part in the third annual Share Your Hair event. Students and faculty are invited to donate at least 8 inches of hair to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program, which makes real hair wigs for women battling cancer. Please see Ms. Sweitzer in R115 or contact Allie Bush at email@example.com with questions or to pick up registration forms or see attached flier for additional details.
- Summer Math Refresher Camp: The math refresher camp will run August 7th-11th from 9-11:30 am and is a summer program designed to prepare students for their fall math class - Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, or Pre-Calculus. The camp is FREE for all Westfield students! Registration is required and the firm deadline to register is July 7th. To register, complete the attached registration form and submit it electronically to Ms. Sweitzer at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bulldog BBQ Planning Has Begun! Plans are underway for the 2017-2018 Bulldog BBQ! If your club or group would like to have a table or do any type of fundraising, you will need to complete a request form. Fundraising is approved on a first come, first served basis, so completing the form early is highly suggested. Watch mailboxes for the forms, which will be out soon. Also, a chair (can be shared) for the Silent Auction fundraiser is needed! Please consider this summer volunteer role and help make this year’s silent auction a success! Questions? Interested? Contact Tricia Monroe at email@example.com
- Crew Congratulations! Congratulations to the Men’s Varsity 1st boat that won the petite final at Saturday’s Virginia Scholastic Rowing State Championships! Congratulations to Luke Dennis, Tyler Lindskoog, Blake McDonald, Sarah Repetti, and Eric Willard! Also, congratulations to the Men’s Varsity 2nd boat that took 2nd in their Virginia Scholastic Rowing State Championship race! Congratulations to Braeden Anderson, Juan Martin Carrasco, Daniel Park, Sarah Repetti, and Michael Zanotti! If your student is interested in joining WHS Crew next year, visit their website for information!
- Legally Blonde Cappies Nominations: Congratulations to everyone involved with Legally Blonde! 14 Cappies Nominations – Musical, Choreography (Emily Bidinger, Sarah Bresnahan, Bridgette Carey), Comic Actor in Musical (Ian Balderston), Critic Team, Ensemble in a Musical (Sorority Girls), Female Dancer (Aubrey Cervarich), Lead Actor in Musical (John Henry Stamper), Lead Actress in Musical (Molly Van Trees), Male Dancer (Gene Kim), Marketing and Publicity (John Coughlin, Anna Krelovich, Diana Witt), Props (Marty Bernier, Kristine Lowkis, Isaac Tarlton), Returning Critic (Diana Witt), Rising Critic (Grace Jenkins), and Supporting Actress in Musical (Aja Rene).
- Turbo-Tutoring: The next ACT prep class is June 7th from 6:30-9:15 pm. To see the calendar and to register for a one-day seminar for SAT or ACT prep, click here or see the flier attached at the bottom of the e-blast.
- Senior Families: Mark your calendars! Baccalaureate for the Class of 2017 will be held June 11th from 5-6 pm.
- Mulch Weekend Business “Thank Yous”: We would like to give a big thank you to our donors and sponsors! Please remember these companies and groups and consider supporting them, just as they support Westfield!
22. FCPS 2017-2018 Calendar: You can see next year’s school calendar here. Remember, school starts August 28th!
23. mySATadvisor.com: An option for SAT prep is mySATadvisor.com Online, unlimited practice and analytics on College Board tests and other popular test publishers. Improve speed and accuracy, practice missed or bookmarked questions, and more. Use promo code WHSPTSA20 for a 20% discount.
24. FCPS Parent Resource Center: There are many resources available at the FCPS Parent Resource center. For information and to register for classes, visit here.
- News You Can Use: If you haven’t already done so, please register to receive PTSA updates through the FCPS News You Can Use program. It’s a bit cumbersome to register but soon, this will be the way the PTSA will send messages. To register: Go to FCPS.edu; Scroll to the bottom then click on the mustard yellow banner “Stay Updated with What’s Happening at FCPS with News You Can Choose; Click the “Sign Up Now box; Enter your email address and click “submit”; Find the button for “High Schools” and select “Westfield”; Choose first line “News and Announcements” then choose second line “PTSA” and click submit. You will see a green banner with a check mark and “Subscriptions Updated”. While in the system, you can opt for other areas of interest as well.
- Athletic Teams Calendar: To see the games/matches/meets for all WHS athletic teams, click here!
- Amazon.com Ordering: If you order from Amazon.com, please access the website through the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage Every order placed earns the PTSA much needed funds, at NO cost to you! Thank you!
- Silent Fundraisers: We participate in several store school support programs, such as Giant’s A+ School Rewards and Harris Teeter’s Together in Education program. You DO have to relink your Harris Teeter card each year but you do not have to relink your Giant card (but please check to ensure that you’ve designated Westfield!) Please check out this link for more information!
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast? Send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Good Luck to all Spring Sports teams and athletes as they continue playoffs!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.