PTSA E-Tidbit News
11/9/17 PTSA E-Blast
Please “LIKE” us on Facebook (Westfield High School PTSA)!
11/11 – Veteran’s Day – Thank you to all who have served our country!
11/14 – Report Cards Distributed
11/14 – “A” Day, 2 Volunteers needed please
11/14 – Sophomore Night, 7 pm
11/16 – PTSA Meeting, Mrs. Sonya Williams Guest Speaker, 7 pm
11/17-11/19 – Theatre’s “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe”
Here are several updates we know about from around the school:
- PTSA Meeting: Thursday, November 16th at 7 pm in the Library: Come hear Mrs. Sonya Williams, Director of Student Services, discuss a possible bell change plan and the reasoning behind it.
- PTSA Membership: If you haven’t already, please join the PTSA this year. You can join online here.
- “A” Day Volunteers Needed – Just 2 more needed! On Tuesday, November 14th, students will receive their report cards for the 1st Quarter. During lunches that day, the PTSA will sponsor prize drawings! Student cab bring their report cards to the volunteers in the cafeteria during all lunches and receive a ticket for each “A” they earned and then enter their tickets for prize drawings! Winners will be announced that afternoon! Two more VOLUNTEERS needed please! If you can help from 11:45-2:00 on Tuesday, November 14th, please email Andrea Jacobs at email@example.com
- Reflections Arts Contest Deadline is November 10th: This year’s theme is “Within Reach”. Entries may be made in the following categories: dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography, and visual arts. For rules and directions, click here. Submissions should be turned in to the front office by November 10th. Thank you to Mr. Sutliff, a WHS alum parent, for coordinating the program again this year!
- College Planning 101 – Sophomore Night, 11/14 at 7 pm in the WHS Cafeteria. Come hear an admissions counselor speak about what colleges look for and how they make decisions.
- Students: stay in shape this winter! Join the Westfield Crew Team for winter conditioning. Led by the Crew Team coaches, winter conditioning is open to all WHS students regardless of whether or not they join the Crew Team. Training begins November 13th and runs through February 16th on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdayas from 4-6 pm and Saturdays 8-10 am. Cost is $115. Contact Ms. Panzer in Room C212 or check out the crew website at http://www.westfieldcrew.org/ for more information and to see what forms are needed.
- Congratulations to Mrs. Grinups! Mrs. Grinups won a Healthy Kids Grant for the Girls’ Only Fitness Classes at Westfield! The grant was awarded by the Community Foundation of Northern Virginia and funds were used to purchase quality sneakers for the students, many of whom are not able to purchase their own! The class was formed several years ago and its popularity continues! It educates female WHS students who are non-athletes and not enrolled in a PE class. The class includes information on healthy diets and activities the students can do to get in 60 minutes of activity every day to help them stay healthy and fit. It is designed to help change the way girls think, feel, and view themselves. This is a very popular class that fills up and has a wait list every year. Wouldn’t it be great if there were enough spots for every girl who wanted to take this inspiring class? Congratulations and Thank you Mrs. Grinups for all you do to inspire our students!
- Theatre’s “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe”: Make plans to come see the talented WHS Theatre students in their first mainstage production of the year – “The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe”. Shows are Friday, November 17 and Saturday, November 18 at 7 pm and Sunday, November 20 at 2 pm. Tickets can be bought at westfieldtheatre.com
- Publicity Chair Needed: The primary role of this position (though it can be molded) is to help promote the mulch and ANGP events by creating fliers, taking pictures, putting together a slide show/video to show parents and students. This is an open-ended role, with room for creativity.
- ANGP: Thank you to Ruben Mercado who has agreed to chair the Class of 2018 All Night Graduation Celebration! He and a committee of volunteers are busy planning the event. More to follow.
- Student Directories: Thanks to Christina Black, the student directories are complete! They will be distributed through 7th period teachers in the next few days. If you ordered a directory, please check with your student early next week to see if it’s in their backpack! Thanks to the sponsors of the directory – a complete list will be published in the next eblast! Forget to order one? A few extras are available. Contact Christina Black at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Easy ways to Support Westfield:
- Giant Food: Please remember to reregister your Giant bonus card. It has to be registered every year and can be done at: https://giantfood.com/school-rewards Our school code is 03798. The program runs October 6th – March 15th.
- Harris Teeter: Register your VIC card at http://www.harristeeter.com/community/together_in_education/link_to_your_school.aspx Our school code is 8134.
- Office Depot: When checking out at the register, please ask them to credit Westfield HS. The code is 70115228. They’ll give 5% back to the school!
- Amazon: Please click on the link on the right side of the PTSA’s webpage before ordering! www.ptsa.westfieldhs.org
- Shutterfly: Please click here to give 13% of your purchase back to the school!
- Bulldog Hot/Cold Tumbler Fundraiser: Support the Westfield Band and show your Westfield pride by purchasing a Bulldog tumbler (see the attached picture). Each 16 oz clear, insulated tumbler with lid is only $20 and makes a great gift. Many college and university designs are also available. Order through your favorite Westfield band student or email email@example.com by November 10.
- Nominations Open for FCPS Outstanding Employee Awards: If you'd like to nominate one of the fabulous WHS staff members for recognition, please use the following links: outstanding Teacher with 3 or more years of experience, click here; outstanding new teacher (fewer than 3 years of experience), click here; outstanding leader, click here; outstanding new principal, click here; outstanding support employee, click here; and outstanding hourly employee, click here.
- Superintendent Brabrand is holding community meetings: There are five scheduled community meetings scheduled this fall. The remaining meeting that is closest to Westfield is November 28th at Chantilly High School. Interpreters will be available but attendees needed the service need to register ahead of time to ensure an interpreter is available. For information, click here.
- Scholarships, Enrichment, and Volunteer Information: Students interested in scholarships, enrichment, and volunteering should stop by the Career Center! There is ever-changing list information available!
- Apprenticeship and Skilled Workforce Career Fair: On November 16th from 11 am to 2 pm at Edison High School, more than 30 employers and trade schools will be present to discuss opportunities. Exhibitors include Dominion Electric, National Park Services, and Wegmans. Students should stop by the Career Center for more information.
- mySATadvisor.com: An option for SAT prep is mySATadvisor.com Online, unlimited practice and analytics on College Board tests and other popular test publishers. Improve speed and accuracy, practice missed or bookmarked questions, and more. Use promo code WHSPTSA20 for a 20% discount.
- FCPS Parent Resource Center:There are many resources available at the FCPS Parent Resource center. For information and to register for classes, visit Upcoming presentation: “Thinking Outside the Box”, creative postsecondary employment ideas. Two dates: 11/28 or 11/29. Click here for to learn more.
- Have something about a club, team, or class at Westfield that you’d like in the e-blast?Send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org
Good luck to all athletes continuing in post-season play –
Field Hockey – State Semi-Final game Friday, 6 pm (Va Beach)
Cross Country – State Meet Friday – Good luck Sam LeBahn
Football – First round of playoffs Friday vs Battlefield. Tickets-$7. No booster passes in post season play.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.