PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 11-17-14
11/20: PTSA Meeting; 7 pm
11/21, 22, 23: Theatre’s “And Then There Were None” Production
11/26: 2 hour early dismissal for Thanksgiving Holiday
11/27 & 11/28: No School – Thanksgiving Holiday
12/3: Little Known Secrets of Paying for College Seminar; 7 pm
Here are several updates from around the school:
1. Library Fundraiser: The WHS library is having a fundraiser on Sunday, Dec. 7th at Barnes & Noble @ Fair Lakes from 1-5pm. There will be all sorts of activities for children. The fund raiser is also good online from Dec. 7-12th (Book fair ID #11369360). Visit BN.COM/bookfairs http://BN.COM/bookfairs to make your order. Books make great gifts!
High school volunteers are needed for various activities during the event. Contact Joann Lesser, Librarian, at JTLesser@fcps.edu<mailto:JTLesser@fcps.edu to volunteer and for more information.
2. The Families in Crisis program at Westfield works with counselors to support current WHS families facing immediate financial hardships and is seeking donations of gift cards. Through generous donations of gift cards from the WHS community, we have been able to help a number of families. As you can probably imagine, the need has jumped recently and our gift card supply is in need of replenishing. The PTSA is not permitted to channel its funds to this type of support but we are honored to be able to act as a support network. If you are interested and able to donate a gift card (not cash, please) in any $5 increment, it would be greatly appreciated. If you are interested in making a large donation, we would greatly appreciate it if you could donate several smaller denomination cards as opposed to one large one. Stores such as Wal-Mart, Target, Giant and Shoppers Food Warehouse are the ones that seem to be easiest for our families in need to access. Any gift card is welcome though! Please send any donations to the main office or mail to: WHS-Families in Crisis, Attn: Meg Crossett, 4700 Stonecroft Blvd, Chantilly, VA 20151.
3. The CDC is working with the Fairfax County Health Department and the Virginia Department of Health to examine risk factors associated with suicide among youth in Fairfax County. The CDC is facilitating the parent focus groups to assist in the identification of risk factors, understand current suicide prevention strategies, and discuss next steps in the community.
The focus groups are being held at the following locations:
Nov. 17, 7:00pm, Virginia Hills Center, 6520 Diane Lane, Alexandria, VA
Nov. 18, 7:00pm, Leis Center, 7423 Camp Alger Ave., Falls Church, VA
Nov. 19, 7:00pm, Mountain View Alternative High School, 5775 Spindle Court, Centreville, VA
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 571-423-4020 if you are able to participate.
4. Directories – Directories were recently distributed through 7th period classes. Thank you to 7th period teachers for your help and thank you to April Milner and Kelly Roberts for putting the directory together! If you missed ordering a directory and would like one, there are a few still available for purchase. Contact email@example.com
5. Little Known Secrets of Paying for College Seminar – 12/3, 7 pm in Lecture Hall. The cost of a college education is higher than ever. How will you afford this expense? What if your children attend an elite or out-of-state school? What if they don’t graduate in four years? The costs can be monumental. This workshop will teach you how to send your children to college without bankrupting your retirement nest egg. Discover strategies that may enable you to qualify for financial aid, scholarship sources and strategies for maximizing your wealth and minimizing your tax exposure, giving you greater cash flow for a college education. Presented by The College Funding Coach.
6. Turbo-Tutoring Class – 11/22. For information on this one morning SAT prep class and to register, visit www.turbo-tutoring.com
7. Westfield Theatre’s Production of And Then There Were None - The show will be on Friday, 11/21 and Saturday, 11/22 at 7 pm and Sunday, 11/23 at 2 pm. Tickets are $10 if purchased online and $12 at the door and are now on sale at www.westfieldtheatreboosters.com.
8. Student Services Link: Have you looked at the Student Services link on the Westfield website? There is a great deal of information available, such as graduation requirements, testing dates, and course information.
9. Parent Liaisons: Did you know that Westfield has a Korean and Spanish parent liaison? Ms. Soon Kim, Korean parent liaison, is at Westfield on Mondays and Wednesdays from 7:30 am to 1 pm. Araceli Manoatl, Spanish parent liaison, is at Westfield Mondays from 8 am - 3:30 pm, Tuesdays 9 am – 11 am, Wednesdays from 1:30-3:30, Thursdays from 8 am – 11 am and Fridays from 9 am – 2:30 pm. Both can be reached at 703-488-6564.
10. World Languages Fundraiser: The World Languages Department is raising money to pay for the language lab. The department recently learned that the lab, which was thought to be a donation, must now be paid for. The lab is used by over 1,800 students. The department is holding a Honey Baked Ham fundraiser. 20% of all sales will be donated. Orders are due by 11/22 and will be available for pick up on Tuesday, 11/24, or by arranging a pick-up with Ms. Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org . To order, please visit: http://tinyurl.com/SupportWestfield
11. Protect Against Substance Abuse: On November 18th (Fairfax High School), the United Prevention Coalition of Fairfax will present a community program including information on the signs and symptoms of teenage drug abuse, the actions parents can take, and where to find supportive resources. The presentations will begin at 7 pm and all are welcome. For more information, visit: www.unitedpreventioncoalition.org
12. Have you downloaded the free FCPS app? http://www.fcps.edu/news/mobile-app.shtml
13. Silent Fundraisers: Please help the PTSA support Westfield by taking part in the following silent fundraisers:
Giant Food: Designate Westfield for your Bonus card at http://www.giantfood.com/aplus/register-card/ Westfield’s code is 03798 You do NOT have to reregister if you were registered last year but please confirm your enrollment and school.
Harris Teeter: Designate Westfield for your VIC card at http://www.harristeeter.com/default.aspx?pageId=32 WHS code is 8134
Target: If you use a RED card (credit or debit), please designate WHS, code116684 via http://www.target.com/redcard/main
Office Depot: Present ID 70115228 when you shop at Office Depot to help earn free supplies. For information, visit: http://www.officedepot.com/a/promo/backtoschool/5percent/?cm_sp=FooterLinks-_-products-_-5PercentBack
Amazon: Click the link on the right side of the PTSA webpage for 4% or more credit to the PTSA at no cost to you. Ptsa.westfieldhs.org
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.