PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 12-1-14
12/3: Little Known Secrets of Paying for College Seminar – 7 pm
12/6: BITS Tutoring (free), WHS Library- 9:30-11:00 am
12/7: Library Fundraiser (See below)
1/10: Practice SAT/ACT Test (See below)
Here are several updates from around the school:
- Little Known Secrets of Paying for College Seminar: Wednesday, December 3rd, 7 pm in Lecture Hall. All in the community are invited. The cost of a college education is higher than ever. How will you afford this expense? What if your children attend an elite or out-of-state school? What if they don’t graduate in four years? The costs can be monumental. This workshop will teach you how to send your children to college without bankrupting your retirement nest egg. Discover strategies that may enable you to qualify for financial aid, scholarship sources and strategies for maximizing your wealth and minimizing your tax exposure, giving you greater cash flow for a college education. Presented by The College Funding Coach.
- Library Fundraiser: The library is having a fundraiser on Sunday, December 7th from 1 pm to 5 pm at the Barnes and Noble at Fair Lakes. There will be activities for children. The fundraiser is good online from December 7th-12th (Book Fair ID is #11369360). Visit http://bn.com/bookfairs
- Student Volunteers Needed: Volunteers are needed to help with activities during the library’s fundraiswer. Contact Mrs. Lesser at email@example.com to volunteer or for more information.
- Practice SAT/ACT Test: The PTSA and Kaplan are sponsoring a practice SAT/ACT Combination test on Saturday, January 10, 2015 from 8 am until noon. Students will have an opportunity to take a practice test to assess their performance before attempting the official exams. Test participants will be provided with a detailed score report highlighting personal strengths and weaknesses. Following the practice test, students and parents are invited to participate in a complimentary, individual, thirty-minute consultation with a Kaplan test expert. To register, please visit: http://bitly.com/SATACTWestfield The registration fee is $20 per student. Please make checks payable to the WHS PTSA and mail to 4700 Stonecroft Blvd, Chantilly, VA 20151 and please include student name in the memo line.
- The Families in Crisis program at Westfield works with counselors to support current WHS families facing immediate financial hardships and is seeking donations of gift cards. Through generous donations of gift cards from the WHS community, we have been able to help a number of families already this year. As you can probably imagine, the need has jumped recently and our gift card supply is in need of replenishing. The PTSA is not permitted to channel its funds to this type of support but we are honored to be able to act as a support network. If you are interested and able to donate a gift card (not cash, please) in any $5 increment, it would be greatly appreciated. If you are interested in making a large donation, we would greatly appreciate it if you could donate several smaller denomination cards as opposed to one large one. Stores such as Wal-Mart, Target, Giant and Shoppers Food Warehouse are the ones that seem to be easiest for our families in need to access. Any gift card is welcome though! Please send any donations to the main office or mail to: WHS-Families in Crisis, Attn: Meg Crossett, 4700 Stonecroft Blvd, Chantilly, VA 20151. Thank you to the everyone who has already sent gift card donations.
- The Academic Celebration of Excellence (A.C.E.) committee needs assistance with a few tasks that may be done at home and have a minimal time requirement. Tasks include quarterly honor roll certificate related activities (only two quarters’ needs remain this year). For more details, please text or call Andria Gregory at 703-400-8538. Thank you.
- Senior Parents: Only 150 members of the Class of 2015 have submitted activities to run next to their names in the yearbook. Please ask your senior to see if he/she has submitted activities and achievements at http://tinyurl.com/SENIORBRAGS15
- Senior Parents: Tickets for the Class of 2015 All Night Grad Party will go on sale soon! Watch for a Keep-In-Touch message with details. Great holiday gift for your senior!
- Mulch Day Chair(s) Needed: One or two volunteers are needed to lead the mulch day event scheduled for April 10 and 11, 2015. A great team of support committee chairs is in place but we need someone to lead the way. No experience needed and a parent of a student of any grade is welcome! Please help us with this important event! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to volunteer! Thank you.
10. Directories: Do you wish that you ordered a directory this year? There are a few remaining copies available for purchase at $10 each. Please email email@example.com if you would like one.
11. Football: The football team will play Centreville HS in the Conference 6A Semi-finals game this Saturday, December 6th at 2:00 pm, gates open at 12:45 pm at Centreville. Tickets are $10 each and no passes will be honored. Go Bulldogs!
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.