PTSA E-Tidbit News
PTSA E-blast 1-12-15
KEY DATES (complete calendar at ptsa.westfieldhs.org):
1/12-1/16: Spirit Week
1/15: PTSA Meeting-Mr. Thomas’s “State of the School”
1/19: Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
1/29: End of Quarter – 2 hour Early Release
1/30 and 2/2: Student Holidays
Here are several updates from around the school:
- The Winter Spirit Week is this week, Monday, January 12th to Friday, January 16th. Monday is Pajama Day. Tuesday is Twin Day. Wednesday is Neon Day. Thursday is Tie Dye/Hippie Day. Friday is a White Out. Dress in white to support the boys and girls basketball teams as they play against Herndon.
- Seniors and Senior Parents: Tickets for the Class of 2015 All Night Grad Party Celebration (ANGP) are now on sale! This year’s ANGP will take place at Alto Plaza. Tickets are $65 per student until March 31st and the price goes up after that. For more information and to purchase tickets, please click here: WHS PTSA Website You may either purchase the tickets online, print the order form and send it to the main office, or pick up an order form in the main office. Questions? Please contact Ellen Ryder and/or Aimee Lowry at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Have you joined the Westfield HS PTSA yet this year? If you aren’t sure, please email our Membership Chair at email@example.com. Remember, if your senior plans to apply for a WHS PTSA scholarship this year, membership needs to be on file by the end of the first semester (January 29). To join, you can download the form: PTSA Membership Form or go to ptsa.westfieldhs.org and click on “Join PTSA Today”.
- “Why did my teenager do that?” – Upcoming Parent Coffee. If you ever asked a question like that, please join us for a parent coffee on Friday, February 6th from 8:30-10:00 am in the Lecture Hall. Neil McNerney (LPC, educator and author) will explore that question in his presentation about “The Teenage Brain”. Neil has worked with students and families for over twenty years. Neil was actually a member of our local school family, having been a part of the founding staff at Deer Park Elementary as a counselor. Throughout the years, Neil has worked closely with families in our community and knows the challenges we face. We are fortunate to have Mr. McNerney join us on February 6th. We hope you will be there. www.neilmcnerney.com.
Second Annual National History Day Fair at Westfield High School
Do you want to be a part of history? If so, volunteer at our National History Day Fair! The Social Studies department is in need of a few more judges to evaluate the History Day projects created by the honors students at our school. Come be a part of our gallery walk or watch amazing documentaries created by our students. The second annual National History Day Fair will take place on Thursday, Feb 12th. If you are interested in becoming a judge please follow the link to sign up: http://tinyurl.com/o9929rk You may not judge your own student’s category.
Questions? Email Jennifer Santiago firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mulch Day: Mulch Weekend is April 10th and 11th– Please mark your calendars! Many parent and student volunteers (all grade levels) are needed to make this event a success! Details available soon.
- Senior Parents/Seniors: The Fairfax County Council of PTAs (FCCPTA) will award $1,000 scholarships to five graduating FCPS seniors planning to attend an accredited college/university for the 2015/2016 academic year. The FCCPTA will also award the Catherine A. Belter Memorial Scholarship of $1500 to one graduating FCPS student planning to enter the field of education or other child related field at an accredited university/college for the 2015/16 school year. The FCCPTA Scholarships will be awarded to students who have, among other traits, demonstrated responsibility, character and leadership during their high school career. Applicants must be a 2014-2015 student member of their high school PTSA and PTSA must be in good standing (which WHS PTSA is). Applications can be found at
FCCPTA Student Scholarship The deadline for both scholarships is March 31, 2015.
8. The Virginia PTA is offering scholarships as well. Information can be found at: VA PTA Scholarship The deadline is March 1, 2015.
9. The Virginia PTA and Virginia529 are sponsoring an essay contest, with the submission deadline being February 1, 2015. The topic of the essay is “I can positively influence my peers by….” Information can be found at: Essay Contest
10. Directories: Do you wish that you ordered a directory this year? There are a few remaining copies available for purchase at $10 each. Please email email@example.com if you would like one.
The Westfield High School PTSA
This newsletter/Eblast was sent to Visitor ()
You may to Westfield HS PTSA newsletter/Eblast anytime.